iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black cherry ?

Started by pitsaw, April 13, 2011, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitsaw

With the arrival of my new mill being friday.Been trying to get stocked up on logs so I dropped a couple of real nice bcherry's today off my land 20"large side 18"small side 18' and a couple smaller ones, had pic's but my 16month old son gave my camera a bath in the dog water bowl.... >:( (hopfully the sim card is still good an i post pics). My ? is how should I cut these ? and sticker them? I would like it to air dry in my covered leanto ?  should i spray it with borax/water to keep the ants/bugs out of it?

thanks in advance Jason

tyb525

I'd seal the ends with wax or latex paint, and cut mostly 4/4 (1"), but also possibly some thicker stock. Note the thicker stock will take longer to dry.

When you sticker them, make sure you have a good level base. I use 4x4's every 2 feet on the ground, then the lumber on top of that.

Cut stickers 1" square and about 4' wide. Place them in between each layer of wood 16-20" apart. Make sure they line up vertically. I'd make each stack no wider than 4'. It sounds like it will be under cover, so that's good. It would be a good idea to put something heavy on top of the stack, such as cinder blocks.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pitsaw

Thats what I needed to know thanks ty..

ladylake

if your not going to use 18' lengths cut them in half, way easier to handle and if there's stress in the logs 9' will saw a lot better. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pitsaw

yeah thats what i was planing its a lil over 18'6" . I also keep the crotch log and will prolly mill that as well? It should be alright to seal the ends up in the morining right?  thanks jason

tyb525

What Steve said, 9' is much easier to handle if you don't need 18' long boards. The ends should be waxed asap, however in cooler weather a few days won't hurt too much.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jasperfield

Cherry checks very quickly. Sometimes I think it's checking before the tree hits the ground.

ljmathias

I had a big old cherry that was knocked over in a hurricane a while back and milled the crotch- pulled one piece out of the stickered stack over air drying for fine years and it seemed alright although it "bent" a little.  Haven't had need of more lately or time to use it properly but I do look forward to making something unusual out of the crotch cuts- turned out they were mostly quartersawn anyway, by luck and not by intentions as I was new at this back then.  I'd definitely try it, what do you have to loose?  Besides, worse case is you have a great story and fascinating pictures to show us of how bad it went...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

pitsaw

man ya'll gonna make me worrie all night lol hopfully they ain't bad in the mornin. How do I was a log that size? with my turning stock I heat up a steel pot with beeswax in it and dip them..I have a good bit of latex paint an some anchorseal what would be best?
 thanks jason

tyb525

Anchorseal works the best by far. That's what I and many others use. Put it on with an old brush, fairly thick (it will soak up some).

I haven't seen cherry check too fast, other than heart check and those aren't caused by drying out. Don't worry, they'll be fine ;)

Magicman

Quote from: tyb525 on April 13, 2011, 09:31:21 PM
other than heart check and those aren't caused by drying out.

Most mature Cherries that I have sawn have heart check.  Your log setup and sawing technique will maximize your lumber yield.

Two logs showing heart check.

Heart check extending the entire length of the log.  It is contained within two boards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

when stickering wood always have your sticker within 2'' from the ends, cracks usally only go in to the first sticker.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

pitsaw

yeah the larger log has heart check on the but end.

tyb525

If you saw it to keep the check in one or two boards you shouldn't have much trouble.

Magicman

Look closely.  It probably extends through the entire log.  It may show up very slightly.  Notice in the second picture that it is of the top of the butt cut.  If you plan to rotate 90° after each face is opened, have the check vertical with your first face opening.  (I'll search for a thread about this.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pitsaw

man this is the best forum hands down . Thanks you guys
   jason

Magicman

Here is a link on log setup.  Also scroll down to reply #11, or better yet, read it all.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,43129.0.html

WDH

Like Steve said, no reason to cut 18' lumber.  Nobody who builds furniture needs 18' boards.  By cutting in half, you will get better yield from the log as well.  I have had issues with cherry when cutting 8/4.  If you are anywhere near the pith (heart), the 8/4 board will split in the pith at least on one side and sometimes on both.  This basically ruins the board.  Cut any 8/4 from the outside part of the log and cut 4/4 near the pith since it is easier to salvage the usable lumber in a split board as 4/4 (3/4 planed) for things like face frames, etc. whereas with the splits in the 8/4, you are sunk.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!