iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Acorns Dropping

Started by mpuste, August 30, 2010, 01:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpuste

I was working in the woods Saturday and noticed the northern red oaks and black oaks were dropping a lot of acorns.  This is unusually early for this part of the country (NW Illinois) so I checked several of the acorns using the float test and they passed.  Most of the acorns on the ground were also separated from their caps so they appear to be mature.  Is anybody else seeing an early acorn drop?  I had an abundant crop of acorns last year as well so this will be the second year running.

SwampDonkey

Up here our growing season started a lot earlier this spring. We also started brushing about 3 weeks earlier from the year before. So with that in mind, maybe you had an early start. The acorns on my oaks must be ready because the coons have been harvesting them all. I here them climbing and fighting outside at night. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

We've had acorns dropping since the week before the pigroast.  First week in August.  Squirrels cutting them down to begin with I think.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

Our hickories are dropping, too.
RavioliKid

mpuste

Quote from: RavioliKid on August 30, 2010, 05:30:30 PM
Our hickories are dropping, too.

I noticed hickory nuts on the ground yesterday as well.

Maybe the trees and squirrels know something we don't?

Last year my kids and I gathered about 1500 red and white oak acorns and replanted them in a couple clearings in the woods.  We cleared down to bare soil, float tested the acorns, and then planted the (good) acorns about 1/2-1 inch deep.  One of my sons also planted about 500 acorns in a test plot for a science experiment.  I was very disappointed in the results.  At best, we had germination rates from 10-50% with the 50% occuring in the science experiment plot; which was protected from squirrels.  Direct seeding of acorns really appeals to me but it's not worth the effort with such low germination rates.  Does anybody have experience or knowledge to share on how to improve the success rate of direct seeding?

Thanks.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I don't have much to share, but I had a whole burlap sac full of red oak acorns I planted in the garden in the fall. I tilled the ground all up and just broadcast the acorns and took a rake and covered them. I then went with my wheel barrel and put several loads of maple leaves over them to hold the moisture in the spring time. They sprouted like weeds. :D But, over time the mice took a good portion of them in winter from girdling. Once you get grass up through them, the mice move in. That's with any hardwood up here. I still have a few oak left growing in that spot, but they have been struggling with the mice and grass. This was 10 years ago and there are some 6 or 7 feet now. When I plant any in the woods the hares eat them up, they keep resprouting the following season, but the hares will chew them off next winter.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Hare today, gone tomorrow  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Phorester

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!