iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood storing?

Started by Arctiva, February 16, 2020, 09:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctiva

I'm working on next years wood it's all ASH mostly big logs 6-7' long some smaller I'm cutting up the splitting and stacking with a skidloader. I'm gonna get a bunch more for years down the road since my city is cutting down 100 ash trees this winter. Should I leave it in log form or cut up into rounds ready to split down the road? Room to store isnt a issue. 

hedgerow

Years ago when I sold a lot of ash firewood we had the best luck with it keeping in good condition if we logged it cut it split it and stored it under cover as soon as we could. These were fence rows and pastures we were cleaning most were live some were dead. 

thecfarm

I would pile the logs up and than cut them into stove wood lengths. If you can keep up with the loads, just saw the logs up as they come in. 
I did this with white pine cut offs. 

But out in the weather it does not really dry. And in round form, with good size wood, it does not dry good either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

the sooner it is cut and split, the sooner you can use it.  avoid rewetting and soil contact so it does not rot.  for firewood, if you cannot split all you get, then some sacrificial logs on the ground, and leave it in log form stacked off the ground.  a cover on the top, and not the sides is ideal.  Or cover for moisture, uncover when dry and hot.  it will dry some.  might take a log 3 years to dry, instead of one hot summer for splits.  also some wood after dry, is a bit scary to split.  creeks and cracks and then "boom!!!"  you may have enough to sell some and pay kids or grandkids to help.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Arctiva

I'm cutting and splitting about 20 cords for next winter right now. I'm hoping to get another 40+ cords then ill be set for next 3 years. And split the following winter for the next and so on. I'm not to worried about ground contact, it is what it is and it'll burn, I know it wont dry good in lif form so wondering if it would be better to cut into rounds of 24" or so and pile and store?

doc henderson

yes full split is better than 24" logs, is better than full logs.  even the quarters in the pic would be great.  you will save a ton on heat.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Kindlinmaker

I luck into a few extra loads of hardwood firewood logs from time to time.  Generally split it when we get time; might be soon after delivery or two years later.  Either way, the trick is good quality tarps with no leaks. Logs hold pretty good when covered; firewood lasts as well when covered properly. Both go bad quickly if left to weather. They both trap moisture when stacked. Bark on either one will accelerate the decay process by holding moisture. Different species age much differently. Ash holds pretty well comparitively. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

doc henderson

is your splitter on a tractor or skid steer?  lots of BTUs there.

Arctiva

Skidloader splitter. Cut way down on physical handling of the wood. Use the skidloader to load the logs onto the dump trailer, move logs to cut, and then use to split. Next fall I'm gonna have a rock/grapple bucket and move the wood to a pile behind the burner which is 800' or so away from where the wood is being stacked. I even stack the wood with the splitter. 

Arctiva

I had a 16x20x6' high pile stacked I'm over half through plus burned 20 skidloader buckets of wood a cord of willow and a cord of popular. And have a few months to go yet. So I burn alot of wood but been a mix of crap wood with silver/sugar maple/ash/elm. 

Wood Shed

Obviously firewood storing means different things to each of us and I have been at both ends of the spectrum.  Where ever you are on this spectrum my advise is to have sized pieces that are easiest to handle and placed in a way to limit exposure to the elements whether your used a tarp or have something with a roof over it.

Stock pile

Cover storage

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Banjo picker

Guess it's where you are as to using a tarp.  I tried it once and my wood pile grew lots of mold and some mushrooms.  Banjo 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

doc henderson

ideal to cover the top, but let the air move through the sides i think!

Thank You Sponsors!