iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharp blade edges.

Started by Grower, July 31, 2011, 08:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grower

Gidday! I have sent 4 blades to Auckland to be resharpened and have just received an email telling me no big deal but the person looking after them has told me the blades have sharp edges on the backs of them from the roller guides, nothing too serious but if left it will shorten the lifespan of the blades, has anyone else run into this problem and how could it be fixed?  Thanks. ps there are a couple of pics of the rollers in my album but cant work to get a pic in here  :(
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Tom

I don't know what he meant by sharp edges on the back of the band, but if he meant that they are mushroomed, then it might be that your band is too close to the flange and is running against it all of the time.   It should be against the flange only when the band is in the wood and sawing pressure is applied.

From the one picture I found of a band mounted on your guide, it looked OK to me.  If the guide wheel is not too small for the band then the picture indicates that the band is forward enough. 

If the back of the band is about 1/16" or at the most, a 1/8" then you are OK.   

I've had the backs of some bands mushroom and have not been able to determine why.  It just might be that some band bodies are softer than others.  A file fixes it quickly.

The mushroomed back edge just makes it difficult to get an accurate set because the band won't lie flat in the setter.

Grower

Yes I think your'e right Tom, this is their reply------> "If it is touching when the blade is free running (ie not cutting) , it will cause this chafing of the back of the blade , as it is running too hard and will case harden the steel on the blade body. If adjusted forward about 1-2mm from the lip ,when it cuts it will move back slightly and touch the lip which is OK". And I think this is the exact answer to the exact question!!!!!  ;D

woodyone.john

hi grower.i live near auckland ,jaffa,[just another forester from auckland]. growing eucs cupressus accaias etc. sawing stuff my dad planted.saligna and botryoides mostly with lt40 super. have also a 10 inch peterson. its horses for courses. would be glad to make contact.cheers
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Grower

OK Cobber, I will ring you sometime, not tonight though the rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrugby is on!!!!!!!!!!!! I was sawing again today too, starting to get the hang of it now. Been sizing up more timber this arvo, she's all gotta come down.

Thank You Sponsors!