iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

X2 on the more detail.  Looks like an interesting design.  What's powering you ram?  

Nice mods.  :)
HM126

Remle

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 19, 2020, 03:48:13 PM
caveman.I've used bar oil/diesel blade lube for 10 years and have no belt deterioration.
X2

Outlaw

First pic is the clamp.  TK runs a 1" all thread clamp design, and we incorporated the 1" hole through the frame for the clamp.  2x2x1/4 tube with a 1" nut welded inside of it on both sides. Ran a 1" bolt from each side through the frame to hold it.  Bottom of the tube we welded a chain end to end.  Installed a hydraulic motor and sprocket with teflon around the tube to slid the clamp side to side. Under the sawmill frame in picture 2 you can see the cylinder that raises and lowers the clamp.   I can take more pictures tomorrow if needed. 
TK 1600, old logging equipment,  sthil chainsaws

Bandmill Bandit

This is NOT a mod. Its a jig to cut the dove notch on logs while milling for cabin build. This 1 will do 4 to 6 inch width logs. A very primitive proto type sitting on the bench in the shop that validated proof of concept.

I think a patent may be in order.

I would guess the build ready logs will come off the mill with an extra 5 minutes of mill time when in use.

Not sure on timing for completion as I have to fit the bulid in around the jobs scheduled but i am pretty certain that a full day in the shop and about $500 bucks of material will have it built. could be manual operated or electic. The one I put on mine will be electric controls.

I will start a new thread for the introduction of the Jig. I will try to build it so that it can be adapted to any bandmill. BUT not all band mills are created equal!

NOTE to Woodmizer; Marty, If you think the company will be interested let me know.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bibbyman

Keep up the great work!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LeeB

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 28, 2020, 07:35:05 AM
Keep up the great work!

Very nice to see you post again sir.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

snowsquall

I've seen several examples of LT28 owners replacing the manual winch with an electric one with great success, but I didn't want to give up the manual winch.  I came up with a way to have both.  The winch mounts to the tongue and the cable goes under the original winch and runs parallel to its cable.  I added another sheave to the original mount so the cables don't interfere with each other.  I use the electric winch to load the logs and the manual for the turner.  The manual also works as a backup loader.  I use a power pack for the winch - just hook up the cables and use the power pack switch to control it.  Maybe someday I'll mount a battery, but I've used this for awhile and it's ok.  It mounts/unmounts in less than 5 minutes.  The winch is a 2000lb Superwinch that I got for $34 on clearance.  The setup works well.

1980 John Deer 1050, Fransgard Winch, Homemade Skidding Winch/Arch, WM LT28G25, Stihl 029Super, Stihl MS290, MS170.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DR Buck

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 28, 2020, 07:35:05 AM
Keep up the great work!
WoW !!!

A real Bibbyman post.      I do miss them.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

barbender

My WM jug finally disintegrated, shipping is getting so high it was going to be over $40 to get the jug to my door. So I bought one at the local fleet farm, had to do a little retrofitting to get the spout to work.

My ol' Mk l debarker never did have enough snot to power the regular debarker blade. I modified a regular 7 1/4" circular saw bladen as the arbor on the debarker is too big. It's not a precision instrument, so a Sharpie marker and for grinder took care of business. Then I bent some teeth out for a wider kerf. Works great, if you want a wider kerf yet you just bring the blade down on top of a log without paying attention, and bend it😁 
Along with the circle blade modification, I mentioned elsewhere how I almost gutted myself by forgetting it on, and my debarker alarm was disable or quit long before I got the mill. It made me a bit weak in the knees when I realized that blade was spinning while I changed a band blade!! So while at the fleet store, I picked up a $30 magnetic beacon and wired it into the alarm circuit, so it is flashing any time the debarker is powered.

Too many irons in the fire

Cruiser_79

Quote from: barbender on August 17, 2020, 09:10:12 PM
My ol' Mk l debarker never did have enough snot to power the regular debarker blade. I modified a regular 7 1/4" circular saw bladen as the arbor on the debarker is too big. It's not a precision instrument, so a Sharpie marker and for grinder took care of business. Then I bent some teeth out for a wider kerf. Works great, if you want a wider kerf yet you just bring the blade down on top of a log without paying attention, and bend it😁
Along with the circle blade modification, I mentioned elsewhere how I almost gutted myself by forgetting it on, and my debarker alarm was disable or quit long before I got the mill. It made me a bit weak in the knees when I realized that blade was spinning while I changed a band blade!! So while at the fleet store, I picked up a $30 magnetic beacon and wired it into the alarm circuit, so it is flashing any time the debarker is powered.

that beacon is really a good idea, last week I was checking the sawblade height just near the debarker. Those things are running way too silent!

