iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Colorado

Started by Autocar, April 17, 2013, 11:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on April 26, 2013, 02:52:38 PM
  Another reality to consider (and the basis of my argument) is that there is a limit to available water.  It's easy to use it while it exists, why not, right?  What happens when it's gone and you still have hungry people that need food.  At that moment we'll have just passed the problem on down the line to our kids and grandkids all while depleting another resource.  I, like you, hope that they're smarter than we are and can come up with a good solution, but in the meantime I think not doing any additional harm is a good start.       

The good news is that it continues to rain and snow, refilling the glaciers, lakes and rivers. It isn't like mining or pumping oil, the resource replentishes itself. Kind of like trees growing, but faster.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

fuzzybear

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on April 26, 2013, 07:30:58 PM
Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on April 26, 2013, 02:52:38 PM
  Another reality to consider (and the basis of my argument) is that there is a limit to available water.  It's easy to use it while it exists, why not, right?  What happens when it's gone and you still have hungry people that need food.  At that moment we'll have just passed the problem on down the line to our kids and grandkids all while depleting another resource.  I, like you, hope that they're smarter than we are and can come up with a good solution, but in the meantime I think not doing any additional harm is a good start.       

The good news is that it continues to rain and snow, refilling the glaciers, lakes and rivers. It isn't like mining or pumping oil, the resource replentishes itself. Kind of like trees growing, but faster.
But what happens when that water becomes too contaminated to drink or grow food?  Ever heard of acid rain? we can only pollute so much before it comes back to bite us in the butt.  Ever consider drinking rain water in different places? Here in the north I would but if I was in NYC I wouldn't even on a dare.  I drink from the steams and rivers in the north, but would never drink from the Mississippi River.  Getting water is not a problem....getting pure uncontaminated water is.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Al_Smith

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on April 26, 2013, 07:07:02 PM
Better not buy an "American" car or truck then. ;D

My Dodge Ram diesel was made in NE Mexico.
Well some of them are indeed made in Mexico .The greatest  insult to me was making Lincolns ,the flagship of Ford motor in Mexico  which I don't think worked out as well as they thought it would .

To get off on my tangent about this it seems the trend towards those who prefer a domestic made product was they did not embrace the idea of a domestic product made out of country .Canada being the exception because we and our neighbors to the north have been trading pardners forever with about even Steven amounts .I personally have no problem with that at all .Fact I think my Mercury might have been made in Wixsom Ont.

Now of course all my bull headedness has nothing to do with watering Arizona . ;D

red

there are lots of old mines that can work as water tanks maybe even electric turbines
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Al_Smith

Well consider if you will that one inch of rainfall equals this cut and paste >1 inch of rain falling on 1 acre
is equal to about 27,154 gallons of water./end  .Now multiply that by the size of Arizona alone leaving out the portions of Texas and New Mexico that need water . We're talking huge amounts here for just one measely inch .

mesquite buckeye

My calcs come out to 33475, but whatever. Minor point.

Only a portion of any of these areas is really well suited to irrigation, after taking off mountains, other rough land, national parks, state lands, BLM lands, Indian lands etc.

And we are, in fact talking about huge amounts of water, no doubt.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SPIKER

Lots of fun thinking about these things true,

Anyone aware that the famous CA valleys growing much of the nations veggies was mostly dry desert up into the 50's when they built the aquifers that bring water down from northern wet areas.   

I spent many years in Midwest & been thru the southwest.   Kansas, Nebraska up into Idaho and the Dakotas grow really well just about any grain crop.   Same coming back east and up into the north, (TN, Virginia etc in mid east coast are good ground but not real good for farming.)   Once ya get into the Carolinas & farther south farming starts coming back heading into the south east.   

Get down south & south west well the sand will soak up so much water it might be impossible to get enough to make it really grown much, some Cotton and other dry crops maybe.   I forget now how much water they use to water veggies in the So. California but it is a lot.   

I love watching the Yukon Men show on Discovery, it is a BIG and FAST moving river for sure.   they also have lots of regulations on rivers and tributaries due to the salmon fishing and all those natural issues. 

Pumping water is difficult, but I suppose you could use a funnel type to ram water up for a while but would not go that far.

Mark 
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mesquite buckeye

I was thinking a bucket brigade as a show of solidarity. ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Kansas

For the record... I don't think there is any spring wheat grown in Kansas. Back in my grain elevator days, I saw one guy attempt it, and it was a total disaster. Its all winter wheat. Northern Nebraska, I don't know about. Not sure where the line is where they switch from winter to spring wheat.

Al_Smith

I might have been mistaken about what kind of wheat .That I refered to was a trip in 1965 between my junior and senior year of high school .They where harvesting wheat in late August which I assumed to be hard wheat .The wheat around here which is winter wheat comes off around first of July.

That trip was via I 80 outbound and I 70 inbound .

mesquite buckeye

There are several types of wheat: hard wheats, used mostly for breads, soft wheats, used for general baking and pastries, and durum wheat, used to produce pastas. There are some others, but they are not generally grown in the US.

The hard and soft wheats come in both winter and spring forms, the only difference being the time of planting. Winter wheats are planted in the fall and spring wheats in the spring. Winter wheats are generally higher yielding, but subject to frost heaving and winter kill in severe climates. As you move north in the wheat growing areas, you find more spring wheats.

Ohio and Kansas both are in the primary winter wheat area, but if memory serves, Ohio has mostly soft red winter wheat, and Kansas has more hard winter wheat.

Hope that is of some help. Wheat is cool. ;D

Al_Smith

Well there I learned something as I was always under the impression that hard wheat was spring wheat .

Not to get off on too much of a tangent of discussing water but what then would be harvested in late August as far as  wheat ?

mesquite buckeye

I looked up Kansas, Nebraska on the production maps. looks like all hard red winter wheat area. It may be the hard wheats get ripe later in the season. Wheat in Ohio is usually June as I remember.

sandhills

Around my area (basically central Nebraska) a lot of guys have planted winter wheat and then followed it up with soybeans.  They most generally are harvesting the wheat around the end of June to first part of July, pretty risky sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

mesquite buckeye

My dad used to do that in Missouri. Seemed like about half the time it did ok. Maybe once in 5 or 6 years the rains would come just right and he would get almost as much as with the early beans. Double crop is good. ;D

Kansas

Back in the grain elevator days, the question for us would be, would wheat harvest be wrapped up by the 4th of July so we would have it off? Some years yes, some no. Now there is very little wheat grown in NE Kansas. Back in the day, the old timers around the local farmers Co-op said farmers came to town twice a year to pay their bill. Once at wheat harvest, once at fall harvest. I guess a lot of the farmers used the Co-op as a kind of bank. They would just deposit their grain checks at the Co-op, take what they needed for supplies, and leave what was left, over and beyond their bill.

Had to go to school to learn how to distinguish the difference between hard and soft winter wheat. They had this grand idea to keep them apart in the grain bins. I never could really tell the difference. I can tell you now, it all got put into the same bins. A load of hard wheat going out? You pulled a lever. You wanted soft wheat? Pull the same lever.

Thank You Sponsors!