iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How far into the wood supply?

Started by Arctiva, December 25, 2019, 05:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctiva

So almost 3 months in and I'm almost  2 1/2 pallets wide by 5 long by 6-7 feet high. Plus I've brought up a few skidloader buckets of wood and burned alot of junk popular and willow.

GRANITEstateMP

I'm into my fourth seasoned pallet.  The stacked pallets are a strong 1/2 cord each (22 to 24in long wood). So, just shy of 2 cord so far this year. :(. Good news, those emptied racks are already restacked and drying for the winter of 2021  ;D

The empty bins on the right side of the pic are for "MY" firewood.  The runs in between are for 16in wood to season for customers
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

All I know is at 20°at night and high noon at almost above freezing,I'm not burning much wood. All that will change.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rebarb

I've burned 2 cords so far so got 6 more to go......I always burn 8 cords regardless. 

dirtmotor

only been cold enough for a fire a few days , so we haven't really put a dent in this years wood , almost 70 yesterday , did get to start splitting next years for Christmas  :D

hedgerow

I got my Garn back up and running the first of Aug after a repair to heat domestic water. The weather here this fall has been big temp swings. From Aug to now I just empty a trailer that had three cord on it just the other day and staged another one in front of the Garn barn. I am probably running two cord behind the normal for this time of the year. It's been nice to see some 40's and 50's in the day and 20's to 30's at night and not zero with a -20 wind chill. Hope the nice weather keep's up spring is just around the corner. LOL. I normally burn 10 to 15 cord a year running year around. 

Woodpecker52

About 1/4 of a pallet used so far this year.  In short sleeves for Christmas and this week.  This should be a mild winter, so far my woodpile reflects this.  Heat my house with an fisher wood stove since about 1990. 
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Pine Ridge

Burned about a cord and a half so far, second year with the fire chief, learning the do's and don'ts with it has cut my wood consumption down quite a bit.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Arctiva

I must be about 7 cords of the main stack in. Good thing I split a few extra cords cause I dont see that stack making the season. The last 5 days I've been getting a 18 hour burn otta rotten popple and willow so that's saved some "good wood" I guess

lxskllr

Hard to make an accurate accounting due to my method, but I've burned about 1 cord so far, and I have ~5 more on my property, and a virtually unlimited supply at work. It's been pretty warm this year, and I'm not traditionally a full time wood burner, but I have wood to get rid of, so that's what I'm doing. Trying to keep the furnace from coming on. It's set at 48° as a fallback, and that's the temp I've seen coming home from work a couple times, but I haven't actually heard it run yet, so who knows? I have a fire going now. In years past, I'd have considered it too warm for a fire(51° in the house), but I felt a little chilly, so why not?

jerry sundberg

With the shop being heated we've used 5 cord in the Garn 1500. A little more than I expected due to I installed new Thermopex piping. I'm beginning to think it's not all that great !
Farmall  man

A-z farmer

Burned 3 cord in two months but as they say as the days lengthen the cold strengthens.So probably 6 more cord for the season to come .

petefrom bearswamp

About 1-1/2 std cord so far since mid October.
This is just an educated guess as it would probably scare me to keep a good record.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bruno of NH

Im about one cord in so far.
Hardwood slabs from the mill mixed with the odd cuts from the firewood sales.
It keeps the house warm. 
I miss the black locust I had last year.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

chevytaHOE5674

I dont really have a "wood supply" that I can track. I have some stuff close to the stove but most of my firewood is stored standing dead on the stump. Go out when I get time and skid up what I can. Not the best way to go about it, but its what fits my schedule. 

alan gage

Still under a cord burnt. Will probably burn between 3-4.

This year I have a 2nd (very small) stove in the living room so during milder weather (20-35) I can heat with just the little one, which keeps me from having to warm the basement and main level with the big basement stove. So far this has been a big help with wood consumption.

We had some very cold weather early on and I was a little worried about the wood supply but now there's been a couple weeks of mild weather, and still relatively mild in the forecast, so I'm feeling pretty good.

Got a late start on next year's wood. It's mostly split but not stacked. Should be more than enough for next year, which is good since I haven't been more than a year ahead in a while now.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Corley5

I don't keep track anymore.  We start out the season burning the cookies and junk wood that's collected from the firewood operation.  That usually lasts until the real heating season begins whenever that maybe.  I like to bring five face cord loads over but sometimes the time to do a full load isn't there or I just don't want to.  We usually finish up the season with cookies and junk wood just like we started it.  The last time I sorta kept track we were well over 40 face cords.  That's heating 2688 square feet of living space.  The 24X24 basement is kept warm by the heating equipment but there is a hanging unit heater that is rarely used.  I don't think we've ever been over 50 face cord using good hardwood.  There've been winters when I got good deals on junk like basswood, aspen or pine or I had markets for the hardwood and not the softwood so we burned it and then we went well over 50 and maybe over 60.  The family likes the house warm too.  If it gets under 75 they're cold.  I think about filling the wood shed.  It'll hold close to 30 cords but it seems like wasted time to stack wood ;D :)  Our face cords are a 1/3 of a standard cord.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

chevy,my wood supply is just about the same, dead, standing. I did have a lot of dead white pine. Now I just have some. ;D I was thinning out the ugly pine this summer. If it don't makes logs, it will make heat. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

I save the stacking wood step :D. I skid logs right up next to the stove when possible, buck them up and toss them right in the stove.

Thank You Sponsors!