iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catfish anyone???

Started by gator gar, June 12, 2011, 12:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Different species (dont ask, I dont know) and very different taste.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

This is the one I'm talking about

http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/64172.html

It maybe me but I never could tell the difference in taste compared to a farm raised cat of the same size.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DanG

There are many, many species of catfish, and the bullhead is one of them.  Those appear to be blue cats that G-Gar is catching.  They can grow up to near 100 pounds.  They are very similar to the channel cats that are raised commecially.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

Growing up bullheads were little creek catfish, small and not particularly thought of as food.  They would. however, punch your ticket if you were not real careful. the creek breed we had,  the spines were needles.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LOGDOG

Quote from: Coon on June 17, 2011, 12:28:07 PM
LOGDOG, the key for the best tasting walleye is to catch them in the coldest water you can find.  Even around here during the summer in the warmer weather and shallower lakes the walleye get kinda soft and the meat isn't as white as in the deeper colder waters.  Wished we had cats around here as I'd love to try them. 

Coon,

There are big, big catfish up in the Winnipeg river system in Manitoba. That's the only place anywhere near you that comes to mind. I grew up fishing in Ontario. We spent a lot of time on the water just after ice out at the fishing opener usually end of May and then late in the season, end of September. The walleyes definitely taste better those times of the year. The Jumbo Yellow Perch were my favorite up there. I even like Pike as long as the Y-bones are filleted out and the water temps are cold when they're caught. Caught in winter through the ice they were great. Still, these catfish are pretty darn good.

This thread made me want to go down to the bayou and catch some cats myself. Maybe in the morning. It's over a 100 degrees right now. Too hot for fishing.

DanG

Just FYI, a new world record blue catfish was caught yesterday in Kerr Lake, Va.   143 pounds! :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LOGDOG

Wow, that's a hoss DanG!

Mooseherder

Catfish, in the South considered da udder White Meat. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!