iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

The forecast says we should get around -26°F tonight with some strong winds. We gave extra feed and made sure the water's thawed to the animals but I feel sorry for them regardless. It amazes me that anything can survive in this weather....me included. :D

Burlkraft

Same forecast for here  ::)  ::)  ::)

I wish it was spring   :-\  :-\  :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on January 14, 2009, 05:32:36 PM
I dont know where the heck they (you) got that.

:D :D :D :D

0 F here now. If it goes down to -25C like they said, that's nothing knew, it has already been colder than that by 3 degrees here. The media sure make something out of nothing, must have boring jobs. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

Where is gobal warming when you need it!

Stonebroke

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

Quote from: Norm on January 14, 2009, 05:51:42 PM
The forecast says we should get around -26°F tonight with some strong winds. We gave extra feed and made sure the water's thawed to the animals but I feel sorry for them regardless. It amazes me that anything can survive in this weather....me included. :D

Do you guys normally get those kinds of temps at least once per winter or is this a rarity for you?  I imagine it is more difficult for most folks and animals down there to deal with it, whereas up here we are more equipped.

As for how to survive in it...  it's weird.  You get acclimatized to it.  after 2+ weeks of nothing warmer than -40F, I was starting to think of it as normal and it didn't feel so bad.  Of course, 5 above never felt so good.  It is 30 above right now and everyone around here is in tshirts.  ;D

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on January 14, 2009, 07:16:35 PM
This is where I get it....

http://www.weather.gov/

That must explain the black sedan in the driveway with the guy jumping out licking his finger and holding it to the wind.

We usually get at least one snap during the winter with minus tems below -5. Every couple years or so it seems we get them even colder, like last night.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

It's been 5-6 years since we have had the -20+ temps. 20-30 years ago, when they were predicting going into an ice age, we would get a couple weeks straight of -20 F for lows, and about 0 F for highs. 40 yrs ago, would get the -35 F a few times a winter.

In the 70's, would go deer hunting around Thanksgiving and leave the cabin at -10 to -20 F. So thanks to global warming, we warmed up until this winter. Looks like only a couple nights of -25 ± F and we will be back warm again (low of 0 like Jeff had this morning... :D :D :D).

I looked and that 0 F was at Houghton Lake, Roscommon County Airport. Prolly not near you.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Houghton lake is on the largest inland lake in Michigan. 25 miles north of us. Completely different weather. Then again we have completely different weather then 8 miles south of us as our elevation takes a jump there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

Well tonight the TV weatherman was trying his best to ease the pain when he said those famous words, "aw, when it gets below zero, it's just plain cold anyway."  ::)

Then he tried to east the pain further when he said that tonight will not be the coldest night anyway, that would be tomorrow night.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Well as of now it's -12 F here, I'm waiting to see Caribou Maine's temp. this morning. It's probably going to get a degree or two colder before daylight, usually does. Although this is colder than normal, we usually get a few days of it. I would imagine up in Northern Maine along the rivers it will be 10 degrees colder or more. It will get a lot colder 30 miles north of here where three rivers come together. I expect it's -20 F up there. That cold air flows like water. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Yeah, Caribou is -13 F, so it's not anything to get excited over. But, it sure is cold, be sure of that. :D

cilley

Hi guys........-12 degrees here this am.......not in any hurry to go out and get the paper ......have a good day all........alan in nh

thecfarm

I had -5 before daylight.It's at -7 as of this moment.Just throw another log on the fire.We're kinda use to it.Happens once or twice a winter.Not that we like it.I've seen it get down to the single digits and not get in the double ones for 2 weeks  before.Quite a few years ago,probably 5-8 years back we had -40 in this area.Now that put a stop to just about everything.We are not ready for that.Seems like that was for only one day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Johnson

It's a bit nippy here this morning, -38F but with the windchill it feels like -51F.  The good news......there's no black flies :D
Bill

Tom_in_Mo.

Guess we had a heat wave here in South East, Mo. this morning, around the ole 0 mark.

stonebroke

Saw on the news this morning that Fairbanks is 44 degrees this morning.

Stonebroke

Norm

Well once again the weather forecasters have missed the mark....-27°F here this morning. On the good side the wind has dropped down so at least the drifts weren't so bad coming to work.

Warbird we don't normally get this cold around here. -15°F isn't unusual but I heard this is the coldest it's been in 12 years. The high for the day is going to be -10°F but the sun is shining and no snow so all and all it could be worse.

olyman

well--the thermo said 28 BELOW this am--at 7 bells----sheesh---weve already had winter--before january------brrrrrrrrrr

farmerdoug

Where is Tom, DanG, and our other Southern guys?  Did they freeze solid or did their southern electricity freeze up in the power lines? ::) ;D
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Burlkraft

It started out at -15° at daylight and now it's right on the -20° line  :-\  :-\  :-\

I'm sure Beenthere is gonna look it up to see if I'm right  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Gary_C

I don't even have to look at my thermometer. It's just one of those stick on ones on the outside of the window.

It's 0 F here. But then again thats because that thermometer goes down to zero and refuses to go further. It kind of fits in around here.   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Warbird

Quote from: stonebroke on January 15, 2009, 09:08:51 AM
Saw on the news this morning that Fairbanks is 44 degrees this morning.

Stonebroke

Yup.  It's apparently in the mid 40's in areas today.  To be honest, this is a bit too warm for this time of year.  It is 27F at my house this morning.

Radar67

Quote from: farmerdoug on January 15, 2009, 09:18:46 AM
Where is Tom, DanG, and our other Southern guys?  Did they freeze solid or did their southern electricity freeze up in the power lines? ::) ;D

Nope, we ain't froze up. I got 39°F this morning. We actually have a hard freeze warning for the weekend here, first time I can remember since my duck story escapades 10 years or so ago. I have to admit that I am sort of glad to see some cold temps coming for a few days, maybe it will get rid of some of the over-populated bugs we have in summer.

Other than that, we are sitting back listening to all you Northerners gripe about the cold weather, like you do every year... :D :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

-8 F here now, didn't warm up too much. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!