iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar 5105 questions

Started by STIHLFULLSKIP, January 25, 2014, 07:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STIHLFULLSKIP

hi all,
what is the general opinion of this saw. good/bad, seems like a decent saw to me. how many of you own one?  what p/c does this saw have on it/ who makes it?

sawguy21

It is a good saw, big improvement over the 5100 it replaces. It is made in Germany, parent company is Makita.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

It is a little heavy, and the weight distribution makes it clumcy to handle, for a 50cc saw.

...and watch out for cat mufflers!
Information collector.

7sleeper

Excellent saw! Of course not top of the line with electronic carb but hardly behind them! Actually I have never seen the comparrison of the unmodified 5105, 550xp and 261mt. If your cutting wood they belong to the best out there!
But generally we are speaking of saws on a extremely high standard!

jocco

Very good well made probably better with 325 chain but does run 3/8
You may check out but you will never leave

STIHLFULLSKIP

it does not seem heavy to me. a 7910 seems a little heavy. all i need it for is firewood, dealer has them on sale for 449.00, w/ two extra chains and dolmar 2 cycle and bar oil. i do not care about AT or M-tronic, i am pretty good with a screwdriver. this saw will only cut a couple cord of firewood a year. just enough to heat the shop in the winter, and campfires for the kids in the summer.  Does anyone know what brand of jug/p-c is on these saws?

chainsawr

Awesome chainsaw in all respects.

Just make 100% sure you do not get an older model with the epoxy capped carburetor and nylon air filter.  Just pop the top cover off and look inside before you make the purchase.  Most of these were 2012 model year.
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

Andyshine77

Nice saws for the money, with several durability improvements over the 5100. When I did some testing the 5100 liked 3/8 chain better than .325 I've yet to see nylon air filter on a 5100, was it an option?   
Andre.

STIHLFULLSKIP

i went ahead and purchased this saw today. it has the epoxied carb and the nylon filter. they are going to put a fully adj. carb on it, said dolmar will cover it. is the nylon filter bad? i ordered a non-cat muffler as well for it. picked the saw up for 450.00, and they threw in two extra chains. can anyone tell me what brand, or who manufactures the p/c on this saw?

AdkStihl

I'm guessing one of the following manufacturers....

MAHLE
Gilardoni
Kolbenschmidt
J.Miller Photography

Andyshine77

The cylinders are made by MAHLE.

STIHLFULLSKIP Where are you located? I've seen dozens of 5100/5105's and have yet to see any with a nylon screen filter, it is however an option in the parts list. The early 420's had nylon filters, the new 421's have a redesigned filter that is flocked. The nylon filters are useless in most environments IMHO, especially dry conditions.   

This is the filter you want. Part #181 173 190. 

Andre.

STIHLFULLSKIP

Traverse City area, thanks for the info. I will get that filter ordered as well.

chainsawr

Check this out: http://store.chainsawr.com/search?q=5105+nylon

All the older 5100s we sold had a felt filter, first couple years of 5105 had a felt filter, then for 1 year in 2012 they came through with the black framed nylon air filter, only the saws withe epoxy capped carbs happened to have the nylon filter.  Then when they switched to the newer DD style carb, they also went back to the felt air filters. 

The black framed nylon filters let fine sawdust through into the carb like it's not even there.  Hardwood + Slightly dull chain =  :'(

Make sure that carb gets switched.  Not only are you able to set the newest type of carb correctly, but they also perform better.

Then to add more complication to the air filters some have an air tube that connects down to the pump side plate cover on the carb, and some don't.  If you take an air filter that has a solid plastic nub instead of an air tube and put it onto one of the carbs that is supposed to connect via tube the saw won't run right since the diaphragm can't move.
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

SawTroll

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 27, 2014, 06:19:19 PM
Nice saws for the money, with several durability improvements over the 5100. When I did some testing the 5100 liked 3/8 chain better than .325 I've yet to see nylon air filter on a 5100, was it an option?

Yes, it always was.

Sorry to say so, but all the differences I have read about trough the years about the 5100 and the 5105 - it basically cooks down to the 5105 running at lower rpm, being even heavier - and some have epoxied carb screws to add insult to injury.

This basically means that the 5105 isn't what the 5100S was meant to be - but if you still like it is up to you (I wouldn't want one).
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on January 27, 2014, 08:31:14 PM
i went ahead and purchased this saw today. it has the epoxied carb and the nylon filter. they are going to put a fully adj. carb on it, said dolmar will cover it. is the nylon filter bad? i ordered a non-cat muffler as well for it. picked the saw up for 450.00, and they threw in two extra chains. can anyone tell me what brand, or who manufactures the p/c on this saw?

If that nylon filter is a black bodied one, it is the rather course (80 Micron) winter filter - by all means don't run the saw in dusty conditions with that filter!
Information collector.

paduroiul

Does anyone know if you could fit an easy start system on a 5105?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

By "easy start" system, do you mean the one Stihl has on some of their models?

Is your Dolmar 5105 hard to start?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

7sleeper

Quote from: paduroiul on May 29, 2015, 01:26:18 AM
Does anyone know if you could fit an easy start system on a 5105?
The 5105 comes standard with easy start. Only the model 5105CX is specialy made without.

paduroiul

As far as I know it doesnt have easy start like Husqvarna or Stihl, I will check again in the Users manual, but yes I have to pull really hard for it to start

Hilltop366

At a few chords a year it should last a loooong time.

Hard to complain about the price, in 1989 the "52cc saw" 115 was more than that in Canada!

Thank You Sponsors!