iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broken trailer axle

Started by LeeB, April 04, 2024, 05:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

The front axle on my cattle trailer is broken most of the way in two. Anybody here ever had any luck welding one back together?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

any pics?  is it straight or have a bend.  can you replace the pipe.  my brother used to modify all kinds of this stuff.  why did it break, rusted, overloaded, hit a big bump?  You can add some metal to the outside.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LeeB

I loaned it to my neighbor and he brought it back yesterday. I just now noticed one of the wheels was cockeyed. Crawled underneath and saw it was about 2/3 broke in two about a foot from the leaf spring. Looks like it has been welded before on the other side. Probably best to replace it but I'm broke. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

well what size and weight range a trailer.  up to car trailer size I would be OK.  do you think they abused it, or is it quite old?  Is it a broken weld or torn, ripped, fatigued metal?  what do you use it for?  do you weld?  does your neighbor weld?  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Turning, especially sharp turns puts a tremendous stress on the tires, wheels, and axles.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I don't know when it broke or how. I suspect it may have happened when he was parking it or it could have happened when he came across the creek. It's pretty rough. I don't think it was abuse, just a rough life and age. Don't guess I know how to attach pictures from my phone. 

Magicman

As doc mentioned, it is probably arched.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

5 x 10 utility trailer I have no problem with a back 40 farm welder if it is not at max capacity on an interstate highway.  farm use.  A 32-foot gooseneck, I go to the trailer place and buy all new stuff.

Magicman

I agree, that axle is probably badly stressed and I suspect metal fatigue caused this break. 

scsmith42

I've repaired breaks like that in one of two ways.

Method 1 - machine a piece of heavy wall tubing or solid round bar so that it's a snug fit inside the old axle tube.  Drill 4 holes around 1" diameter through the old axle tube portions so that you can plug weld the new round bar / tubing into place.  Also bevel and weld up the break.

The other way is to find a piece of heavy wall pipe / tubing that is a snug fit onto the outside of the axle.  Same method of plug welding, except that you're drilling the spice tube instead of the original axle.  Also weld all the way around the end of the splice tube to the old axle portions.

The first method works best when the break is close to a spring mount.  Otherwise the second method is easier.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

Yes, I have welded more than one back up, the key is to use two pieces of heavy angle iron, typically 2" depending on the axle tube diameter.  Weld up the existing crack in the axle tube, making sure everything is back aligned, then "splint" it top and bottom with the heavy wall angle, so that it can be welded along its length along the axle tube.  Two pieces, full bead, will be stronger than the original round tube.   

It's important to get the camber right, if it has any, and to get the hubs aligned using straight edges on the hubs or brake rotors.  Worst case, forget the camber and just weld everything back to straight.     
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SawyerTed

A weld repair would be temporary in my mind.  A load of cows sitting on the side of the road with a broken axle is a nightmare I'd want to avoid.  

A replacement axle would be in the not too far off future.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

LeeB

The neighbor who borrowed the trailer actually uses it more than I do and he feels he has put plenty of wear on it he is going to replace both axles. The broken one is really in pretty bad shape. Lots of pitting and looks sure to fail again. The back one maybe not so bad.

Larry

About 50 years ago I needed a new trailer axle for a heavy boat trailer. A guy gave me a one trip trailer house axle so I thought why not. It was too wide for my trailer and I didn't have the knowledge of how to shorten it. I lived in a small town at the time with a local welding shop with a good reputation. They said no problem and cut out a foot or so and re-welded. They said the camber and alignment was pretty important for ride and good tire wear. I put lots of miles on that trailer without drama.

I would have no problem doing it myself now after watching the shop modify that axle years ago.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

That is great and what decent folks do.  or you could have a triaxle!   ffcheesy

moodnacreek

Put the break back where it belongs. Clean up with grinder and vee out crack. Weld and grind down flat.  Get an oversize piece of # 80 pipe or better and split in half long ways. Have one piece longer than the other. Weld one half on over welded spot, weld the sides not the ends and the same with the other piece. If done right it will last. [welding the ends would cause a hard shoulder that would crack and using 2 different lengths staggers the repair to eliminate another 'shoulder' that could start a new crack]

Thank You Sponsors!