iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boat plans?

Started by Pete J, December 14, 2004, 06:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

Anybody got any wood boat plans?

My father in law has been on a tear since he retired. He took up building wood boats for a hobby and he's now cranking out 1 or 2 each year. He's getting antsy to start another one and he wants to try yet another design. I figured I'd ask around for him.

sprucebunny

Get him a copy of "Wooden Boat" magazine if he hasn't got it already. Theres another mag called "Boatbuilder" too.
Hope this helps ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tom

DanG

Where's the pics of these boats he's been spitting out? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Logrite, do some searches on the internet for boat plans. Search for Power Boat Plans, or Sailboat Plans, or Skif Plans, or Dingy Plans.  You can also go to Google and click on IMAGE, then do your search and you will get pictures of the boats along with the company's website. Have Fun!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beav

Brrrrrr..... Single digits outside this morning.....It's makin ice out there...
Hey, have him look at iceboats. They are more fun than people should have. They goof on the laws of physics.(15 mph wind,60 mph hull speed,you tell me)    Easy to build,too. The best iceboat to build is the DN. it is a one design class,so it will always be worth something.
   Or have him look into cold-molding. Living in the east with a bandmill gives you access to a raft of the best materials on earth. Google Gougeon    
Bros. for more on the above topics.  :o

beav

oh yeah, I have DN plans.

GF

Try this website http://www.glen-l.com/, I ordered plans from them to build a small hydroplane years ago.

Think it used to be Glen L Marine Designs at one time.

OneWithWood

google Bruce Designs

A buddy and I built one of his sailboats many years ago.  It was supposed to be a $300 3 week project.  We turned it into a $3000 3 year project but it sure was a beauty!
That should slow him down some :P
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Pete J

You just gotta love this place. You people are amazing!

The http://www.glen-l.com/ site was along the lines of what I was looking for. I'm poking around the other ones now.

As far as pictures? Well, let's just say that my digital camera went in the trash last weekend, and christmas is coming, and I've been a good boy, etc......

The one boat that I never did get a picture of was his 21ft steamboat. He hand built the steam engine and boiler from some old 1918 plans. He got all the metal from the scrap yard and machined all the parts. He even made a steam whistle out of brass. He sold it to a guy in florida who re-named it the river queen. He gives tours up and down a local river there.

My friend Dan built a nice DN ice boat last year. I helped him build the sail and rigging. I never saw him run it but he says on smooth ice it's almost like flying. I hope to try it out this year.

You folks are the BEST!

Thank You Sponsors!