iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

deer antler trap

Started by dutchman, December 08, 2009, 10:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutchman

I've got some pine left from an order I filled.
I want to build a feeder with a top that will knock loose
anters off whitetail buck.
4        2"x4"x3' legs
box     2' wide,3'deep, 1' high, holds the feed.
           also this box will sit on an angle so the feed flows to the back.
mount the box on the legs about 1' off the ground.
add 1"roof material so antlers will hit and fall off.

Anyone seen or built one of these?

Magicman

I read somewhere that you could build a "V" with fencing.  Then locate the feeder in the small end.  Bucks supposedly will hang or scrape the antlers off against the wire when they try to reach the feeder???  I haven't heard about trying to snag them from overhead.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Tractor tires work best for me ;D   But those are some interesting concepts. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Burlkraft

I use a circle of woven wire with feed in it.

When I was on the farm one spring I had a trap with 4 full sets in it and 3   1/2 sets   ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ADAMINMO

Quote from: dutchman on December 08, 2009, 10:37:15 PM
I've got some pine left from an order I filled.
I want to build a feeder with a top that will knock loose
anters off whitetail buck.
4        2"x4"x3' legs
box     2' wide,3'deep, 1' high, holds the feed.
           also this box will sit on an angle so the feed flows to the back.
mount the box on the legs about 1' off the ground.
add 1"roof material so antlers will hit and fall off.

Anyone seen or built one of these?

Id like to see a picture of that when ya get it finished. Sounds like it will work pretty good.

gary

I hope you know that antler traps are not legal in Pennsylvania.

metalspinner

What does one do with all this antler?  I've seen quiet a few projects for the lathe made with antler. 

Is it sold by the pound? Piece?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fishpharmer

Metalspinner, I know a guy that uses deer antlers as handles for the knives he makes.  I have also seen antlers used for anything from lamps to door handles.  Others just use the antlers for "rattling" during deer hunting season. It may be illegal to sell whitetail deer antlers in most states.  It might be worth checking with you state DNR before buying or selling. 

Years ago my family went on a vacation up thru PA, we passed some Amish farms with deer pens full of trophy sized bucks.  I insisted we stop at an Amish deer farm (who'da thunk it?).   I inquired about buying some trophy shed antlers.  They were rather proud of them.  Most were well over a hundred dollars.   I decided it cost me enough to find shed antlers sticking into my tractor tires, so had to decline. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ErikC

They are sold by the pound, and natural sheds bring more than cut off ones. As do matching pairs, bigger sizes, not weathered or rodent damaged, etc. True trophy quality pairs can bring quite a bit. I think taxidermists often mount those.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Weekend_Sawyer

I have heard of these before but I'm curious, what happens if the antlers aren't ready to com off yet?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

LeeB

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on December 27, 2009, 01:36:14 PM

I have heard of these before but I'm curious, what happens if the antlers aren't ready to com off yet?

I should think that's why the traps are illeagle in some places.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on December 27, 2009, 01:36:14 PM

Ya's find out if the trap is stronger than the deer, or the other way around.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tughill

I'm not sure, but I thought it was illegal to feed deer in PA.  It is most definitely illegal to feed them in NY.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

dutchman

Feeding deer is legal in PA., however baiting is illegal.
If you feed deer before hunting you must remove all food, bait,
30 days before you hunt the area.
When I asked about collecting racks, I was told trapping deer is illegal,
I don't want to entangle the rack,
I hope they fall off at the feeder.
I'ved had 11 different deer in to the feeder in one 10 hour perriod,
2 buck and 9 doe.
The feeder has no top.
The feeder has an opening of 16" in the front, the buck tilt their heads
to get in the opening.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'd like to see some pictures of that.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ely

people here just bury a 5 gaiion pail  and leave a couple inches sticking up out of the ground. poke a few holes in the bottom of the pail and dump corn in it. the bucks will hit the antlers on the bucket when they try to eat it. if you leave a space under the bucket the rain will drain out of the bucket instead of souring the corn.

Jeff

I would think any feeder that would cause a deer to bump its antlers in order to get its head in to feed would work.  If its a trough, just attach a two by four running up the center to act as a bumper where they stick their head in the trough.  I'd be real worried about using any type of fencing or wire that could entangle a deer before the antlers were ready to shed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!