iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grits

Started by petefrom bearswamp, February 16, 2014, 10:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

OK you southern boys, teach me how to eat grits.
I am still in Fla this am went for breakfast and tried grits.
I used salt and pepper after tasting them without anything but a little butter.
Are they supposed to taste like whatever you put on 'em?
If so lets have your favorite way to eat 'em.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

I myself would not expect much from a big restaurant when it comes to them things. I would be hunting up DanG,IF I was going to try them things.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Two eggs over easy.  Add to grits.  Mash it all up together with some butter.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 16, 2014, 12:03:02 PM
Two eggs over easy.  Add to grits.  Mash it all up together with some butter.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

You can also add Sausage, Bacon or Liver Mush and mix them up. Sometimes I'll add Grape Jelly to the mix.

House Autry has a new line of Grits out. Check them out.

http://www.house-autry.com/gritsproducts.php

oh yeh......Pete......Grits is spelled with a capital "G". It just shows respect.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

blackfoot griz

Liver Mush?
Really?
I could see doctoring up Grits with everything else you listed...but Liver Mush?

What is it?

caveman

I just made a pot of Grits (respect) for lunch.  Salt, pepper, and cheese are all that I add usually.  Cook them slow and stir them with a fork to prevent lumps.  A fellow told me one time to put a spoonful of brown sugar in the middle of a serving of Grits and let it melt--I tried it and it was ok/different.  You can keep your liver mush--it does not sound any better than a sac lunch to me.
Caveman
Caveman

beenthere

"livermush" sounds like "liver pate' " to me.   ::)

This link also includes braunschweiger .....  I like liver this way, so would say it would help the grits go down.
I always carried a couple sandwiches with me when deer hunting, made with 1/4" slices of braunschweiger (or liverwurst).  Makes me hungry for some now.   ;)

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/02/03/Cooks_Corner_Livermush/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

luvmexfood

Probably 45 years ago my grandfather was in the egg business. We would get about 5 bushels aday. We gave the hens grit (ground oyster shells) to keep the eggs from becoming mushy. Best term I ever heard for them. Papaw could always tell when a hen was not producing. Out came the butcher knife and off with the head. Had plenty of chicken

Kids only got dark meat and the adults the white meat. Guess this is why to this day I love dark meat chicken. Don't remember exactly how but their would be some eggs not fully developed and when they were cooked he loved them.

He had an old van and we had a route where we would peddle eggs. I was about 4 at the time and many of the houses were in an old coal camp. Money might have been tight for some of those people but they always had candy for me on egg day.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Magicman

I ain't eating liver nothing with my Grits.   :-\

During some "hard times" I have had Grits as the meal, but thankfully now mine are with eggs or hot tamales.  True however, they generally get mixed with whatever I am eating.  I do like to fill a plate with Grits and drop a couple of fried eggs right in the middle.  Pat frowns when I do this because she does not mix anything.   ;D

The proper ingredients for a perfect meal.  :)  We prefer yellow Grits, but you always get white Grits in restaurants.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

POSTON,I must remember that about grits,no respect.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

salt, pepper, butter, sausage or bacon, over easy eggs and grits! that's fine breakfast! we eat them a lot around here!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Dave Shepard

grits. I'll have to remember to get the spelling right.

I ate at a Cracker Barrel a couple of months ago and they had cheese grits. I figured I'd give them a try, just to see if maybe I had changed my opinion of them. Nope. Still don't like them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I would never judge Grits with Cracker Barrel grits.  They are generally lumpy and whatever else.

I have never tried cheese grits.  ???  Probably won't.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When we buy sure bought Sausage or Liver Mush, we buy Neese's Brand.
Click on their Facebook Page.

https://www.facebook.com/NeesesLiverPudding

They're out of North Carolina. Liver Mush is really good not only mixed in Grits or Eggs but as a Sandwich also. Try to fry it until it gets crispy......you'll love it.

Like Magic said....DO NOT judge Grits the way restaurant chains prepare them. The best Grits are fixed by a good country girl that learned from her mom and grand-maw.

thecfarm

gfadvm

Put yer leftover grits in the fridge overnight, slice some 1/2' thick slices the next morning, fry with butter, serve covered with maple syrup for breakfast.

"Liver Mush" - I started gagging when I read this!

thecfarm

gfadvm,I understand the gag part too. The title got me too.

coxy

learner

I could go on and on about how many ways you can have grits.  Sometimes a bit of garlic is nice and at other times a little jalepeno oil or diced jalepenos in them is good to get you going in the morning.  Cheese grits are good if you don't use too much cheese.  Magicmans pic is the tried and true way of having a Great breakfast!
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

"G"

Shotgun

I have a question about grits.  Are the grits the carrier, or the active ingredient?  And please explain your answer.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

thecfarm

"g"

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on February 17, 2014, 08:31:59 PM

"g"
x2

coxy

the big (g) must mean they are grosser then gross 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Texas Ranger

Them yankee's have never really appreciated the south.  You would think that with this winter, they would be looking to the south as some sort of haven from snow.  Oh well, y'all keep  your snow, we will take the grits, that way we have a warm belly, and you have, well, what ever.  8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!