iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White oak logs

Started by Kenzen, July 02, 2014, 11:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenzen

Okay this guy I know cut several 12' long white oak logs last November and treated the ends with Anchor Seal.  He had been waiting to have them sawn to 6/4 and now he believe the logs are not good for milling due to checks in the ends of the logs.  I express that he could still have good lumber from the logs.  He says "no".  So what is the answer?

Den Socling

You don't mention the diameter but I would guess they are OK. WO is slow air drying even at the end of a log. Especially if it's sealed.

Ianab

Might only get 10ft boards out of them now, but I bet those would be OK. If you saw them, just leave the split ends, and trim them off later, That will stop new cracks opening up.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LorenB

Quote from: Kenzen on July 02, 2014, 11:17:01 PM
...now he believe the logs are not good for milling due to checks in the ends of the logs.

Kenzen,

Offer to buy them at a price that's just above firewood prices and see if he REALLY thinks they don't have any good lumber in them.  If he takes your offer you just got a really good deal. 

I agree that you may not get full-length lumber out of those logs, but I'll bet there's still plenty of worthwhile stuff there. 

Good luck,
-- Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

scsmith42

Quote from: Ianab on July 03, 2014, 12:26:30 AM
Might only get 10ft boards out of them now, but I bet those would be OK. If you saw them, just leave the split ends, and trim them off later, That will stop new cracks opening up.

Ian

+1, I mill logs like this all the time.  You'll probably lose 6" from each end.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

stavebuyer

My neighbor sold some timber and due to extreme wet weather the logger left a partial load piled at the landing and never came back. The logs were 3 years old when I sawed them. Sap wood was totally rotten but the heartwood was in perfect condition and graded FAS. The logs were winter cut and piled in full shade. Very little end checking and splitting. I would not hesitate to saw them if they have any size.

Magicman

They need sawing.  I regularly saw Red and White Oak logs that have been down for years and the heartwood is always good.

All of the sapwood has rotted off of this Red Oak.  Just trim the ends and saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Magicman,

The area I am logging in right now has a number of large red oaks that fell and look a lot like what you have on your mill, nothing I can sell commercially.  I have been setting them to one side as to my untrained eye there is good wood in them.  Do you have to do anything special with the lumber you saw off those?  Any suggestions or advice, ie - better for boards or beams?  Thanks
Jim
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

It will be surprisingly moist and needs to be dried just like "normal" lumber.   

Here are some White Oak logs that we sawed for dablack on the Goodwill Sawing trip.  The closest one obviously had metal, but the others yielded some nice flooring lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Thank you, that is good to know.  My wife had asked me about the pile I have and I told her I could not bring myself to just throw them in with the pulp so they were in the "not sure what to do with it" pile.  We are in the process of remodeling a house - for now its gutted, and at some point I would like to get a mill and put a lot of my own lumber in there so maybe they now have a purpose. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!