iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodsplitter Question, Button or Lever 1st?

Started by ~smokey~, February 24, 2020, 03:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~smokey~

I'm setting up my 5 ton electric log splitter with a one handed operation mod, I'm wondering if the electrical button should activate first or the hydraulics first? I'm thinking the pump should get up to speed before the hydraulics but the manual says it's the other way around.

jmur1

Hi -smokey-
Can you throw up the make and model # of this machine,  Im curious.

jmur1
Easy does it

~smokey~

Quote from: jmur1 on February 24, 2020, 08:58:54 AM
Hi -smokey-
Can you throw up the make and model # of this machine,  Im curious.

jmur1
This one is called a Powerfist sold at Princess Auto. 1500 watts I believe it's model # 8142606

jmur1

What a curious machine!  I saw on the manual where you were indicating:

6. Two hands are required to operate the log splitter. Maintain your hands on the controls until the log is completely split. The mechanism will stop if one of the controls is released.
a. Pull the hydraulic control lever (O) with your left hand.
b. Press the switch (I) on the pushbutton box (L) with your right hand.

With a two hand control like this it does not matter which one is started when not under load.  And since there is a spring return on the cylinder the motor  should not start while under any kind of pressure.  There are a couple of utube videos on this unit out there as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKURTMEZO5k

Take care when you are messing with the controls - but from what Ive seen so far you should be fine to run the electric motor full time.  
Watch for heat - the duty cycle may have been assumed to be 50% since they expected the motor to shut off every split cycle.

jmur1
Easy does it

~smokey~

Good to know jmur1 and thanks for posting up that link for the video !

jmur1

Hi ~smokey~

I forgot to mention something else I saw on one of the comments.  The spring return on one guys (similar) machine wouldn't activate unless the motor was off - Im not sure if yours is the same but you would want to confirm that before you make the change.

jmur1
Easy does it

~smokey~

Quote from: jmur1 on February 26, 2020, 02:12:18 PM
Hi ~smokey~

I forgot to mention something else I saw on one of the comments.  The spring return on one guys (similar) machine wouldn't activate unless the motor was off - Im not sure if yours is the same but you would want to confirm that before you make the change.

jmur1
Thanks jmur1, mine is the same but I have no intention of running the motor full time, I read somewhere that the "stop/start" was killing motors so some guys are choosing to run the motor the whole time but I'm guessing the designers of machines like mine knew what they were doing. I used the splitter with the mods for a few hours today it works great, splitting rounds seems to be addictive I couldn't stop  8)

~smokey~

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jmur1

Easy does it

~smokey~

~smokey~

Just as a precaution if you own a Powerfist 5 ton wood splitter, after removing the return spring covers I discovered the allan bolts on the spring retainers were all loose. these will most definitely loosen further while operating the splitter to the point of failing and give you a pretty nasty surprise if not an injury, keep these things tight !

Thank You Sponsors!