iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

300 pages and 6000 posts. It is about 10°F here now, suppose to go to 32 at 2 pm, lets hope so, I'd like to saw a log today.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

chain

I'm sure most of you along the northern tier of States as well as in Canada feel this is just another, "ho-hum-let's-git-'er-done" winter. But here, normally, we have about two weeks of so-called 'winter' around Christmas time. I'm trying to say that folks are not prepared.

For instance, I ventured out yesterday for lunches at local McDonalds, took my 4-wheel drive pick'em up. I could not get up to the jabber box to place my order! Ice & sleet & snow had mounded up all around the drive. Folks were getting out of the cars and inching out, hanging on  to their open car-door and shouting their orders. Then, they often just sat there spinning their tires, backing up or someone giving a helping push. Crazy!

thecfarm

We get snow here. USUALLY not ice. We did have one ice storm,my driveway is still not melted from that. This winter has been odd. Real cold and I only had 4-6 inches of snow on the ground before this last storm of 6-8 inches. I have been watching the news and feel sorry for all of you that have been having a lot of snow and a lot of ice. PA just had an ice storm. I think some of our electric company trucks went to help out.Next winter will be better,I hope.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

It is 20 F here at high noon, which is amazing. A little breezy. Nice in the shop though, but one issue down there is the warmth wakes up the mosquitoes. Yep, mosquitoes in the winter time.  ::) ::) ::) >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Almost high noon here,one hour to go. I checked about 15 minutes ago and it was 22.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crow99

Those are snow flies....

ancjr

13F, sunny, calm.  8" of snow with ice crust on top that fell Tuesday has packed to 4" of ice.  :)

SwampDonkey

Crow, I know what snow fleas are, they are actually springtails. But these are mosquitoes, blood sucking mosquitoes. I've had them every winter in the shop and if it gets into the high 30's or warmer they fly around in the barn to. Springtails I only see out in the snow when snowshoeing, and not too often.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Crow99

Well ya made me go look up "snow fleas..  " and we get the occasional winter mosquito here too. But the snow flies I was referring to are the ones everybody always talks about: "When the snow flies..   " those ones.
I guess my sense of humor must have gone south with the bowl of grits I had for breakfast this morning. .  ::)

SwampDonkey

:D :D Oh, well yeah. ;D

red oaks lumber

wow !! we made it up to 12 degree today ;D started at minus 12 but, at this point we'll take it. might not see the plus side again till early next week :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

chevytaHOE5674

Woke up this morning to -6° and calm winds then once the sun came UP it got to 16° and it felt like summer time. Then all the sudden the wind picked up to 25-30mph and the windchills dropped to below zero and it is bitter out there now. Getting real tired of this.

Roxie

Quote from: thecfarm on February 07, 2014, 08:33:44 AM
I have been watching the news and feel sorry for all of you that have been having a lot of snow and a lot of ice. PA just had an ice storm. I think some of our electric company trucks went to help out.Next winter will be better,I hope.

Egads!!  Didn't anyone notice that I've been "missing" for 3 days?!  It's a disaster area down here and in my county, 43% still don't have power.  We got back on the grid at 6 PM tonight.  I missed you guys! 
Say when

thecfarm

Roxie,so glad to hear from you. I've been trying to reach you for 3 days. I sent a note down with Paul,a Central Maine Power worker. Did you get it?  :D
Glad to hear you're all set. How the temps there?

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on February 07, 2014, 07:29:46 PM
Roxie,so glad to hear from you. I've been trying to reach you for 3 days. I sent a note down with Paul,a Central Maine Power worker. Did you get it?  :D
Glad to hear you're all set. How the temps there?

Please send help to my place! Our power went off Wednesday and we are told maybe Sunday they will get here. My little Honda 2000 will run just the oil furnace about 8 hours on a gallon of gas but now I'm running my 10,000 w welder/generator so we have heat, water, and nearly everything else but using about 20 gallon a day, it keeps the wife happy so that's what we do but I'm getting tired of filling gas every 8 hours.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

It's not fun losing power in freezing cold. We've just been lucky up this way. We've got snow, but not extreme. In fact, missed most big storms this year. We only got a dusting the other day here, been cold enough though. I'm not immune to ice storms, but this seems to be the north end of most ice. A little north of here and they never get ice, or rarely. I've seen a lot of trees get broken down around here over the years, more so on the ridge tops. Sometimes Mars Hill will look like an ice ball on top and you can draw a line that divides ice from clean trees.  :-\

gspren

Our problem this time was a wet sticky snow on Monday and then ice on Wednesday that broke lots of limbs onto power lines. My area is very rural (farms) and the power companies are concentrating on the urban areas. We haven't even seen a work truck in the area yet.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WDH

Roxie and gspren,

Sorry to hear about the trials an tribulations with your ice. Ice is nasty. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Definite cooling trend. Only 124 in the greenhouse this week. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dusty Rhodes

Roxie and Gspren,  My wife's been trying to do her part to help you guys out.  She works for one of the power companies and has been manning the phone lines and dispatching crews  at the call center for the last three days on storm duty. She has been on 16 hours shifts then off for 8 hours for sleep and back on again for another 16.  They are making progress, regretfully it takes time for all the crews to take care of the hazards, then get the repair crews in to make the fixes.  Coordinating all the various power company crews that come in from all the other states is quite the logistical dance as well.  Feel thankful that all the power companies do try to help one another out to get the power back on asap.     

hardtailjohn

Almost 40 degrees warmer here this morning than it was yesterday morning. It was -3 degrees at 6AM. It was snowing by 7AM, but turned out to be pretty nice! By the time I was came home from the shop tonight it was back down to -25..... but the good news is that it's supposed to hit 38 above by Sunday, so at least we'll get our ice back! haha
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

coxy

I am not shur if I said it before but this summer will most likely be so hot and dry you wont be able to spit     its -2 this am     I am tired of cutting wood   I am in to my march pile trying to save some dry wood to mix with the green so it will burn better  going to have to cut 5-6 more cords next year to be on the safe side  :) :) :)hope it warms up over there in pa so they can get it done faster

thecfarm

I had -3 for a low in the night.12 above at almost 7:30am. Looks like another bright sun sunny day. Temps in the 20's again.

Magicman

Pa. got the kind of weather/snow that we normally get; wet, nasty, and heavy.  I feel for you guys.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Rain last night but it is 42° and sunny now.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!