LeeB

Lock out, tag out. Gents, turn off the engine and pull the key when changing blades.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DDW_OR

how about installing a relay on the band blade engagement switch.
also have a solenoid for the lube.

blade on = debarker and lube on
blade off = debarker and lube off
"let the machines do the work"

Ed_K

Barbender you will be safer if you use a solid blade. Those with the slit going towards the center break real easy. I only used one, once on my brush cutter and it blew up, now i use solid ones and haven't had a problem.
Ed K

barbender

Ed, I think the brush cutters tend to make blades explode because they spin them way too fast. That isn't happening on the MK l 😊  
 Lee, you are 100% right I should've been following lock out/tag out. Aside from that, I still need a warning for my debarker. I think a strobe light is what WM is using now.
  DDW, it already has one, for both functions...they only run when the saw head forward travel is engaged. Unfortunately I ran the head to the tail of the mill (where it's easier to do blade changes) and neglected to put the travel back in neutral or turn the power off.
Too many irons in the fire

DDW_OR

Quote from: barbender on August 18, 2020, 10:45:00 AM
Ed, I think the brush cutters tend to make blades explode because they spin them way too fast. That isn't happening on the MK l 😊  
Lee, you are 100% right I should've been following lock out/tag out. Aside from that, I still need a warning for my debarker. I think a strobe light is what WM is using now.
 DDW, it already has one, for both functions...they only run when the saw head forward travel is engaged. Unfortunately I ran the head to the tail of the mill (where it's easier to do blade changes) and neglected to put the travel back in neutral or turn the power off.
I was unfamiliar with the WM
still would be a good safety lock
the best one is "turn the power off"

I have a TimberKing 2000. it does not have this function.
I run the head to the middle of the mill to do maintenance
have two wooden platforms i stand on, one on either side of the head carriage
I do blade changes on either end of the mill.
"let the machines do the work"

teakwood

Can anybody post some pics of their log height adjustment device on the sawmill?  where you get the small end of the log up so the log is centered. i need to fabricate a manual device and need some ideas

Thanks 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

hey Teak, I am hydraulic.  I think a few have used a scissor screw type jack.  it can be sped up using a rechargeable battery drill.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

I use a small hydraulic jack and I learned to set the log down on shims so when the jack fades, it doesn't mess up the cut! ::)  The hydraulic jack was an improvement over this:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

teakwood

Quote from: doc henderson on September 19, 2020, 11:36:41 AM
hey Teak, I am hydraulic.  I think a few have used a scissor screw type jack.  it can be sped up using a rechargeable battery drill.  
let me see the hydraulic setup, i want to copy that but instead of a cylinder i'm thinking a hand lever like a handbrake in a car
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

mine is full hydraulic mill.  how about a car style hydraulic jack, race jack.  My comment was meant to say that I do not have first hand experience with a manual mill.  you could get a gas powered hydraulic unit.  or even a porta power style cylinder actuator.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brucer

Quote from: teakwood on September 19, 2020, 11:26:31 AM
Can anybody post some pics of their log height adjustment device on the sawmill?

This is the one on my first WM mill.

Please note -- that piece of square orange tubing with the shiny metal pin has nothing to do with the toeboard. Ignore it.

Look at the side of the bed rail beneath the square orange tubing thingy ... you'll see a metal plate about an inch away from the bed rail. It's got a pivot locate about half way across the rail. Down near the bottom of the image, just left of centre, you'll see the end of a threaded rod. It's mounted through a pivoting bushing. The other end of the threaded rod goes through a nut on the bottom of the metal plate. There's a shield over the lower half of the threaded rod to keep sawdust from gumming it up.  Turn the rod (with a removable hand crank) and it pulls the near side of the metal plate upward. Very simple to use. You could turn the threaded rod with a cordless drill.

Here's a better picture of the toeboard.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Crusarius

I have a 1000 pound motorcycle scissor jack from ebay. I had it hanging from straps for testing purposes but one of these days I will weld in a couple cross members so I can move it to either end of the mill. 

Just set the scissor jack on the sawmill cross members then turn the screw. worked pretty good for what I was doing.

RAYAR

This is the manual toe board my mill has on it, one towards each end. Works great, never had a problem with them.

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Thank You Sponsors!