iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

processer

Started by sodbuster, November 17, 2019, 02:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodbuster

we are building a small processer and have a 12hp diesel motor how big a pump can this motor handle

dave_dj1

I'm no expert but does a diesel turn enough rpm's to run a pump at capacity?
I know gas motors turn at about 3600 wot and mine runs my 22gpm pump just fine (11hp gas)
What type of pump are you wanting to run? I would think that would matter also.

Gearbox

A 22 gallon pump at 3600 RPM . 12 HP should run a 22 . We need a lot more info about your diesel and do you want to run it at 3600 all the time .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Hilltop366

A 22 gpm pump would have to be a 2 stage pump, if a single stage pump it would be considerably less, around 5 or 6 gpm.

sodbuster

I really don't know a lot about this motor its a yanmar 2 cylinder liguid cooled and probably only runs about 22oo rpm

ButchC

As others have touched upon there is more to it than X motor will run X pump. The basics of the deal is this.  When you see things like "this pump requires X engine" certain important parameters have been ASSUMED.
The HP required to turn a pump is a combination of flow which gives you speed x pressure which gives you force. There are many online calculators to help you through that. Also important is the fact that pressure is NOT determined by the pump, that is a factor of the loading you place on it. The pump does need to be capable or producing the pressure you ask of it and have acceptable service life.   I repeat because it is important and often misunderstood, pumps do NOT build pressure the LOAD does,  period. Keep these things firmly planted in your mind and it will help you sort through the process of choosing the correct pieces for your processor. 
The pumps you should be considering don't give a whip of run at 3600 rpm or 2200 but obviously it will flow less (and take less power)  when operated  at 2200. 
In summary one can run a processor at 3000 PSI or 1500 PSI with the same engine and have virtually the same operating speed and same operating forces IF you match the componants around that criteria. The main advantange to higher pressure is less HP loss from pumping large volumes of oil. If you buying everything new then you shoild be considering high pressure lower flow but if your using cheaply available compontants then you must design your pumps, plumbing and valves around that. The people at Surplus Center are most helpful for those who just cannot wrap thier minds around basic hydraulics.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

jmur1

Hp is a generally a convenient (and industry standard) way to size and rate a hydraulic pump for consumers.  These days with the 2 stage pumps for logsplitters and processors a double check is required to confirm your requirement are met.  These pumps are typically rated at 3000 psi.  This is important when you size/source your cylinder.

If you look at the two pumps I have shown below I have also included the flows as well

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/8-hp-2-stage-hydraulic-pump/A-p1221555e

Low Pressure 16.0 GPM/High Pressure 4.0 GPM  GPM

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/16-hp-2-stage-hydraulic-pump/A-p1222173e

Low Pressure 22.0 GPM/High Pressure 6.1 GPM  GPM

http://www.metaris.com/hp-calculator.php

Then if you go to the calculator you can see the following:

at 4 GPM you get 7hp

And at 6.1 GPM you get 10.6 hp

Then you will need to confirm your required/actual rpm.  The pumps are rated for 500 rpm to 4000 rpm and if you are going to use a direct (1:1
) drive ratio you might operate them around 2000 rpm with a diesel.  This could correspond to near half of the required power based on flow.

For comparison sake I can tell you that I ran a 15hp gas engine on the 28 GPM 2 stage (see below):

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Pumps/2-Stage-Log-Splitter-Pumps/28-GPM-Dynamic-2-Stage-Pump-9-7971.axd

I had no issue at all with it for power.  It is rated for minimum 16 hp gas and mine ran it fine at 3/4 throttle.
I suspect that you could make it work (but see comments below) for the slightly lower model 22 GPM

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Pumps/2-Stage-Log-Splitter-Pumps/22-GPM-Dynamic-2-Stage-Pump-9-7970.axd

If you read the comments in this page your exact question for 12hp diesel has already been answered by the vendor.

jmur1

Easy does it

hedgerow

Quote from: sodbuster on November 19, 2019, 06:18:41 AM
I really don't know a lot about this motor its a yanmar 2 cylinder liguid cooled and probably only runs about 22oo rpm
If you decide to go with a 22GPM two stage pump you can always run a jack shaft on pillar block bearings and run sprockets and chain from the shaft to the motor to increase the speed to get the motor speed up to the 3600 RPM you need for the pump. I set a buddy of mines splitter up that way years ago. We had a old Wisconsin motor that only ran around 2000 RPM so I set up a jack shaft to speed it up to run the two stage pump. That's been 30 years ago and it's still running. 

ButchC

The 2 stage splitter specific pumps can indeed be sized for that purpose as Jmur posted because they can make several assumptions that are pretty much spot on.  When I read "processor" I am thinking the machine will have some combination of  hydraulic saw drive,  saw movement, log dog, log feed, log lift or deck drive beside of running a splitter. If that be the case I'd spend a small amount of time calculating rather than be disappointed when the deal is fired up. I will say that in any guise a full function processor with a 22HP prime mover is going to be underpowered.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Nathan4104

Rather than use a hydraulic drive for the bar, belt drive is an option too! Use the hydraulics for the infeed if you're having one, and the splitter.  A manual log clamp or none at all will be faster than a hydraulic one.  Pull the chain bar down manually rather than hydraulic. Keep it simple!
My mostly manual processor can do a cord (128 cu-ft) an hour on 13hp sipping fuel.  If I were doing 3-400 cord a year maybe it would be worth it to have it a bit faster but at ~150 cord a year it's the best cost for production for me.
The splitter is where the bottle neck in speed seems to be. Spend the $ on a bigger rod in the cylinder and return flow back to the tank in large hoses to speed it up. Some fancy valving may be required?

sodbuster

all were really going to be running is the splitter and blade up and down with hydraulics looking at the skidsteer processer one with the log going ahead as  it splits maybe a belt drive saw have a 28 in by 4in cylinder with a 2 
 in shaft been using it on a splitter power by my Thomas loader that has a 15 gallon per minite pump so thinking a 2 stage 16 should work with my little deisel

moodnacreek

In my opinion 2 stage log splitter pumps are for small high speed air cooled motors. It will be no more work to rig a 40 h.p. car,small truck, old tractor motor to a single stage, 25 gpm pump and build something that will split wood fast.

Thank You Sponsors!