iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with tree identification?

Started by jswai144, April 01, 2020, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jswai144

<>

This tree was down on my property in Franklin county Virginia. I initially thought it was black locust but I really have no clue in all honesty.

WDH

Looks to be sourwood.  A pic of bud at the end of a twig will help confirm.

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John Mc

Any chance that could be a Chestnut Oak (Quercus montana)?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Southside

That looks like the Sourwood I have here.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

John Mc

By the way @jswai144 , welcome to the forestry forum.

A bit of description of the two species:
Sourwood

Chestnut Oak

We don't have Sourwood in my part of the country, so I'm not at all familiar with it. I was just guessing from the bark in your photo, which looks a good bit like the chestnut Oak we have here in VT. From the distribution maps, either is possible in your part of Virginia. I'll defer to the folks in your area who have answered, since they are likely much more familiar with the species.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Walnut Beast

Can anybody tell me what kind of tree this is. I was going to take some pictures with the leaves but I didn't get to it earlier when it had some 

SwampDonkey

Are you near the Missouri River? Could be cherry along the valley. I see a leaf on a lower limb that looks lancelate shape.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

No. I'm a ways away from there. But these are along the creek bottom 

chestnut

Walnut Beast.  That looks like Hackberry to me.

WDH

I believe that is a red oak, most likely black oak.  Look at a twig to see if there is a mace-like cluster of buds at the tip if you don't have any leaves. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Walnut Beast on November 04, 2020, 05:12:19 AM
No. I'm a ways away from there. But these are along the creek bottom
Probably not cherry then. Likely an oak.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

X2 on the sourwood, its kinda smelly and the bark crunches off in blocks like croutons almost.  Its very rot resistant in the dirt but the pith cracks bad as it dries and usually splits the whole length open.  Itll still work well for a pasture post. 

The stump will sprout a ton of mostly straight shoots.   shoots were what indians used for arrows. Very straight with no knobs. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Thanks guys. I'll get a twig sometime and get a picture and give a update on what I find 

Ron Scott

~Ron

KEC

Bark sure looks like Hackberry. Talking about Walnut Beasts' photos.

Thank You Sponsors!