iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Still cold here.  Calling for -45 F tonight again.  Might start warming up a bit in a couple days.  Sure hope so.  Everyone around here is really feeling the drag this winter.

Roxie

Going up to 67 today!  It's so warm that the bee's were being pesky. 
Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Getting up to 68 here today. And you're right, the bees are out. Trees are ready to bust open with blooms.

If we get a big freeze in the next month, it's gonna hurt our peach crops in my area pretty bad!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

lumberjack48

Its 28 F here, this weather is scary to a logger, we've only had 2 or 3 nights below 0.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

the winter that wasnt. snowed all day yesterday 1" sanded twice frezzing rain today sanded twice today dropping into the low 20's tonite so at 3am ill throw some more dirt in the road

chain

This has to be one of the mildest of all winters. Watching the animals there have been many raccoon and coyotes road-killed this past week.

The river otter which always used to gather in a deep hole around a boat dock in winter here, have dispersed already into the field ditches that usually are frozen solid this time of year. They love those crayfish more than fish, I think.

sawguy21

The local nurseries are putting plants out, we are starting to get calls for lawn mower and tiller parts. :o My buddy and his son are hauling logs in west central Alberta, the weather is driving them nuts. He starts at 2:30 a.m, supposed to get three trips a day but right now the third is iffy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warbird

Yeah!  Up to -11 and might get to 20 above tomorrow.  Only suppoed to last a couple of days but I will gladly take it!

SwampDonkey

Plain old winter here, won't have to worry about mowing for a few weeks. ;D NYC they said was in the 60's and it's usually pretty frigid down there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lumberjack48

Northern MN. , the next 10 days, lows, 10 to 15, highs 30+ this makes a guy wonder what Mar. is going to bring us. I have seen -20 in Mar. yrs ago. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

submarinesailor

This was in one of my weekly trade rags I read:

The moderate weather that has so far been the calling card of this winter will give way to lower temperatures, with colder-than-normal temperatures dominating the nation's northern tier beginning in February, according to forecasters at XXXXXXX

The three-month forecast calls for a 2.4% reduction in heating demand compared with last winter, but a 5.2% increase relative to 1981-2010 averages, according to XXX's  Chief Meteorologist XXXXXXX.

"So far, the heating season has been the mildest since 2006-07 across the major energy demand centers of the U.S., as a very strong polar vortex has kept most of the significant and sustained cold out of the eastern U.S.," XXXXXXX said. "This regime has now ended as the polar vortex has weakened significantly. For this reason, the last half of winter and early spring will likely be much different than the first half of winter. Further, the first significant episode of North Atlantic blocking (negative NAO pattern) is expected to develop as we head into February, allowing for more widespread, below-normal temperatures in the U.S.

"While the current moderate La Nina event has already begun to wane and hasn't yet produced the expected impacts on U.S. weather patterns so far this winter, we still think that the weaker polar vortex will allow for more typical, late- winter, La Nina impacts to manifest going forward. Specifically, this favors below-normal temperatures across the northern and western U.S. and above-normal temperatures across the Southeast. For the February-April aggregate period, we think that below-normal temperatures will occur north of a Phoenix-Washington, DC, line."

Warmer-than-normal temperatures will be in place in the Northeast, Southeast and South Central areas (except west Texas) in April, while colder-than-normal temperatures are expected in the North Central, Northwest and Southwest.

Norm

It would be interesting to see how accurate their forecast was earlier this winter. I'm amazed they never say "well we screwed that one up."  :D

sandhills

Raining this morning, suppose to turn to snow later today and have 6-10" by tomorrow night.  I guess we're starting winter in February this year.  ::)

thecfarm

We have some nice warm temps for Feb. Still kinda cold at night,was down to 9° last night,but at 8:30 it's all ready up to 29°. Had temps up in the low 40's for the last 3 days. They will be posting the roads pretty quick if this keeps up. Not much melting going on in the woods though. But can cut wood with just a sweatshirt on. We might of missed the cold temps for a week or two straight.Snow is still only about 4 inches. But that can change mighty quick,but as long as may gets here when it should, it won't last.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It's supposed to hit 22° this weekend.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

MM,That's not a normal temp for you guys is it? Only for one day I hope. That's just about the time our "cold" weather will hit too. I like the way the weather people on news say cold. Don't know what they call -10 and -20.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: Magicman on February 10, 2012, 08:37:26 AM

What did you say about the pear tree?  :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

Quote from: Magicman on February 10, 2012, 08:37:26 AM

It's warmed up to 22° here!  I'm wearing short sleeves to work today!  ;) :)

SwampDonkey

It's 40 here to, yesterday was 34 here. It melts in my path to the shop, but out in the fields and woods it don't seem to do much. I know it is settling though because it evaporates. There might be 8" in the woods, but the fields still show the weeds and dogwoods where it's not mowed. Might be 6" around the yard I suppose.

Was up to my uncle's yesterday and there was load after load of huge aspen heading down by his place. All tree length. The bigger sticks looked to be close to 25" dbh. I think it's off crown land mostly.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on February 10, 2012, 10:42:30 AM
What did you say about the pear tree?  :o 

Yup, the Pear trees, etc. do not know what to do.  Thankfully those that bloom for several weeks will bud out another crop of blooms, so there is always fruit.  The daffodils are going crazy blooming and have been for a month now.

It's just a cold rain today.  I have stuff to do, but nothing that can't wait.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Warbird I must say your one tough ole bird. bg

thecfarm

Warbird,the table has turned. We are at 19° and a strong wind. The weather people said about -20 to -30 for a wind chill. I was out for a few minutes today. Long enough for me to believe them. Not suppose to last. Temps are going back up in a few days.

Autocar

Today in Ohio we still have a cold wind out of the southwest a fellow can hardly take it after the weather we have had so far this winter. Tomarrow there calling for 10/12 degrees then warming to 30's. Ground still isn't froze in the woods but feilds wheres theres know water standing is getting hard.
Bill

Al_Smith

It's been an odd one so far .Not cold  not much snow .Enough rain a times to perhaps make people think a boat would be the thing to have though .

A few as always thought they might make few bucks plowing snow which hasn't worked out so good for them .On the other hand they didn't use any fuel and didn't beat the equipment up or side swipe a car with the plow .That fact in itself is a cause for celebration . ;D

SwampDonkey

Yesterday's storm passed to the south of here and we only got enough to cover a piece of paper. Could see sun dogs all day. Sunny today, was -2 this morning come daylight and now it's 6 degrees, small breeze to.

Thank You Sponsors!