iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood

Started by Good Feller, September 29, 2008, 03:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryB

From what I've seen, low volume combined with high quality wood and good customer service will yield the same money as an operation where you work yourself to death. 

Selling to folks that may only want a face cord to burn in their fireplace or older people that need it stacked close to the door are often a good source of repeat business.  My brother-in-law has customers that complain about his prices, but that hasn't stopped them from calling him for the last 5 years.  ;)

Ron Wenrich

We sell to those who want to cut and split it themselves.  It costs $700 for a triaxle load, and its about 8 cords.  They get the stuff that is a little too crooked for our processor, or a little to big.  They also get a good deal of straight stuff.  Wood that is too rough ends up going for pulpwood.

I think the biggest competition has come from pellet stoves.  The only problem is availability of pellets and the cost.  The owner's daughter has a pellet stove, and she could get the firewood for free. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RSteiner

Quote from: beenthere on October 01, 2008, 10:36:23 AM
Quote from: RSteiner on October 01, 2008, 06:22:55 AM
I purchased a SuperSplit 3 years ago.  I am more than pleased with the performance of the splitter.  The first remark people make who watch it work who have used a hydraulic spliter is, I can't believe how quiet the splitter is. 

Quiet because..??

Smaller engine for power?
Better muffler system?

Which engine do you have on your SuperSplit ??

The variety of local definitions of a measure for firewood is likely the reason several states have made some rules for commerce trade.. :) :)

Sorry been away for a few days.

I think the main reason the SuperSplit makes less noise is a combination of a smaller engine, 6 hp, and the noise of the hydraulic pump.  When the second stage of a hydraulic pump kicks in the RPM's of the engine increases and there is a little more whine from the pump.  My neighbor has a 20+ ton hydraulic splitter which I can hear from my house when it's operating, he is about 400 yards away.

The RPM's on the SuperSplit engine go down a little if the ram stalls out but the clutch on the engine keeps it from stalling.  The recover time for the fly wheels after a stall is less than 20 seconds at which point the engine has almost no load.  I think that is why to noise level is less.

Randy
Randy

snowman

I have been cutting bug kill GF all summer that could go for firewood but after crunching the numbers it was better to sell it for pulp.$40.00 a ton here, so after the haul cost I have been netting $850.00 a load. Not alot but far less work and hours than firewood that goes for $150.00 a cord here for that species. I am however saving the real dry snags to sell for firewood as they weigh next to nothing and dont pay to haul. I'm only home today to get a snowplow on my pickup soI can keep my haul road open, then back I go :). Anyway just a thought, might want to consider pulp as an alternative to firewood.

Good Feller

I'm going to dump gasoline on the entire pile of split wood that I have accumulated over the past 2-3 years.  I will then throw my wedges, splitting axe, and stupid shin gaurds from Bailey's on top and have a bonfire. 
Good Feller

beenthere

Good Feller
We like pics,, remember  ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

How does that solve your problem? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

John Mc

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 08, 2008, 05:51:47 AM
How does that solve your problem? 

A good bonfire can be very therapeutic!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Good Feller

Just jokin' about the bonfire guys...

I'm in the process of building a splitter right now.  That's the answer to the firewood dilemma.     
Good Feller

beenthere

Great...and we still want pics... ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Good Feller

Yes, I would love to show you guys pics of what I'm doing.  Not quite for sure how to post them though.  I did manage to get a couple pics of myself on my profile.  They were the only ones I could get on here without it saying the file size was too large.... 
Good Feller

aksawyer

Not everyone with a woodstove cuts their own wood.I must strongly disagree with some.....I sell wood to older couples,guys who spend their time fishing and hunting,people in the near by city,and a whole lot of B-B-Q resturants,and the list goes on.We run a small sawmill business but as of the last oil price increase,the price of firewood I cant affored to put the low quality logs through the mill.

Thank You Sponsors!