iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone use a drone?

Started by Okefenokee_D, December 04, 2019, 06:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: beav on December 06, 2019, 08:57:05 PM
Are you going to shoot down all the airplanes and helicopters "trespassing" in the federal airspace above your place?
Well, if they hover at 50', I think yeah, I just might. But do we really want to go there?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

charles mann

Quote from: beav on December 06, 2019, 08:57:05 PM
Are you going to shoot down all the airplanes and helicopters "trespassing" in the federal airspace above your place?
If its a friend or my business partner coming to land at my house in a heli, and is just hovering and looks to be taking pictures, ill approach, make visual contact with the meat servo and give him a visual warning. A drone is NOT a real heli or airplane. If its hovering and turning and i think its casing the place, YES, ill shoot it down. Its no different than fishing for it and bringing it down. 
There is plenty of open grain fields around me, if its an emergency, they wouldnt sit there and hover, they would land. I have no issues with them landing and saying they have a mech failure. If i cant get it going, ill be glad to give them a 10 mile ride to the local airport for parts and or consumables and somewhere to grab some chow. 
Emergencies in a real aircraft take precedence, not some twerp with a radio controlled toy. My property isnt listed on a sectional as an airport, not even a pvt airport, so there is NO reason for a remote controlled toy to be trespassing. 
Plus the regs give a minimum alt for aircraft to be at, stuck wings is 500' in rural and 1000' in residential or populated areas. Rotorwing is at any alt that allows for safe landing in the event of eng failure and may land anywhere as to not cause damage or harm to persons, property or buildings. 
Again, BIG dif between actual aircraft and a toy. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

beav

Even a SAR squad drone on a search and rescue mission?

Traci

I agree that pics have been taken for a very long time. I remember seeing my grandparents and parents with them but they were taken from planes that don't go near as low as drones do. I was born in 1974 and though that isn't too long ago, very much has changed since then in all aspects of technology and of people in how they think, feel and react. It is, from what I understand, against the law to shoot one down though. I have a friend who has a drone and takes great pics and videos and has made a business for himself but he is also given permission. I think drones would be a wonderful tool for personal use or business, but be respectful of other peoples privacy if you do get one.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
Robert Brault

doc henderson

Fresh out of the military and recently married, my dad was an aerial photographer in the early 60s.  Dr. Pepper tasted so good back then, and i could walk across the dirt road by myself to buy it with a dime at age 3.  i got my first spanking by my mom and it was the tiniest tap with a fly swatter.  i laughed and she got better at it!  the pics my dad was taking were blown up into big B&W photos that they overlapped and glued together, and this was how maps were made.  they flew in a straight line on a grid and snapped a pic every 7 seconds. how things have changed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beav

Traci you are right. It is illegal to shoot them down and the operators need to be respectful of others.
Google earth and Google street would give me a better image of your place than any prosumer drone would.

Traci

Oh no, Google earth gets a good shot but def not near as good as the up close drone did. Could see my front door even with a covered porch. There is nothing but trees for google street view. Total invasion of privacy.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
Robert Brault

Ianab

Quote from: Traci on December 07, 2019, 12:55:12 AMTotal invasion of privacy.

"Expectation of privacy " is a legal thing. 

If someone can see you from the street, then you can't claim that as "private". 

If you are sunning yourself in the back yard with a tall fence, then you can reasonably expect that to be "private". If some plane comes over with a camera at 1,000 ft, you can't really do much about that. But if some random drone comes over at 50 ft and hovers there taking video? That's a whole different thing. 

I'd go with "I was just doing some skeet shooting, and it was an unfortunate accident."
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Papa1stuff

I sold a house a year ago and they used a drone to take some very good pictures of the house ,I believe it helped to sell the house in less than a month!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Chuck White

My brother just sold his house and property a few weeks ago, and the realtor used a drone to take pics of everything, including the 100+ acres of woodland (hunting area) and the house and yard!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

Drones can be very useful, I don't doubt that.  They can also be used for nefarious ends.  As with any tool responsible operation is key.  Even law enforcement has strict limits on drone use for surveillance of criminal activity. 

