iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pallets

Started by lowpolyjoe, May 11, 2016, 09:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

I'm not a huge fan of the pallet projects I see online, but my new table saw came on a pallet and I figured I shouldn't let it go to waste so I pulled it apart yesterday.

I looked up info on pallet labeling and my understanding is that this label means the wood was heat treated and is safe to use - no chemicals.  Is that correct?

I'd like to make a few bird houses out of the wood.  I edge glued the strips in pairs and hit them with the hand plane.  The boards seem very wet.  Is there any chance they're pressure treated?  I don't want to kill my birds.    Any guesses at species? And then what sort of longevity they'll get out in the elements?

I was trying to make sure I picked all the metal out of the boards before I started work on them and I noticed there were little loops and strands of what looked like copper in some of the nail holes.  Is that common?  Is that a remnant of the nail gun sleeve packaging or something?    Saw at least 4 or 5 of these:

dustyhat

Dont know anything about your woods treatment, but the little copper wire in the nail holes is just what you thought it was . i dont think your wood will hurt the birds. but i have been  wrong before.

Ianab

TW-BAPHIQ is the Taiwan Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine

TC066 is the mark of SIDA ENTERPRISE CO., LTD. that supplied the wood.

HT means the wood has only been heat treated to kill any bugs.

http://www.baphiq.gov.tw/UserFiles/file/Wood%20Packing%20Materials/1001024%281%29.pdf

Wood has a Pine look to it? Should be able to confirm that by the smell when you are planing it. Pine? Growth rings an inch apart? Could be New Zealand Radiata pine?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lowpolyjoe

Great info!  Thanks guys :)

Ianab - I always think everything is pine :D   So I sort of stopped guessing.  My nose is pretty stuffed up with allergy season in full swing, but I do think I got a whiff of pine while working with it. 

Thank You Sponsors!