iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

our spouses/ significant others

Started by petefrom bearswamp, January 11, 2022, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

I'm sure all here love our spouses/significant others dearly, but do any of you get into unwinnable "discussions" with them on very trivial subjects?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LeeB

What does trivial have to do with it? I thought that was any subject.  :D :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

Big subjects we nearly always find an agreement. Trivial matters, almost never😂
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

Has the universe slipped?
You're wrong, admit it, say you're sorry and move on  :D

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

"Winning" a discussion with the wife?  I'm sure that 98% of the unwinnable discussions at my house aren't really worth "winning." :o :D  So I don't really push too hard on them.  It isn't because that me "winning" puts me out of her good graces but more that the whole topic isn't worth the time and energy to spend much time discussing.  

The other 2% does create some serious debate.  

Here is an actual example of the 98% of the trivial unwinnable at our house.  We are watching a movie together. 

Wife, "She is pretty isn't she?" 
Wisened Ted, who has fallen in this trap before, in as noncommittal tone as possible, "umph"
Wife, "What's that mean?"
Wisened Ted seeing the unwinnable is about to occur, "I believe I will fix some popcorn.  Can I pause the movie?"
Usually the topic goes away.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Tom King

One of the funniest commercials ever was with Abe Lincoln, and his Wife.  They were dressing in the bedroom, and she turned to him and asked. "Does this make my butt look big?"  To which he was only able to give a puzzled, and disturbing look.

JJ

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

I can't believe I just watched 2 commercials so I could watch a commercial, but I do believe that the senior member of this discussion knows full well the answer to the question of which he posed. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerTed

Poor ole Honest Abe!  He fell right into the trap!  

Warning words that the unwinnable is about to occur "Do you think (fill in the rest of the question)?  

Some times the trap is hidden, "She's pretty, isn't she?" That's just another way of asking "Do you think she's pretty?"  Warning Warning it is a trap!

They also know the old trick of turning the answer into a compliment is just a bunch of compost.  "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" "Aw Honey, you look great!"  or "You sure are pretty!"  Warning Warning this is the wrong way to handle it.  You are better off faking a terrible coughing spell and tell her you choked on your own spit.  

Then there's the "When did you buy _______?"  Tool, implement, fishing gear, rifle, etc etc  Warning Warning the unwinnable is about to occur.  Always Always have a little something stashed away to divert her attention.  Like "Hey Honey, I just remembered I have this very pretty ring/necklace/bracelet I picked up at an estate sale (code for pawn shop) and it is just for you!"

Oh and "Why did you _______?"  There is no answer to satisfy her depending upon the tone of the question.  See the choking on your own spit defense above.  Falling off a ladder works just as well as does swatting at an imaginary bee near her head.

Should any of these work for you, please let me know.  My success has been marginal as can be determined by examining the lumps on my head. :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I just posted this reminder in another 'no-win' topic last week.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

You younger guys can maybe try this, she might not be onto it 
fred sanford heart attack
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nebraska

I never wonder why Dad forgets to put his "ears" (hearing aids) on any more. ;)

snobdds

My problem was I didn't listen.  Shocking.   She and I met because we both loved to snowboard and she was good at it. We still have that bond.  However she always wanted to go hunting with me.  In my circle, woman didn't hunt.  They went shopping.  It was hard for me to give in and take her hunting. It caused a lot of arguing those early years.  So I conceded and took her.  Well, she's better at it than me.  Now I can't go without taking her with me.  That is one reason I built a cabin, she didn't really like the canvas wall tent hunting...but cabin hunting she is down for. 

mike_belben

the correct answer to "is she pretty"  is "ehh.. shes okay but too skinny/young etc for me"  
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Good response. Another is "Is she pretty? Yes, but she isn't smart enough to do half of what you do."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

WV with that response in mind has it ever occurred to you that perhaps all those African coup attempts, snakes on a plane, and falling sawmill heads might not have been accidents after all?  Rather cleverly designed life insurance claim attempts?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

Never ever ever ever ever say I told you so a week after letting  her win an argument and having  events prove that you were really right smiley_ignore smiley_argue01 smiley_furious3
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

In April it will be 45 years for us. When we hit 20 I started saying "If I had shot her when I wanted to, I would be out by now". at around 30 years I started to realize she could be saying the same thing and I wouldn't blame her.
 The truth (for us) is that as time goes by you just accept the stuff you can't change and keep your eye on the big picture. Over time that becomes more clear and easier to do. Yes, once folks hit a 'certain age' the 'develop' new ' things' to disturb their spouses. My wife now argues with the TV, especially 'reality' and home improvement  shows. I just let it go and let her enjoy her argument.

Howard,  next time you have an unfortunate ATV accident perhaps you should consider forensic analysis to check the steering and brakes. Just sayin'
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

She knows nobody else would put up with her and she knows she has had a more interesting and adventurous life with me than she could have had with anyone else. She likes seeing new things and places and meeting new people. When I was in the USMC after we'd been on station a couple of years she tell me "You need to call you assignment monitor. We need to go see some place new." I'd tell her "But I like it here." then I'd go call my monitor. ::)

I can't say too much bad about her because she has put up with a lot raising the kids alone while I was off in a foreign assignment and sometimes they were in war zones or close enough most people would not know the difference. She has bought homes and vehicles and such on her own and is not real tolerant of or real impressed with some of her friends worry about insignificant things like a washing machine or car breaking down or such. She'd tell them "Fix it or go buy another one."

She called me one time while I was in Africa and broke down crying on the phone and scared me to death thinking something had happened to one of the kids or such. Finally she calmed down enough to tell me the car motor was shot. I got mad and told her "Don't you ever call me and scare me like that over property damage. If you're not calling to tell me our son has dropped out of school and joined a heavy metal rock band and our daughter is dating the drummer, its not worth crying over." She laughed and got things in perspective after that.

I did tell her the first time we went shopping after we got married and she slowed down and picked up a pack of canned biscuits and a TV dinner "Don't even think about it." and in over 44 years she has not fed me either.  

You have to train them right from the start!
Howard Green

snobdds

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 11, 2022, 08:23:39 PMI did tell her the first time we went shopping after we got married and she slowed down and picked up a pack of canned biscuits and a TV dinner "Don't even think about it." and in over 44 years she has not fed me either.     You have to train them right from the start!

I love my wife, but she can't cook to save her life.  She can survive on peanut butter toast and grapes. 

Subsequently, I too can survive on peanut butter and grapes. 

Bruno of NH

I learned after a divorce 
That I wasn't arguing with anyone any more.
I feel much better
Now I just go yup,yup,yup 
Sheila' s Dad would get a big kick out of it.
I'm just lucky to have someone who can stand me . :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!