iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rare chainsaws

Started by Nate379, November 25, 2014, 07:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate379

I thought this would be fun.

I found a labor rate book at the shop yesterday listing saws and hours for the repair.  The book is circa probably 1970s.

It had Allis Chalmers chainsaws in there.  I had never heard of Allis making saws!

I did some interweb reading and I guess many were made by Wright.  We have 4 or 5 Wright saws at the shop.  Two of them are reciprocating type vs a looped chain even.

So let's here some stories...

fossil

The Allis saws were all manufactured by Poulan. Poulan bought Wright saws out and those are the reciprocating saws. I think the others are Poulan 25's, 306's, and 361's.
All very good saws.
Tim

dennyb

Quote from: Nate379 on November 25, 2014, 07:43:00 AM
I thought this would be fun.

I found a labor rate book at the shop yesterday listing saws and hours for the repair.  The book is circa probably 1970s.

It had Allis Chalmers chainsaws in there.  I had never heard of Allis making saws!

I did some interweb reading and I guess many were made by Wright.  We have 4 or 5 Wright saws at the shop.  Two of them are reciprocating type vs a looped chain even.

So let's here some stories...

I had a Massey Ferguson saw back in the 70's. I have seen John Deer saws too but never saw an allis. My forst bush job was thinning with that massey chainsaw that had to weigh at least 35 lb. After my first pay I bought a new Husqvarna 1100 which weighed much less and would cut anything.

Al_Smith

Any number of them had their name on chainsaw at one time .A few ,Indian,Silver King ,Allis Chalmers .

To me one of the more interesting being the Poulan S-25 and variants .
As the model in 1974 being sold as a Poulan the price was $169.95 however sold under names like Ridgid,Dayton or others $139.95 ,same saw different paint .

Poulan could care less what color it was they made money .Good little saw too no matter what color it was . ;D

timberlinetree

I've got a wright saw in my collection!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

coxy

the old 34-4400 pullons  wasn't to bad a saw  just through out 8 old blue xl 12s that sat in the shed for the last 30years some may have ran with little to no work   no one here wanted them

ehp

I got I guess close to 20 old saws , most are up north at my other place but I did bring my contra S down here with me , its pretty much a brandnew saw

sawguy21

DanG coxy, I have been looking for those. :D Actually, I have one sitting in the shed along with a Super 2 and a like new Husky 35.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 25, 2014, 12:39:04 PM
DanG coxy, I have been looking for those. :D Actually, I have one sitting in the shed along with a Super 2 and a like new Husky 35.
the blue x l 12s  if so there is people all over up here thats got them the other thing is to talk them out of them :D

husky55guy

Anyone got a Pioneer sitting around or still in use? I have a Farmsaw II that was made in 1982 (when I was born). 66cc and still going strong. My dad has another one that needs an ignition module and it'll be rolling. Love that saw!
Husqvarna 55 (1998 got it when I was 16). Husqvarna 357xp.
Pioneer Farmsaw II (1982 model)

Thank You Sponsors!