iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Road Trip

Started by Sailor Mars, August 11, 2021, 11:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor Mars

Some friends and I have upped and left Central NY to go on a road trip down to Nashville, TN. We've driven through some scenic areas, including the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Smokey's! Me on the left, and my buddy in the right 
Forestry undergrad, forest tech and trail crew work

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sailor Mars

WV Sawmiller

Are you sure you're not in WV? That is sure what it looks like around here. Enjoy the trip and hurry back.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Quote from: Sailor Mars on August 12, 2021, 11:20:54 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on August 11, 2021, 02:23:44 PM
You guys on bikes?
Just driving my friends car
How do you compare the Smokey's vs the Adirondacks?
I've spent a lot of time in both and find them to be pretty alike minus the weather.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sailor Mars

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 12, 2021, 11:54:56 AM
 Are you sure you're not in WV? That is sure what it looks like around here. Enjoy the trip and hurry back.
Haha, pretty sure! We drove down from NY to VA, stopped there for lunch with some family, and then headed down to NC and stayed the night with a friend. We drove along the blue ridge parkway into TN and stopped at pretty much every scenic overlook and visitor center. And thank you! 
Quote from: Raider Bill on August 12, 2021, 12:06:12 PM
Quote from: Sailor Mars on August 12, 2021, 11:20:54 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on August 11, 2021, 02:23:44 PM
You guys on bikes?
Just driving my friends car
How do you compare the Smokey's vs the Adirondacks?
I've spent a lot of time in both and find them to be pretty alike minus the weather.
New York is kind of that weird area that's in between the Appalachians going upwards and the ranges that pass through in New England, so it definitely has similar and shared characteristics. I found that driving through the Smokey's (and the south in general so far) its been disgustingly humid and hot. Forest types are also rather different, a lot of oak hickory with some softwoods smattered in like pine and fir, while up north there's definitely just maple birch beech, with spruce fir and old growth hemlock present (ESPECIALLY present in the Adirondacks). Super interesting to see the differences in the different forests and environments, and how that changes while driving down the coast

Thank You Sponsors!