iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loader Geometry

Started by stavebuyer, December 13, 2019, 01:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

I was sniffing around at the local New Holland dealer this morning. I had my eye on a low hour(400) 2008 T1520. Parked in the front row was a brand new Boomer 33 which is basically the new version(which I wanted to avoid..regen/electronics/fiberglass/plastic fuel tank underneath) of the T1520. The new tractor also had the new style 140 loader. I should have taken a picture but had no interest so I didn't. But I couldn't help but notice it seemed like the half circle loader arms extended the bucket an extreme distance forward from the front tires. They dealer claimed it was spec'd to lift more than the older version that only extends slightly past the front tires. I know just using the bucket forks on my old style 140: extending the load forward makes a huge difference on maneuverability and capacity. These compacts can't handle much to start with. Hanging the load out a even further makes no sense at all to me. What am I missing?

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: stavebuyer on December 13, 2019, 01:38:17 PMWhat am I missing?

That little filter that blocks all doubt about the knowledge of salesmen.;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gspren

Keeping the load close allows more weight capacity but less lift height and reach to dump in a truck while extended arms have higher and longer reach but at less capacity, that's if every thing else is equal.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

I had one of those NH with the "square" arms. Cracked one of the arms digging rocks. Had it welded,all was fine. Bought another NH with the half circle arms,have not broke one yet. Yet is the key word. Not much digging rocks,this time of year,but May is not that far off. ;D  I think the half round is better. Well for digging rocks and not breaking it. By the way,most salemans don't dig out rocks with a tractor either. ;)  They just watch the videos on thier phones on what a tractor can do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stavebuyer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 13, 2019, 09:53:17 PM
I had one of those NH with the "square" arms. Cracked one of the arms digging rocks. Had it welded,all was fine. Bought another NH with the half circle arms,have not broke one yet. Yet is the key word. Not much digging rocks,this time of year,but May is not that far off. ;D  I think the half round is better. Well for digging rocks and not breaking it. By the way,most salemans don't dig out rocks with a tractor either. ;)  They just watch the videos on thier phones on what a tractor can do.
The newer loader is rated to lift more. Supposedly due to placement and angle of the lift cylinders. I can get that part and the arch vs angle. Since this is a compact; part of its charm its using it in tight places. More likely to load a pickup or small dump trailer. 
@thecfarm I know you use your tractors in the woods. Is the arch style not unhandy in tight quarters? I did buy the tractor but having them add a rear hydraulic remote that had to be ordered so I don't have it home yet. I was pretty sure I didn't want the new style loader but your comment gives me pause.

thecfarm

Did not notice any difference in tight quarters. But anything that sticks out in front about 4 feet is a bother getting around in the woods. :( BUT not having a loader in the woods would be more of a bother.   ;D
I think that tractor is around 30hp? That will be much easier to get around in the woods than my 40hp. Wife has a TC30? Metal hood,fuel tank right in front of steering wheel,I think the last year like that. I like the fuel tank in front of the steering wheel. I can plug the tractor in and throw a blanket over the hood and keep the fuel warm. I would get the rear tires loaded or weights or something. I have the big tractor loaded and even the small one is too. We don't really "work" the small one,just use it to mow and blow snow with it.
I missed the 400 hours. :o  :o  :o  Must of been owned by someone with a 250 foot square lot.  :D I put some hours on mine tractor. I am on that thing almost every day,even when I am working. 
I doubt you will notice the difference in that loader. You will like it. I use my tractor hard and I do mean hard. As I say,I did not buy it to look at it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I was jealous of Ray's tractor when we visited with him and Brenda.  I even kinda liked his rocks.....well kinda 'cause I won't have to dig them.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stavebuyer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 14, 2019, 05:50:10 AM
Did not notice any difference in tight quarters. But anything that sticks out in front about 4 feet is a bother getting around in the woods. :( BUT not having a loader in the woods would be more of a bother.   ;D
I think that tractor is around 30hp? That will be much easier to get around in the woods than my 40hp. Wife has a TC30? Metal hood,fuel tank right in front of steering wheel,I think the last year like that. I like the fuel tank in front of the steering wheel. I can plug the tractor in and throw a blanket over the hood and keep the fuel warm. I would get the rear tires loaded or weights or something. I have the big tractor loaded and even the small one is too. We don't really "work" the small one,just use it to mow and blow snow with it.
I missed the 400 hours. :o  :o  :o  Must of been owned by someone with a 250 foot square lot.  :D I put some hours on mine tractor. I am on that thing almost every day,even when I am working.
I doubt you will notice the difference in that loader. You will like it. I use my tractor hard and I do mean hard. As I say,I did not buy it to look at it.
The T1520 is 35HP/29PTO. Just a tad larger and newer than the TC30 but very similar. My older series 1520 is basically the same tractor but with a lot less HP(its only rated 22 engine/18 pto). Its amazing the amount of dirt work and pulling it will do. When I built my house I had a lot of dirt to move and at the time had a 450C dozer with a 6 way and the Cat 289D skid steer. The little tractor with a box blade and rippers would dig into hard pan clay that would turn the dozer and skid steer sideways. Might only take small bites but the little tractors are the Jack Russel Terriers of the equipment world lol. 

Larry

Better than 20 years ago I bought a 1720 cheap with 300 hours at auction.  My intention was to flip it and pocket a couple thousand.  Its still here with almost 4,000 hours and no problems other than wear items. 

It didn't have a loader so I went to the local New Holland dealer.  He talked me into a Westendorf loader as he thought it was stronger and a better value.  I can pull the back end off the ground and I have 120 pounds of wheel weights along with calcium in the tires.  The loader settles a little now, so I suspect the cylinders need some attention.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!