iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End Grain Cutting Boards

Started by fstedy, November 25, 2006, 04:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I have a 4x36 bench sander, it's not much better than my 4x24.

I may try to make up a jig for the router, of course that means I need to go get a bigger router bit, I've only got a 1/2" one....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

How much you out on the thickness? Mines 6" x 50", but still your smaller one should do it. Maybe it's the grit? Of course Oak, or Cherry is pretty hard stuff. I guess I thought it would save time and aggravation. Nothing is ever easy it seems.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

1/2" bit is what I used. Took a few extra passes, but did a smooth job too. Just use a stiff enough board to hang the router on and not get any deflection (and real cautious that the board doesn't drop off'n the frame  :-X :'( )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

I've run a couple dozen end grain boards through my bench top planer with no trouble. First I misted the surface to be planed with a water bottle, then took a light pass.  After each pass, I would mist again.  This makes the very top layer you are planing just a little softer.  Even the trailing edge of the cutting board didn't splinter out. It is rounded over later anyway. :)

Just remember - very light passes (1/64").  After all the laminations are leveled off with the planer and the wood surface has dried, it gets sent through the drum sander with 120 grit, then it gets finished off with the random orbit sander using 180 grit.
This process has made it very efficient for me. ;)

Something I forgot to mention was that after the glue up, I scape all squeeze out off once the glue has set up a bit.  I make the first pass through the planer before the glue has completely hardened.  This keeps you from killing your knives. :-X
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!