iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well, so much for their rain forecast. Clear blue skies here today. Their new forecast says showers tonight and tomorrow turning to snow and turning cold again. No 50's here yet this spring and don't look likely for a long time. Rain next week is going to be a cold one in the 30's, that kind of rain doesn't melt much snow. Sap yesterday and today though. ;D :D

Calling for a soaker the first of next week. I'm skeptical of a storm crossing the continent dumping much rain. Those kind loose their punch over distance in my experience. Although, it is reaching as far south as the Gulf and maybe pulling that moisture north. Hmm SW rain will be good for a change. And they said wind was a coming.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

That's quite a change Ian, get your snow-shovel ready!  :snowball:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

ian i jnow you are many mille south of me bur we STILL have aover foot of snow. Maybe both ends of this "rock" will have some winter over lap this year.  :D 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

chevytaHOE5674

4" of snow so far today and still coming down. Winter can leave anytime. Still 2-3 feet of "old" snow in the woods and fields to melt yet.

SwampDonkey

We've got over two feet of snow in the woods up here and lots in the fields, up to 30" in places, only bare spots are springs. It has not accumulated much since February because the biggest storm since only dropped 6" and most since barely an inch. :snowball: It's just cold. Melts fast on the road and banks of plowed snow with dirt in it. Don't melt much out in the fields or woods. 36 now, no heat wave. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Anybody live on that mountain Ian? 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on April 12, 2018, 05:16:43 PM
Anybody live on that mountain Ian?
It's all National Park, basically a 6 mile ring around the summit was surveyed off and reserved as parkland when the local forests where mostly cleared for farming. There are a couple of tourist lodges / visitors centres up near the tree line, and several hiking huts around the park, but that's all. 
Weather up there just gets so severe (at almost any time of the year) and can change on such short notice. It's NZs second most dangerous Mt, because it's easy to access but the weather is so unpredictable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Taranaki
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Interesting Ianab.  About how far are from that mountain?

We have rain right now. That will make that snow soft. On the edge of the woods I have a good foot of snow. Get into the woods and there is patches of snow. I was making a path with the tractor on the edge of the woods. Might haul some wood out. Where I went seem firm,for now. Got up to 50° up in the Newport area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Straight line, about 12 miles from the summit. 
(and a bit over 7,000ft vertical)  ;)

We sometimes get a sprinkling of snow down here in town, but not every year. Winter usually just means cold rain. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of Prince Rupert along the BC coast mountains. Except it is perpetual cold rain, 2.6 meters worth in a year. Perched lakes on mountain top with water dropping over the side or muskeg bog on top or just rock and moss. Greasy forest floor to slide up and down hills when walking. Trees over 100 ft tall though, spruce over 200 ft. ;D :D

Ianab

Pacific NW is the about the closest you  will get to West Coast NZ

That 2.6  m is about what we got where I grew up. Pretty wet. Up on the Mt it might be 2X that.

thecfarm

40° this morning. Looks to be a warm day. Have not been this warm in the morning for a while. Sun and clouds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

34 here this morning after a white covering was left behind in the night. Some sun here and maybe high 40's by afternoon. But their predicted highs have been off by a lot this spring.

Raider Bill

71, sunny and clear here this morning. Heading over the the other coast this weekend on the bike.
Just bought a Solar-tech shirt to keep me cool and the sun off. Hope it works.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Bandmill Bandit

4 inches of fresh snow and minus 4 C this morning. Even saw a flock of Geese heading south. Think they gave up on spring too.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SwampDonkey

Saw two lone 'McKenna' Canada geese here this morning on a bare patch of hay stubble. Still only 38F here, and this is hottest part of the day, so 50F ain't gonna happen. ;D :D

thecfarm

WOW,we lost some snow. And the ice took a beating too. I have some ice down where I cut my firewood. Lost a lot there too. :o  The field is bare. Maybe 50° today, 48 now.

Woodcutter_Mo

It got up into the 80's yesterday and today. Stayed above 60 last night, tonight it's currently 67F with heavy thunder storms. The tornado siren was going off earlier, heard of some damage in some places but not sure if a tornado touched down or if it was just strait line winds.

I believe it will cool down after the storm and only be around 50F tomorrow. The furnace got a break for a couple days  :D

Btw, morel mushrooms are up  ;D
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

SwampDonkey

Took a drive yesterday around Holmesville, which is another area of big 100+ acre potato fields like here. They are on the east side of the river valley. Still lots of snow in the fields, but less than we have. It was melting here, but not like it would at 50 degrees. Never reached 40F. ;D They say a big rain coming, we'll see. All the river ice may just be on the move along with 2-3 feet of woods snow. ;) However, we are in for a cold weekend here before the rain. It is 32 this morning, but not getting to 40F all weekend.

thecfarm

Wet through the night,40°,all clouds now.

Bricklayer51

Winters back again 8 inches still coming down hard looking to get 5 inches more

SwampDonkey

Strong and cold NW winds a howling today. Temp has dropped to 24F since this morning. No sap day, no melt neither. :snowball:

51cub

55 now, forecast is for the mid 60s. Mid 30s with rain and sleet tomorrow
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

pineywoods

We got clobbered pretty hard last night. Torrential rain, a few scattered twisters, trees down, roads blocked, out of power till 1 am today. I have a few limbs in the yard, otherwise no damage, BUT I ain't been out in my woods yet. Any blowdowns there will just have to lie and wait, too wet to get them out.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!