iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long should my blade stay sharp???

Started by aatkins, June 10, 2014, 08:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aatkins

Hey all,

Just picked up a used Woodmizer (1992) HD40 with 24HP.  It come with 30 old blades that I have "tried" to set and sharpen with the old equipment that came with it.  I can get through a log (walnut or cherry 10 ft. long and 24 inches wide), but after that it starts dipping into the wood and all sorts of weird stuff. I have the water on with a touch of dish soap flowing on it and everything.   

If ya'll say that I should be able to cut three times that with a new blade bought from Woodmizer for $21 than I'll just bite the bullet.  If you say send in a box to be professionally sharpened to Woodmizer at $6 a piece, can do.  Just need to know the best route to go.

Also, the blade rollers never been replaced - could this be the problem with dipping?  Bought the thing for $1,500 and have put another $1,000 as parts break (Blade guide arm motor, up down chain, alternator, battery, belts etc).  It sat in a field uncovered for 10 years, but only has 700 hours on it.  I finally got most of the bugs worked out of it. It's clean as a whistle now!  :laugh: 

I'll be looking for your wisdom.

Andy
Michigan       
Go in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have always imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Tom L

I normally get between 500-700 brd ft out of a blade before it starts to show signs of being dull.

that is with 1-1/4" 045 blades.

it depends a lot on the type of wood I am cutting and the condition of the material
if it is locust and dirty a lot less, poplar and clean a lot more.

with the 1-1/2" 055 I use them until they will not cut anymore then just pitch them, on a good day that is around 1500 ft

GDinMaine

A 24"x10' log has about 250bf of lumber in it. If it is really dry and perhaps dirty log I could see the blade getting dull. Especially if you have no debarker on the mill. Even then it sounds on the low side.  My guess is that professionally sharpened blades would be slightly better, but new ones would be the best. 
If you want to make sure the mill is up to snuff sign up for the WM service route.  After the technician is through with your mill it will be as good as new - except for the paint.  :D
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

backwoods sawyer

Start with a new box of saws and a pair of guides, that will let you see what the mill should be running like, then you can work on sharpening them as you use them.
Keep the old saws that you sharpen yourself for those logs that have the blue stains (metal)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

AnthonyW

In parallel with another post I made. I ended up researching the same thing (only by asking a different set of questions). The average response I found was 2-3 hours. Which is the average of the average time quoted to me, which were based on the average bdft/hr running eastern white pine. Personally I would have liked to see an answer closer to 4-5 hours; which would boil down to one blade per half day of sawing.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Magicman

There is no exact answer because of the different log species and log cleanliness.

I normally change blades at lunch time and use two blades per day.  Sometimes they do not make it that long and at others, I probably pull a blade that would have gone another couple of hours.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

It is a feel thing for sure, as mentioned, logs vary as do the condition of the logs. two a day is a good number for me as well.  500 bdft of beams is a little different than 500bdft of 1"  As backwoods mentioned, check the guides and alignment, this can often wear a blade sooner than you would like.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ely

these guys will give you great advice... something I would say check on is go out to the outside of the cantilever head and pickup on it a bit see if you have very much play in the machine, my dad could not make his cut straight this week and found this to be the prob.

as far as how much it will cut varies with wood or the amount of dirt on it. I sawed a butt cut off a power pole the other day and got three cuts to the sharpening before I had to resharp. once I got it down to size it cut well for me.

m wood

welcome to the forum aatkins.  I am not the one to give advice on YOUR blades in YOUR log species as I  have been using used blades on Spruce all year.  BUUUT, I'd love to hear more about how you scored a great saw for such a great handi-man deal.  Got any befor and after pics?
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

barbender

Quote from: ely on June 10, 2014, 06:00:12 PM
these guys will give you great advice... something I would say check on is go out to the outside of the cantilever head and pickup on it a bit see if you have very much play in the machine, my dad could not make his cut straight this week and found this to be the prob.
I can lift up the end of the head on my LT40 too, and that has never had any bearing on how it cuts- the blade pulls the head down when cutting. Aatkins- my board footage varies a lot depending on species, dirt, how fresh the logs are. I have sawn white oak and green ash that sat too long and got dried out, I was lucky to get 200 bf on a blade, where clean softwoods with no knots I might get 600-700. Typically I would say around 400 bf.
Too many irons in the fire

woodmills1

buy some blades
learn how to set up and use the sharpener and setter
1500 bucks......... really??
my 93 HD 40 was a dream
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Delawhere Jack

Andy, welcome to the FF.

Getting that mill with what you've spent is a steal! Hopefully you have somewhere to keep it fully covered. If not, get yourself a good quality motorcycle cover to cover the sawhead, look for one made for a "full dresser" motorcycle.

Band sharpness life varies greatly as others have already noted. Clean tulip poplar logs you might use two bands milling all day, dirty logs you might go through 4-5 in a day.

Keep in mind that a dull band still feels sharp to the touch. A good test is to drag your thumbnail across the tooth a questionable band. If it's still sharp enough for milling it should dig into your nail.

Setting the teeth is just as important as sharpening. Search on this forum and you'll find plenty of info about setting.

JC

isawlogs

Get some new blades, try them out before doing anything else. Can you take pics of the guides?

As per how many blades, you will use more blades then what MM as he has a debarker on his mill and your mill being a 92 did not come with one, they where put as an option in 94'. ( one could of got them retro fitted as they did offer them ) You can easily go through 3 to 4 blades per day sawing in pine that is clean. If you encounter any foreign mater on\in the bark.. well you will be using more, nature of the beast.

I think you did a great score finding and buying that mill for that kind of money.  :) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

woodmills1

try the blades per metal index..there ya go..........thanks for the sharpener
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

aatkins

Thanks for all of the great advice.  Sounds like using a blade per large log is fairly normal if cutting 1 in. boards.  So I am not going crazy.   8)
Go in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have always imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Chuck White

I average around 800 board feet per blade, sawing Pine and Hemlock!

You should also be aware that if the mill had a debarker there will be a lot more production per blade!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

I have broken a few brand new blades, I thought they were getting a bit dull but I thought "darn it some of those guys on the forum get 800 bf I ain't stoppin' til I get there!" Then Kapow! at about 600 bf, dull is dull, if it isn't cutting good put a new one on ::) I do have a debarker on my mill, it's the older one that only has the 1/2 hp motor so it doesn't cut as deep as the newer ones, but it definitely helps. I still don't seem to get the bf that most folks on here do in similar sawing.
Too many irons in the fire

coastlogger

I probably avg 300 bf per sharpening. Theyre not really all that dull but I love a sharp blade. Once I get a log all squared up ie all the bark off I like to get a fresh band on to slice up the boards..not always but if its a big log more often than not.Get real straight board that way.
One band per log not so bad,better than running band too long and making waves.
clgr

backwoods sawyer

I have been consitantly running the WM .055 1 1/2" New out of the box in clean logs (with debarker) I have been getting 1,500 bft per saw and 1,000 bft out of my own resharp saws. Was having some issues with the Cooks sharpener matching profile with a cbn style wheel so I ordered 2 boxes of the Cooks general purpose .050 1 1/2" saws (their recomendation for a 42 hp mill)along with the cam to match and some fresh stones. Looking forward to seeing how these saws perform and hold up.
I bought one box of .045 saws years ago used them resharpened them hung them on the shelf never have found a use for the thinner saws.
Make sure you are running the right saw for the mill.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!