iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WDH Danny Hamsley

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

The first time I met Danny was at our first pig roast and my impression of him then was there goes a fine  fellow.
We stayed at the deer path motel and Jake I believe you and Danny stayed there also.
I t was a barely adequate place to stay and I recall we all left at about the same time for home.
I seem to recall a brief discussion about the accommodations.
consequent meetings were at other pig roasts and at Jake's.
Every time reinforced my opinion of Danny.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

firefighter ontheside

This is my only picture of WDH.  Danny couldn't make it to the pig roast last year and he was not happy about it.  He still wanted to have a presence there.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

Actually, Danny didn't know about the sign that Furby made to bring. It stands in my shop now for all to see. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DbltreeBelgians

Ah yes, I remember that sign well
RIP WDH

Brent

Cedarman

Many years ago I asked a long time caving buddy why he made so many long trips to go caving, events and other happenings. He said he wanted to make as many memories as he could because there would be a time when he couldn't make those memories and wanted to have as many as possible when he got to that point. That is why I go to pig roasts , sawing events and other things that may take a long time to get there.  I am so thankful for the memories of WDH. Visiting at the pig roast, at Jake's and the several times I stopped at his place in Ga.  One memorable time Danny invited us to hunt pigs at his place because they were rooting up his woods.  Just a passing conversation at the pig roast led to a great weekend. My son, Ian who is now a hurricane, my brother, and my SIL went to Ga to get some pig.  We stayed in his old house that had become a drying room.  He said he would not turn up the heat because it might bring the rattlesnakes out.  That was Danny humor. Jake showed up Sat evening and we had the greatest catfish dinner of all time.  A Great Evening.  I am so thankful for the memories with WDH from visiting and from reading on the forum. As my caving friend said, there will come a time when we won't be able to make more.  I think we all wish we could make more memories with Danny.  RIP  
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

My Mom said; "Do it while you can so that you can enjoy it when you can't".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Now that's a quote to remember.
Take pictures too!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

It's going to be tough to find a new last word in tree ID. Always thought I'd have liked to meet him. RIP.

Brad_bb

Has anyone reached out to Danny's wife to offer assistance if needed to help value/sell wood or equipment or do a clean up day?  I know it's not like a farmer where you need to help bring in his crop, but if she needs assistance all the same....Maybe someone close by could take the lead and when she's ready, and let us know how many volunteers are needed?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

I think Jake (and others) has done so.  thanks for your thoughts BB.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

customsawyer

I've offered assistance and she said she was going to need some help. I'm sure she is taking a little bit of time to adjust before diving off in all of that. Between the daughters, son in laws, brother, nephew and other friends/family that live close by she is well taken care of. I was there 3 out of the first 4 days after he passed and thought I would give them a little breathing room. Several of them have my number and I feel they would reach out if they needed anything.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

Thanks Jake for being the face, heart and soul for the rest of us that cannot be there.  Godspeed!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brad_bb

Yeah, even if she takes 6 months or a year to adjust, there's enough good people on this forum to help when needed.  Hope she knows that, and how many people he touched.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kelLOGg

He was one of my favorite contributors to the forum. Sad to hear of his passing.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

customsawyer

Finally found one of the pictures I have been looking for. It's one of my favorites of Danny. This is a truck load of pecan and I had lots of fun picking on him about making me come get a load of the devil wood  smiley_devil as he called it. He still had the LT15 at the time so I brought it to my place and sawed it for him to sell. This load brought many more great days of sawing with this fine man. His smile says it all.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

That is a mighty fine moment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

You should hear Jake tell the story of that load of logs. Nice picture! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

Danny actually posted it all on here back when it happened. His story is probably better. He had a memory.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

stanwelch

Thanks for posting this Jake. One of many many great memories 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Old Greenhorn

Well, for all to enjoy, I searched and found The Great Pecan Project which all can read and enjoy. I'll add no more, Danny, Jake, and the peanut gallery do it best. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

YellowHammer

Jake and Old Greenhorn - Thanks for posting and finding that - it made me smile this morning.  

How cow, those were some big dog logs, I liked the picture of the dump truck crane boom bent over like a fishing rod reeling in a whopper.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Mooseherder

I think this is the same wood I came up and got for the farm table.

Resonator

Wowzers! I think a LT15 would run and hide if it saw those logs on the truck!  :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

TroyC

Just found this about WDH, I'm still in disbelief, so sad. I met Danny at Jake's this year. He took the time to come to my place and give me some valuable advice on my trees and property. I just recently finished the thinning and cut based on the advice from his visit. I sent him a 'Thank You' couple weeks ago after the cut and did not hear back from him. I'm stunned to find this........

customsawyer

If you have been to one of the sawing projects, then you have a idea how things are setup. In the pecan project my mill was setting about where the Canteck planer is now. If you were ever at Danny's, his kiln is where he was air drying the pecan. Danny was always one of my biggest cheerleaders.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!