iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

yesterday morning early the temp. went below zero, not suppose to reach zero until late friday. ugh :( then we'll have one day above zero then back in the freezer. ugh ugh :( this morning it was 29 deg below zero f with a high temp this afternoon of a balmy 11 below zero. yeh  :) i guess the bright side is its not suppose to snow far a few days. yippy :D
if a guy only had to look thru the window it might be tolorable but, spending most of every day in it really starts to wear you down. we get the wisconsin hunch. where your shoulders get higher or your neck gets lower :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Crow99

You are probably correct with your inches. All that report means is that some "official" observer got 12 in. You got what you got where you are.... I've got a couple of spots at my place that I stick a ruler in and I don't always get the "official" amount. Snowfall can vary considerably over sometimes rather short distances. You say 15 inches, it looks like 15 inches to me.... ;D

Crow99

Red Oaks lumber... yeah what you got is headed my way. It goes below zero Tuesday night and doesn't go above again until Saturday.  I think Wednesday night is minus 29 (probably be minus 35 at my place) and high on Thursday is supposed to be minus 16. Oh joy!!

Dusty Rhodes

Man am I feeling for you guys up north.  I whine if it gets to the single digits.  Brings back memories  though when I lived in Caribou, Me.  Survival Mode is what I'd call it.  Sure hope your heat source stays plentiful.  Winter is just getting started. 

SwampDonkey

We are used to it (and all the blat'n along with it :) ). Many men (and women) survived it for centuries.  ;D

As Richard Robertson would say, 'it's a two Stanfield morning kind of cold'. He's a retired meteorologist from CBC radio. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Crow99

Anyone wondering what "blat'n" means..  This is a small dictionary from Swamp Donkey Country. (I hope the link works)

Also check out "jillpoke."  ;) somebody called me that once and I found the definition here.

http://www.dooryard.ca/blat.html

mesquite buckeye

Guys. Can I just say yuck?

If you get sick of it it's supposed to be in the 70's out here for at least the next week and a half. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Well used words. :D ;D

Actually, I never tire of it. I have lots of hobbies. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

And I have fire wood ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

I suppose if it gets real bad, there is always the furniture. Then maybe the interior doors and casings. :D

sandhills

SD I had to chuckle, some neighbors of ours are renovating a big old 2 story farmhouse they own for their college graduate daughter who moved back home.  So far they've lifted the house, poured a new basement, new roof, new siding, gutted the entire thing including electrical and plumbing, tore all carpet out and refinished the wood floors, and now they basically have all the doors and casings out, they're stripping them all down to refinish them.  Stopped in Sunday night while they were working on them and believe me there's nothing they'd rather do than burn the doors  :D.  One thing that was neat is all the casings were marked from the lumber company and dated 1911, it will be very nice when it's done but I told them after all this work they should move in and give her their house  :D.  Back to weather, nice today, guessing mid 30's and suppose to hold through the weekend  :new_year: everyone.

SwampDonkey

I remember one winter some 25 years ago. A neighbor about 2 miles down the road from grandfather's place burnt all their winters wood and by spring time the woodshed went through the stove also. ;D

mesquite buckeye

Sure beats freezing to death.

72 and sunny, BTW. ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :new_year:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 31, 2013, 04:19:57 PM
Sure beats freezing to death.

72 and sunny, BTW. ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :new_year:

I know  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

just remember mes buckeye, what goes around will come around. next summer when its hotter than the depths of hell in your area. i'll be one of the first ones pointing out the fact how nice my area is so, i ask nicely please dont rub our frozen face in it now.  :) it really is about survival, animals really start suffering. i have aflock of turkeys that are eating at my bunker silo, (corn silage) they stay about 30 ft. to the side as im running tractors ans skidsteer. like i say its all about survival at these temps.
again our high temp today was minus 10 deg. f :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ancjr

30f here and plenty cold for me.  We hit -20f in 1994 and am plenty thankful it's not that cold here now.

Chuck White

Still riding between 0° & 10°F in this area, we are very thankful to have the power back on!

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 31, 2013, 06:57:49 PM
just remember mes buckeye, what goes around will come around. next summer when its hotter than the depths of hell in your area. i'll be one of the first ones pointing out the fact how nice my area is so, i ask nicely please dont rub our frozen face in it now.  :) it really is about survival, animals really start suffering. i have aflock of turkeys that are eating at my bunker silo, (corn silage) they stay about 30 ft. to the side as im running tractors ans skidsteer. like i say its all about survival at these temps.again our high temp today was minus 10 deg. f :(

Reading through the headlines this morning, I found this!

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2013/12/30/deer-stranded-on-st-lawrence-river

It does seem like the powers-to-be would do something to get them off the ice!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Like not finding a dead cat in a tree, the deer will find their way off the ice. They can swim.

Trying to capture them and air lift them off the ice without putting people on the ice might be near impossible.
If they think they are suffering out there, then shoot them and put them out of their misery.

Otherwise, I agree with "let them be".

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Alcranb

Quote from: beenthere on December 31, 2013, 09:35:07 PM
Like not finding a dead cat in a tree, the deer will find their way off the ice. They can swim.

Trying to capture them and air lift them off the ice without putting people on the ice might be near impossible.
If they think they are suffering out there, then shoot them and put them out of their misery.

Otherwise, I agree with "let them be".

Wow did that bring back memories lol!
The first Fire Chief I worked for was a bachelor, retired Navy Officer. Calling him crusty would be an understatement to say the least. One day a woman came to the center station all distraught looking to see the Chief. Seems she had been put off by dispatch in regards to a cat up in a tree. Well he met her on the apparatus floor, listened to her concerns and without missing a beat told her " lady you ever see a cat skeleton in a tree?" Shocked his head and went back to his office. That was some 35 years ago. PC wasn't in the dictionary back then.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

SwampDonkey

Deer and ice. I had to listen for about 4 weeks on the radio one winter about some deer stranded on river ice that was running from a coyote. It was a slow stretch in the news I guess.  Good thing it wasn't about wood bison and wolves, never here the end of it.  ::)

pep

Still tropical here -34C, 2 or 3 more days of bitter cold then warming to -6 by Saturday with snow in the forecast
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

beenthere

Quote from: Chuck White on December 31, 2013, 09:28:31 PM
Reading through the headlines this morning, I found this!

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2013/12/30/deer-stranded-on-st-lawrence-river

It does seem like the powers-to-be would do something to get them off the ice!

They made it back to land Tuesday afternoon... guess they took it upon themselves to get off the ice.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I wonder if they were escaping Anticosti Island? ;) That was a place that was talked about by my grandfather to go deer hunting.

Chuck White

Only 2°F this morning, supposed to warm up into the 30's this weekend!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

It was -10 in the night. Right now it's 3 above and clear. Some snow on the way here too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!