iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you eat your grits?

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 19, 2016, 06:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

My wife got up and fixed us breakfast today and I noticed as we ate and got to thinking about different ways people eat their grits. I just put a pat of butter on the plate, covered it with grits till melted then stirred and ate mine. Becky added butter to hers then crumbled her bacon up into small pieces and mixed with her grits. I have seen people mix their grits with over easy eggs and stir everything up and eat them that way. Others mix hard scrambled eggs with their grits. Becky's aunt was raised in Alabama and should know better but she has spent so much time up in Northern Ohio she now adds sugar to hers - definitely not a traditional southern way to eat grits. When we have cheese grits with a fish fry I don't add anything else. Occasionally my wife will take cold grits, slice them into squares, dip in eggs then flour and fry them.

How do you eat your grits?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

sometimes i put a little molasses on them sometimes just a little butter and black pepper and i have chopped up a piece of country ham in em while they were cooking ;D
i just eat about anyway they are fixed :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jeff

Does anyone ever just boil up a bunch, dump em in a bowl, and go eat them without adulteration?  ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

I  wonder how many people make death bed confessions that they lied about liking grits.....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

The great debate,Why do you have to mix it with something good to make them taste good?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JohnW

I usually eat grits with fried eggs or soft boiled eggs.  Either way, I add the butter to the grits while they're cooking.  With fried eggs, I put the grits and eggs side by side, and with boiled eggs, I add the eggs to a bowl of grits.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: thecfarm on December 19, 2016, 07:12:26 PM
The great debate,Why do you have to mix it with something good to make them taste good?

I think the results will show they are good with anything. Adding something to them is like icing a cake, adding ice cream to a slice of pie, or adding your favorite spice, sauce or dressing to you other favorite dishes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

OK, I went to my Gallery and found that I like my Grits:

With hot tamales

With eggs, bacon and biscuits.

With sausage and biscuits

With sausage, eggs, and toast

With friends

With more hot tamales

With shrimp

With Ray Crane, thecfarm   LINK  (Reply #64 shows the package being opened.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

8) mm you sure eat good  8)  and you show that grits go with anything for any meal ;D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

caveman

I let them congeal just a bit and eat them from the edges in with a fork. 
Caveman

DanG

Quote from: Jeff on December 19, 2016, 07:01:21 PM
Does anyone ever just boil up a bunch, dump em in a bowl, and go eat them without adulteration?  ;D

About as often as you would eat mashed potatoes with no salt, butter or gravy.   ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

How right you are DanG.  :)
Magicman,yes,the box that the grits came in was opened. But the box of grits remains my lifetime supply of grits.   ;D  In fact,I tried to find that same box of grits in my cupboard. No luck. Maybe it vaporized after it realized it should not be this far North.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Quote from: DanG on December 20, 2016, 12:06:10 AM
Quote from: Jeff on December 19, 2016, 07:01:21 PM

About as often as you would eat mashed potatoes with no salt, butter or gravy.   ;)

I defy you to find one topic on the forum started to praise mashed potatoes or asking "How do ya'll eat your mashed potatoes?"
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

hopm

My grandpa ate a bowl of grits for breakfast everyday without exception. I'm not everyday but probably 90% of my days start with a big bowl of grits thin and runny swimming in loads of butter and sugar.  8)

Raider Bill

I prefer mine inside the egg before cooking.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

21incher

You feed them to your pig and turn them into bacon. ;D ;D ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

dnalley

I eat 'em like they were trying to get away.

WLC

Usually eat 'em  with lots of butter and Tony"s Cajun seasoning.  Also cheese grits or cheese grits and shrimp.  Not really a bad way to eat grits.  Momma used to make what we called cold fried grits.  Take the leftover grits from breakfast, or make a batch just for this, and spread them out in a flat pan about half an inch thick.  Let them set up then cut into squares and fry them in bacon grease.  Yummy.  Haven't had that in a long time.  May have to make some this next week.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

sawguy21

We have Sriracha, wonder if that would make them edible ;D.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

WLC,

You did not learn to eat grits like that in Alaska. Fess up - where did you develop so much culture.

My wife has a niece there in Wasilla who spent several years in Alabama. May she has been giving cooking classes.
Howard Green

WLC

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 24, 2016, 06:56:12 PM
WLC,

You did not learn to eat grits like that in Alaska. Fess up - where did you develop so much culture.

My wife has a niece there in Wasilla who spent several years in Alabama. May she has been giving cooking classes.

Good ole southern boy here, just transplanted to the frozen north about 11 years ago.  Called Georgia home the first 40 years of my life and learnt all my bad habits there. :D

It's be funny if I knew your niece, We actually live just outside of Wasilla.

ETA: We actually get grits, REAL grits, sent up here from my mom and dad.  There is a water turned grist mill near where I grew up that has been in continuous operation since 1876.  They make good grits on those old grind stones.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Thank You Sponsors!