iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln interior paint?

Started by vfauto, September 07, 2017, 07:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

What is everyone using to paint the interior of a solar kiln? I tried a black roofing coating but it gets soft when heated.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

btulloh

I had the same question.  It comes down to this:  If you have a vapor barrier in your interior wall, you can use an exterior latex paint.  If you don't, you use the roof coating.  If you want to get fancy you can use an elastomeric paint.

When I was trying to sort this out I caught by the timing and the need to get the painting done.  I ended up using Blackjack Fibered Roofing and Foundation coating even though I had plenty of vapor barrier.  Asphalt based stuff.  It actually worked ok, but it does stay soft, but not as bad as the regular roof coating.  It dries pretty fast, but of course it's always going to be a little soft in the heat.  It's ok, and I guess I'm really sealed up, but it would have been much easier to use the acrylic latex.  I did use the latex on some of the misc. items on the inside.  It all got black and it all works.  With a latex of course you need to prime and you need two top coats, so there's that.  The foundation sealer went on well and adheres well.  No primer and no second coat was needed. 

That was my experience.  I hope that helps.

I'm really enjoying watching your build and like the way you framed your kiln.  Too bad you didn't go first so I could have incorporated some of your design.

Keep us posted.

BT
HM126

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I suggest flat black exterior latex. It is not too expensive and two coats will survive for at leAst five years. Plus you can rub against it without damaging clothes. For longer lasting, use an aluminum paint as the first coat.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Kbeitz

Quote from: vfauto on September 07, 2017, 07:27:08 AM
What is everyone using to paint the interior of a solar kiln? I tried a black roofing coating but it gets soft when heated.

It wont get soft if mixed with about 1/8th diesel. It will soaks right in the wood and dry.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!