The one I caught had no legitimate purpose doing what it was doing. I suspect that's why I never heard from the owner.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

we got a drone after the sawing forum @customsawyer place (my son and i share).  we watch real time video as we fly, so I guess you could take you time with your shot and see if they turn and run.  In Ks you are able to protect your family and your property.  If you feel they are poss. planning to steal property and or do harm to your family (many robberies go bad and people get hurt),  I think you could take out the drone.  You may have to go to court, but if you sincerely felt threatened with an in your face drone, I think you would do well.  if I knew the owner, I would show up at there house and have a talk with them.  just like using a weapon to defend your life and liberty, it comes with responsibility.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

whatwas

I "had" a drone several years ago , it was great around the property. I had to fish it out of the trees a few times but the no harm done. When I say "had" it was last seen heading east over the trees and off to where ever drones go to when they (old technology) get out of range. I never told my wife and after a year or so she quit asking "why don't you use that drone thing anymore" I still have the remote etc just in case it ever comes home. 
life is good

Roxie

Say when

charles mann

Quote from: beav on December 06, 2019, 09:54:24 PM
Even a SAR squad drone on a search and rescue mission?
"excuse me mr drone. are here for business or pleasure?" see, you can ask and get an answer from a remote control toy. IF its actual business, then the operator will have complied with the regs, which i linked on page 1 and a person can look up the reg # and see who owns it. you are playing semantics. i believe in personal privacy and believe EVERYONE deserves privacy on their own land, regardless if its .25ac or 25,000ac. my 5 ac i live on is mine, i own a drone, but it has never left my property boundary. i keep to myself and expect to be left alone. if others don't respect that, regardless of their intentions, then so be it, that is what the legal system is for and with all the issues surrounding drone operations in areas they aren't suppose to be in, iv got better than a 80% chance of winning the legal actions. 
Temple, Tx

beav

Thank you for posting faa website pertaining to drone operation. You should read it.
How can you tell the difference between a lost drone and a SAR mission?

charles mann

Quote from: beav on December 07, 2019, 01:17:53 PM
Thank you for posting faa website pertaining to drone operation. You should read it.
How can you tell the difference between a lost drone and a SAR mission?
i did read it. you should re-read it. iv already explained HOW to tell. it lays out specific requirements, and that was only for recreational use, commercial use has more requirements and SAR would fall under commercial use, unless its a private operator out looking for mr. kitty or mrs. ruff-ruff or their lost kid. 
if a person wants access to MY property, then come ask me, depending the circumstance, i might grant it. 
Temple, Tx

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: whatwas on December 07, 2019, 08:49:45 AMWhen I say "had" it was last seen heading east over the trees and off to where ever drones go to when they (old technology) get out of range. I never told my wife and after a year or so she quit asking "why don't you use that drone thing anymore" I still have the remote etc just in case it ever comes home.
By any chance, when last seen was your drone headed in the direction of @WV Sawmiller 's place?  ;D
 Asking for a friend. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

beav

Mr. Mann: I am familiar with the drone laws and i still maintain it is illegal to shoot one down.
And please explain how I can tell if that noisy dot in the sky is on a search and rescue mission, lost, or being operated by bad characters. The drones are small and the Id #'s are tiny

Okefenokee_D

Well, mine should be here Monday. I may send it over the Okefenokee and get some shots Tuesday.

beav

Pictures or it didn't happen!
Congrats!  Keep it within line of sight and under 400'!
Register it with the faa. You can do it online for $5. Actually you are registering you.
Reading the preceding thread will suggest a few places to stay away from.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 07, 2019, 02:24:42 PM
Quote from: whatwas on December 07, 2019, 08:49:45 AMWhen I say "had" it was last seen heading east over the trees and off to where ever drones go to when they (old technology) get out of range. I never told my wife and after a year or so she quit asking "why don't you use that drone thing anymore" I still have the remote etc just in case it ever comes home.
By any chance, when last seen was your drone headed in the direction of @WV Sawmiller 's place?  ;D
Asking for a friend. :D
Hardest critter I ever tried to clean and cook.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Logger RK

My brother inlaw happen to be over at my place when my nephew was flying his drone not far from us. He asked if you can shot them down. I said if your good enough of a shot you can. He didnt ask if it was legal.  ;D

Magicman

Google the legality of shooting down a drone.  Here is one:  Shooting down a drone
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I have no knowledge how or why the deceased drone in question suddenly appeared on my skinning rack. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!