iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wild bush honeysuckle?

Started by Jeff, June 20, 2022, 03:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I found this growing down by my front field in the wood edge. The double berry made me think it was probably an ez od but it keeps coming up invasive in searches, but it sure is out all by itself if it is.  Could it be Wild bush honeysuckle and is it invasive?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wisconsitom

Fruits seem too oblong so far, but foliage is similar.  Wonder if there's a native, good one that fruits like that.

Do some checking later when I get home.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Otis1

I think it is American Fly Honeysuckle. It that is the case, it is a native plant. 

wisconsitom

There you go, Otis 1's got it.

Good honeysuckle, not the tangling, chocking invasive junk, like we got down here in A-Town area..🤬

Jeff

wisconsitom

Jeff I'ma thinking that bush and everything else around that area got a good soaking earlier, huh?  Seen radar that looked on the intense side over that way.

Jeff

1.1" just today. 3rd time my garden area has had rivers running through it. Im guessing 2" a week the last 3 weeks, plus hail as big as marbles and wind 2 days ago that broke my squash plants off at the ground.

Otis1

Glad my plant ID skills are still working. Thanks UWSP

There is also a native Northern bush honeysuckle (Diervilla lonicera) that should be throughout our general region. Keep an eye out and don't mistake it for an invasive. It's pretty easy to identify and from what I have seen, it doesn't get to the same size as the invasives.

Wisconsitom, the invasive honeysuckles and most of the other nasty ones seem to mostly stay south/west of the "tension zone". Of course there are always exceptions, (Door County)most of the really thick patches I've encountered have roughly followed that line and below.

wisconsitom

Agree....so far.  Common buckthorn is creeping up into central Oconto County....other places.  I wonder when the tension zone will have to be moved...

Only invasive on land I own near Suring are ag weeds-reed canary, a few bull and Canada thistles, no woody crap.

chet

Buckthorn showed up on my property in the U.P. about 10 years ago. Since then it has spread like wildfire.  :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Otis1

I agree, I think everything is going to start moving north. I've found J. barberry and honeysuckle way out middle of nowhere in the C-N National Forest

Southside

Imagine talking to your ancestors about that DanG Osage Orange that had escaped from it's native zone and was all over the place - you know the tree that is revered by many today.  Things are, and always have been, in a state of change.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

wisconsitom

You just don't want buckthorn in your woods.  May as well kiss forestry goodbye.

SwampDonkey

Yes, you guys have it, it's a fly honeysuckle. I planted one from the woods out behind the house under the spruce trees a few year ago. They have nice yellow flowers in spring.

I discovered another kind of honey suckle out in the back yard a couple years ago. The birds must have planted it. I don't know the kind, but I know it's not native. It has a pea sized berry I think.

Hummers like it and the weigela.

Here's my fly honeysuckle, it's an old photo in the gallery. :)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We've been getting the same kind of rain as Jeff over here in central NB, along the border with Maine, for 3 or 4 weeks. We had over 2-1/2" last week. But the ground here drains quick, a couple days of sun and wind and you're off and running, hoeing potatoes. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: wisconsitom on June 21, 2022, 11:00:43 AM
You just don't want buckthorn in your woods.  May as well kiss forestry goodbye.
Have had buckthorn in my woods, and feel I have it under control. Not kissed any forestry goodbye. Not sure what you mean tho. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wisconsitom

All a matter of degree, my friend.  I think you're in SC Wisconsin more or less, maybe more SE.  What I can say with incredible breadth of experience is that in areas like Ozaukee,  Milwaukee Counties, and on up into the Fox Valley, where I actually live, incredible seed bank exists in these areas such that a serious control regimen is, as I'm sure you know, a multi year proposition.  And if the neighbors are not doing same, quite likely futile.  When I was working, we would successfully deal with the bucks and honeys....but that's bracketed within the confines of our sites, and the timespan during which such intensive management was or will be deemed desirable or even possible....

I was horrified to see all the common buck infiltrating the oak/pine in Waushara Cty.  It's all over the place there.  Thought maybe the acid sandy stuff would keep it out.  Not so.

When I was growing up, places like the Black Creek swamp in Outagamie Cty. was a "cedar swamp".  Now it's a buckthorn/fragmites stand...

My point would be...to anyone who first sees buckthorn in their woods...to do as you have apparently done... control it!👍

wisconsitom

Heh, just re read my brief note above, noticed it doesn't mention...in the areas where severe invasion has taken hold, you will have no regen (other than buckthorn).  That's often a problem in forestry!

Maybe it's not so bad by you, @beenthere?  Or again, a smallish area can be kept clean by a dedicated individual, have done it many times, but what about large tracts, over longer time-frames?  

Thank You Sponsors!