iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used Woodsplitters?

Started by Zackary, August 01, 2023, 05:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zackary

Hello: I'm in the market for a used wood splitter. I split 15-20 face cords per year-for home/farm use. Any recommendations on brand would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

thecfarm

I just have one of those you buy from tractor supply. 
I did buy from a tractor dealer, it was the same thing at Home Depot and all those places.
May not be fast, but fast cost A LOT more. 
It goes faster enough to make anyone running it tired at the end of the day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

OK Zack.  how old are you (how many years does this splitter need to last, and how many years can we divide the cost over?).  The increase in the new stuff, has driven up the used price around here.  used to get a farm store type splitter for about 700 bucks.  now they are 1700, and the used ones are over a thousand.  Any idea what kind of accessories, like a log lift, or multisplit wedge?  Are you mechanical?  can you fix stuff?  Do you want a project, or a like new splitter you do not have to work on.  Have you tried any you like.  do you have a favorite brand of engine.  Does it need to be towed on the farm, or poss. on the road?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Gere Flewelling

Not up for sale very often, but if you come across a used Super Split for sale go for it. I used homemade hydraulic splitters for many years. Once I tried a Super Split Special Edition I was hooked. Sold off the hydraulic splitters and only use that one.  No hydraulics to mess with and will split anything I put on it.  Only an engine to keep running. Good luck with your decision!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

ajschnitzelbank

Huskee brand hydraulic splitters seem to have a good reputation from my reading on online forums. I believe they were sold by Tractor Supply and manufactured by Speeco. I often see them for sale for kinda high prices, but occasionally for a bargain. There seems to be a lot of them out there. Personally I wound up buying a new Speeco a few years back and I'm happy with it. 

Al_Smith

Seems a lot of people look for speed .Might be a big deal if you sell firewood and are 25 years old .Get a little older the machine will out run you .
On a used splitter I'd be wary of the Chinese machines .Worst welders in the world ,they come apart .Some like "Dirty hand " brand use cheap hydraulics which of course works but is not as robust as USA stuff .Last spring I worked on one belonging to a buddy .Bad control valve and split welds and it wasn't that old . Those older machines sold at TSC are a good choice but don't get fooled by tonnage ratings because they all lie about it except Timber Wolf .For example a 5 inch cylinder TW gives the rating of 22 tons but TSC might say 31- 35 tons .Remember that's a 3000 PSI system factory set at 2750 ,do the math .

g_man

I bought a well used looking Husky/Speeco 22 ton splitter with a B&S motor 10 years ago. Split 5 or 6 cord a year and it is still runs fine. Starts in one pull, two at the most, after setting all winter using non-ethanol gas. It was my first splitter after years of maul and wedges. I was curios what it took to split wood so I put a pressure gauge on it. To my surprise at least 80% of it split before the gauge got to 1200 psi out of a 3000 psi top end. Not real big wood but like this

The vertical mode comes in handy too for blocks you don't want to handle up in the air.

gg

Thank You Sponsors!