iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Sealing Up Homemade Wood Stove

Started by abrogard, August 27, 2017, 09:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abrogard

This stove was made for outside use smoking meat.  It  was designed as a smoker.

But now we're trying to use it inside for a heater.

Which means we can tolerate  no smoking leaks.  And it leaks all along the sides of the top where they don't fit down too tight on the sides, and at the flue pipe bend join where the  two diameters don't match too well.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas what I could use?  I've thought maybe some fireproof putty for the flue, if there is any such, and maybe some fireproof tape or thin string stuff to go along the sides of the top, if there's anything like that.

I've seen fireproof rope for firedoors and that's the kind of thing but it all seems too big, way too big for my stove.  I don't know if it can be cut down or unravelled..?

oh.. I was going to insert a  link to imgur pics of it but it won't accept it.

and 'add photos to the post' wouldn't work...

and attach docs doesn't work for images it seems....

so I can't.....

Ivan49

Take it outside and use as it was made for or risk burnig your house down

abrogard

where, specifically, would be the danger of that?

I build a log cabin with fireplace and that fireplace would have been a *DanG sight more dangerous than this ever would be, I'm sure.

Ivan49

If it is leaking smoke like you say sealing it up would be hard to do. Your best bet would be get some 1/4 steel and make one from scratch. Any place you have smoke coming out could also let the flames out. Just trying to be on the safe side here

abrogard

Oh the leak is not so bad. 

If I could show you a pic.  If you can imagine some 2" angle iron lying along the top of some 4mm steel, you know? the angle over the steel?  that's what we're looking at. 

a flame would have to go over and down the 2" of angle and then out.....

But blocking it is what I'm asking about anyway...

Ivan49

thecfarm

Refactory cement and caulking "might" do it. No welder to close the gaps?
I also sell a thin strip of door rope too. I think it's about a 1/8 thick by inch wide.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

abrogard

I can weld it up but I'd like to keep it as it is: the top removable.

The flue connection would be a prime candidate for 'refractory cement', whatever that is?

That's the kind of suggestion I"m looking for: products that might be in constant use everywhere for this kind of thing.

Decades ago I would have just gotten some asbestos cloth.

Lay some thin cloth over the tops of the sides and then the top goes over that: sealed.

Wrap some cloth around the flue connections: sealed.

What to do nowadays is the question I'm asking I guess.

Weekend_Sawyer

I used wood stove gasket rope and gasket cement that I bought from Amazon. It worked real good on my wood stove door.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

abrogard

Excellent.

Do you remember the product names?

To see the stove you can just google 'abrogard's blog'.  i just put some pics up then you'll see what i mean about the problem.

Weekend_Sawyer

abrogard

Yep, thanks for that.  I just found some flat rope for stoves on ebay and I've ordered some of it.  That might do the trick.

:)

Stuart Caruk

Solve the draft problem and the leaks will take care of themselves...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

jaygtree

my stove pipe for my wood furnace is 6'' and the chimney thimble is 7'' so i stuff fiberglass insulation in the gap to seal the space. cheap and works great.   jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: abrogard on August 27, 2017, 09:22:21 PM

so I can't.....

You can post pictures. It's not hard, it's just a process you have to learn.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it.

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: abrogard on August 27, 2017, 09:22:21 PM
This stove was made for outside use smoking meat.  It  was designed as a smoker.

But now we're trying to use it inside for a heater.

Which means we can tolerate  no smoking leaks.  And it leaks all along the sides of the top where they don't fit down too tight on the sides, and at the flue pipe bend join where the  two diameters don't match too well.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas what I could use?  I've thought maybe some fireproof putty for the flue, if there is any such, and maybe some fireproof tape or thin string stuff to go along the sides of the top, if there's anything like that.

I've seen fireproof rope for firedoors and that's the kind of thing but it all seems too big, way too big for my stove.  I don't know if it can be cut down or unravelled..?

so I can't.....

What about re welding all the seems?
Is this going to heat water or simply heat the air in the room?

Thank You Sponsors!