iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Fence Boards

Started by DR Buck, April 23, 2004, 05:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

What "actual" thickness do you cut fence boards for 3 & 4 board fencing?     ???

They are advertised as 1 1/4" thick.   When I cut them using the standard scale at 5/4 they appear to be a lot thicker than "store bought" boards.   Should I consider a different scale?   ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

woodmills1

For lumber a "finished" 5/4 board is actually one inch thick.  The oak fencing I cut for a local fence company I cut on the woodmizer 4/4 scale.  The company owner likes them because they are thicker than "the ones we used to get."  I charge them 10 bucks for 16 foot 1 x 6 and they are happy witth them.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DR Buck

I went to the farm co-op today and measured their 1 1/4" x 6" x 16' fence boards.  They all measure between 1" and 1 1/8" thick.  

I was thinking  ::)  that if I use the 4/4 on the "grade scale" side of the rule, I would get 1 1/8 finished boards.   This is slightly thicker than most of what the co-op sells.

QuoteI charge them 10 bucks for 16 foot 1 x 6 and they are happy with them.

woodmills1 - If you get $10 for a fence board, your doing REALLY GREAT.   They sell at most of the suppliers like the co-op for $7.25 each.  I charge $2.50  (.25 bf) to make them from the customers logs.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!