iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightweight bars?

Started by Fatcougar, January 27, 2014, 02:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatcougar

Does anyone have any feedback on the Sugihara light weight bars or any of the other brands of lightweight bars out there? Wondering how they hold up and if they are rigid enough compared to a regular guide bar. Saving about a pound off the end of my 32 inch bar would balance my saw just about perfectly I think..... not that you would notice once it's in a log, but whatever.... my birthday is coming soon..... 8)
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

JakeG

I have Sugihara 24" & 32" bars as well as "TOTAL" super pro bars in 20, 24 & 28 inch.

The Sugihara 24" is as light as the TOTAL 20". The Sugihara 32" is as light as (if not a hair lighter than) the TOTAL 28". Both longer Sugihara bars balance better than the TOTAL bars I compared them to.
$5.00 fine for whinin'

Andyshine77

The Stihl ES Light bars and Husky Techlite bars are the best on the market, lighter and stronger. Husky only offers two lengths I believe, 20" and 28" Stihl offers 24" through 32" if my memory is correct. Sugihara bars are OK, the sprocket tips seem to be a weak point, and they aren't as light as the Stihl or Husky offerings. Oregon Reduced weight bars are light, but not ridged enough IMHO, but overall pretty nice, and they share the same sprocket tip as normal Power Match plus bars.
Andre.

CR888

I have some coming from the states ATM so l can't offer a review. But l can say this, when l called my stihl dealer buddy and asked why he or anyone else in Australia did not stock them he said that due to our conditions over here (meaning hard dry wood) the heat generated in the cut would melt the resin inside the bar and it would ooze out. While l have never heard of this happening, l have NEVER seen any RW bars for sale regardless of brand here. I went against this advice and have some RW bars on there way. I have only heard positive reviews from those who actually use them in other countries. I do like the look of the Tsumara light & tough but don't no where to buy them.

DonT

I am running the husky tech-lite on a 372 and like it a lot,but not sure of there durability compared to added cost.Time will tell I guess.   DT

John Mc

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, CR888.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Fatcougar

Thanks very much to all for the feedback! I have been going back and forth in my brain on which to buy. It seems like I will probably go with the Stihl bar since it is available at my local shop and is cheaper than the Sugihara.... but I have read some really good reviews on line about the Sugiharas. The Husky bar sounds good too, but my saw might get an identity crisis with a Swedish name brand bar on it!!! ( I should probably buy a Husky saw next since all my ancestors are Swedish. lol)
Thanks again for the input so far, very good info. :P
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

ktoom

I just picked up a 28" Sugi for my Jred. I actually got it in Stihl mount, so it can go on all my saws. Didn't know Sugi's had durability issues?

DonT

Who sells the sugihara mail order?

Andyshine77

I've seen a few of the Sugihara tips fail, and they normally come with an extra tip, at least they use to.

I weighed a few different bars on a digital scale.

Sugi 28" 

Techlite 28"

Oregon 24"

Andre.

JakeG

Quote from: DonT on January 28, 2014, 02:24:50 PM
Who sells the sugihara mail order?

I get my bars from the weedeaterman. Google should help.
$5.00 fine for whinin'

ktoom

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 28, 2014, 05:11:50 PM
I've seen a few of the Sugihara tips fail, and they normally come with an extra tip, at least they use to.

Sugi 28" 

Techlite 28"

Oregon 24"

Thats very interesting Andre. Thanks for posting the different weights. Now do these bar tip failures occur when used everyday? I wont be using mine too much. Maybe for the occasional BIG tree lol.

Im glad I got my bar at the old pricing. Im assuming the "new" pricing would put my 28" Sugi at the same price as a 28" Techlite. I would be upset if i paid the same price as a Techlite just to find out the Sugi is heavier than the Techlite.

At least, with the Sugi, it came with bar spacers and it will fit all my saws.

HolmenTree

I've never used a Husqvarna TechLite bar yet to test, but my only concern is seeing it's a laminated bar... how much life can you get out of the bar before the rails spread beyond repair.
Experience has taught me laminated bars are near impossible to retighten the rail groove before they quickly spread again.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Fatcougar

Andyshine, thanks very much for weighing the different bars.  That is quite a difference on the Husky, I'm impressed. I wonder what the 28" Stihl Light bar weighs?   May have to have a silver bar on my 461 at this rate...Lol.
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

Andyshine77

Quote from: ktoom on January 29, 2014, 09:51:09 AM
Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 28, 2014, 05:11:50 PM

Sugi 28" 

Techlite 28"

Oregon 24"

Thats very interesting Andre. Thanks for posting the different weights. Now do these bar tip failures occur when used everyday? I wont be using mine too much. Maybe for the occasional BIG tree lol.

Im glad I got my bar at the old pricing. Im assuming the "new" pricing would put my 28" Sugi at the same price as a 28" Techlite. I would be upset if i paid the same price as a Techlite just to find out the Sugi is heavier than the Techlite.

At least, with the Sugi, it came with bar spacers and it will fit all my saws.

The tips I've seen fail where on saws that see occasional use. I personally wouldn't run one in a professional setting. It's definitely a plus to be able to run the bars on both Stihl and Husky saws.
Andre.

Andyshine77

Quote from: Fatcougar on January 29, 2014, 11:08:56 AM
Andyshine, thanks very much for weighing the different bars.  That is quite a difference on the Husky, I'm impressed. I wonder what the 28" Stihl Light bar weighs?   May have to have a silver bar on my 461 at this rate...Lol.

The Stihl light bar is the exact same weight as the Techlite.

I don't believe the Techlite is laminate in the same manner as a normal small guide bar, they feel nice and solid.
Andre.

SawTroll

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 29, 2014, 03:17:47 PM
Quote from: Fatcougar on January 29, 2014, 11:08:56 AM

The Stihl light bar is the exact same weight as the Techlite.

I don't believe the Techlite is laminate in the same manner as a normal small guide bar, they feel nice and solid.

As I understand it, the TechLite is a laminate (centre laminate is alu), but the laminates are bonded together much better than in a traditional laminate.

One lightweight option that hasn't been mentioned here yet is the Tsumura Light & Tough. The principle with that one is pretty much the same as with the Sugihara.
Information collector.

Andyshine77

Quote from: SawTroll on January 29, 2014, 03:58:51 PM

As I understand it, the TechLite is a laminate (centre laminate is alu), but the laminates are bonded together much better than in a traditional laminate.

One lightweight option that hasn't been mentioned here yet is the Tsumura Light & Tough. The principle with that one is pretty much the same as with the Sugihara.

I believe the Techlite is not only bonded, but also riveted together. 
Andre.

CR888

Thanks for the welcome John! I like it here lots of nice folks happy to help each other and share knowledge.  8)

SawTroll

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 29, 2014, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on January 29, 2014, 03:58:51 PM

I believe the Techlite is not only bonded, but also riveted together.

Yes, both!  :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!