iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CHEAP firewood prices

Started by Ironwood, July 30, 2010, 11:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Just wanted to share some info. I recently bought a few cords of wood from three different sellers. All three where $100-110 a CORD :o I have NO interest in splitting and cutting from my property when poeple are willing to bring it to market that cheaply. A few years back I considered a processing operation here on our property, boy am I glad I didnt think too hard about that one. The stuff I purchased is all hardwood, cherry, maple, hickory, oak.

What is it selling for in your neck of the woods?

Ironwood  
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

isawlogs

I would have no interest in it also at that price .  :D  ( in making it )  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JohnG28

Do you mean face cord or full cord?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Buck

Thats gotta be a face cord. 
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

JohnG28

Thought so, but wasnt sure. Around here we see firewood priced around $60 +/- a face cord, seasoned hardwood, although sometimes not as seasoned as one would like.  Price difference was why I asked.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Captain

We can't even buy tree length firewood for that price here.

Captain

Jamie_C

Around here the price for a cord of firewood cut, split & delivered runs from $195 - $225 per cord.

8' firewood runs about $100/cd delivered if you are lucky, if not then $115 is likely what you will be paying.

fuzzybear

I'm selling for $125 a full cord off my landing.  But since our territory government is trying to change all the rules, only myself and one other person is cutting. I had 100 cord on the landing and they are all gone now.  I don't know what people are going to do this winter. I know the two of us cannot cut over 3000 cords just to supply our area.
   To top it off we have one of the highest prices for fuel in the country. heating oil is around 1.29 a liter.  At -50 that's about 1200L a month. There are going to be alot of people bankrupt this winter.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Warbird

Our heating oil is no where near that price yet but we are facing the same grim reality here, fuzzy.  A lot of folks are either going to be bankrupted or cold this winter.  :( 

doctorb

My experience is that many sellers don't sell a full cord.  I am not calling them cheaters, I just think that many of them who cater to the residential market can only get so much in a pickup truck with siding.

Many sell it by the truckload.  "My truck holds three cords" you will often hear.  Well, maybe stacked in the truck it would be three cords, but dumped into it with a loader it's not.

A full cord here sells from a low of about $160US to $200 and up.  Often, those who order more than 3-4 cords can get a few bucks knocked off the price.  I think you get what you pay for, as the lower prices often have poplar and pine mixed in with hardwoods.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

$190 a cord here, sugar maple, beech, yellow birch. Cut, split, delivered. The guy asked if he should stack it to. He was joking of course. But, I said take it easy on me as I was stacking and storing each load he brought to get it under cover. A load was 1.5 cords each. I've never been shorted. He got ahead of me on delivering because of work, which was ok, but I had a pile of 6 cord I stored away on a Friday and Saturday, 3 cord more were coming the next week. I like big slabs out of rounds up to 16" diameter, not that fine kitchen stove stuff. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

Tree length is going for 100-120 cord and fitted wood 175-250 cord, low price green high price for dry!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ironwood

That IS a full cord, one guy's is green the other two fairly - to very dry. CHEAP CHEAP, for sure. Again this is from 3 differing operations, so I think I will just keep buying it until I am "FULL". I do pick it up. and they are not "short" cords, although the one tried that thing w/ me, but I know what a full cord looks like in my truck.  ;D

Only the one guy has some (very little) poplar in his cords, and some soft maple that is "marginal" quality.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Ironwood, are you stacking it on a pickup truck with side panels? Thrown in loose we could never get more than 1/2 a cord on a pickup. I have a 6'x10' trailer with maybe 8" side boards and I can't get all a loose cord on, I believe I had to throw close to 1/3 of the cord in the bed of the truck. It was all stacked and measured at the guy's place, 16" long. This was one fall, where I had cruised the guy's woodlot. I gave him a little business to. ;D

My uncle sometimes hit his back window tossing wood in his truck loose. I think he busted 2 windows out over the years. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Swamp, Naw this is in my "heavy 1/2 ton". I stacked the first load the one guy put in w/ a skidloader just to make sure I stacked it in my rack and it was right at a cord after I told him he was about 2 buckets shy of a cord. He had said he measured one time and 8 buckets was a cord. He may have found that to be the case, but I know what a cord looks like on my truck.

This load is a bit strong of a cord from the other guy.

Ron Wenrich

Are these commercial producers or beer money guys?  A lot of people cut for beer money and they advertise their price low.  Then all the commercial guys have to drop the price to get business until the small producer runs out of wood.

I'm not exactly sure what the price is that we charge for wood.  I'm thinking its around $175 and that's for a trailerload of green delivered to a wholesaler.  I'll check on the price.  The Philly markets are more like $250 delivered.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

We don't seem to have the beer money guys here, as they wouldn't even own a chainsaw nor a woodlot that hadn't been clear cut for the new station wagon that now sits out in the bushes gaining value as it rusts away. :D

Frickman

Ironwood is right on the price. I'm in the next county over from him and I can buy all the cut and split firewood I want for $100 to $120 / full cord from commercial firewood producers. Most are loggers and sawmills that have put in a firewood processor. There is a processor on every corner around me. Twenty years ago I sold cut and split for $90 / full cord and had trouble making money then. There is no way I'll try to compete with those guys now. I do dabble in cut and split a little, I have a few very local customers I supply at $150 / cord. Most of my firewood is sold as truck length logs delivered at around $80 - $100 / cord.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

doctorb

Timing is everything.  After my post yesterday, today I had 4.5 cords of standing dead oak delivered.  Largest is about 14 inches round.  Some larger diameter pieces had been split, but the majority is 18" to 24"" long and between 6" and 10" in diameter.  This stuff looks like it could burn well today.  Maybe the larger diameter logs should wait another year.  Trees had been dead for over 2-3 years.  Bark is off (naturally, not by machine!).  This is the finest fuel I have ever purchased.  $200/cord.  I feel like I hit the lottery.  While that's a relatively high price for wood, you pay for what you get.  If I could figure out how to post a picture, I would.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

customdave

Man thats cheap compared to here! poplar split delevered 300$ a cord, I've heard people paying anywheres between 500. to 600$ a cord for split birch fiewood in my neck of the woods....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Ron Scott

Only $45.00 - $50.00/face cord or $80.00 -$85.00/full cord with a 10 cord minimum here. And that's for good hardwood firewood.

~Ron

Ironwood

Unloaded the truckload pictured and stacked her tight, 131 cubic feet, so only 3 cubic feet over a cord. Tree guy splitting the good stuff for firewood, NICE stuff.

Ironwood

doctorb

customdave-

Why is firewood so expensive in Alberta?  See previous posts for US prices.

We also own a cabin in southern Ontario.  When we order a cord of wood up there we get a face cord delivered, and it costs between $100 - $125.    I have never understood why wood costs more north of the border.  For a full cord we might have to pay well over $300.  Any insight as to the disparity between the price?  Maybe it is because the Canadian $ has historically been worth between 0.70 - 0.80 cents per US$ for decades.  Now that the US$ and the C$ are about even, it further enhances the difference in the cost of firewood between our two countries.  Your thoughts.

doctorb

mainiac

I am selling my firewood for $215/full loose thrown cord(180 cubic feet)(face cord is not recognized by the state of Maine as a unit of measure) for 6+ month(seasoned?) logs. Cut, split, and delivered up to 10 mile radius. I have a few cord of white ash that has been cut for over a year for $300/full cord delivered.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

gunman63

would the high price of heating oil north of the border have anything to do with the price of firewood, higher the price of heating  oil the higher u can charge for firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!