iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else seeing log prices dropping ?

Started by BargeMonkey, March 25, 2015, 09:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I'm sure you guys are getting more than we are to start with for good grade oak so maybe that is why your dropping , might have more to do with your dollar than anything else

Maine logger88

Ours are 1200 for #1 veneer down to 800 for #4 veneer and 700 for #1 sawlogs down to 350 for pallet if I remember right it's been a month or so since I looked at a spec sheet
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

Quote from: Maine logger88 on March 30, 2015, 08:12:58 PM
Ours are 1200 for #1 veneer down to 800 for #4 veneer and 700 for #1 sawlogs down to 350 for pallet if I remember right it's been a month or so since I looked at a spec sheet
you will still be higher than us with your price drop  :( ;D ;D

HiTech

People tell me I crazy...maybe so. lol I have a feeling the price of logs has a direct tie to production. The faster and more we cut the less we get. Each year bigger and faster logging machines are being built. What use to take a crew of 3 or 4 all winter to do, these new machines do in a week. Face it...how much wood/logs can you produce before the market is flooded and prices drop? I know guys that shoot for 100 tractor trailer loads a week. That is a lot of wood...whether saw logs, pulp or chips, that is a lot of wood. Watch the buyers at a landing...Picky...I will say they are. A little bow was never too bad...now a little bow and it goes to the firewood pile. lol Machinery prices had just gotten way out of hand also. Big n Bad costs a lot. I love watching that big stuff work but the wood production is flooding the market.   

timberking

We are dropping our log prices again.  Down $10/ton for oak from last summer high.  Pine logs are holding because of tight supply( 10" over on rain)

BargeMonkey

Quote from: HiTech on March 31, 2015, 08:36:50 AM
People tell me I crazy...maybe so. lol I have a feeling the price of logs has a direct tie to production. The faster and more we cut the less we get. Each year bigger and faster logging machines are being built. What use to take a crew of 3 or 4 all winter to do, these new machines do in a week. Face it...how much wood/logs can you produce before the market is flooded and prices drop? I know guys that shoot for 100 tractor trailer loads a week. That is a lot of wood...whether saw logs, pulp or chips, that is a lot of wood. Watch the buyers at a landing...Picky...I will say they are. A little bow was never too bad...now a little bow and it goes to the firewood pile. lol Machinery prices had just gotten way out of hand also. Big n Bad costs a lot. I love watching that big stuff work but the wood production is flooding the market.   

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.  :D 

SwampDonkey

I know it goes on here. As soon as efficiency increases, price falls. It also falls when the government sells below cost of production or true value and they don't need your private wood. Plus being able to tell the seller what the price is, instead of the reverse. Royalties here are not set by government per se across the board, it is based on surveys of what mills will pay landowners for wood stumpage and in areas where it is mostly monopoly and not along the border towns where we can export to close by markets.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lopet

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 31, 2015, 10:24:20 AM
Quote from: HiTech on March 31, 2015, 08:36:50 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.  :D

x2
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Loghauler86

I agree that the main reason for the price drop is market saturation. I think personally one of main reasons is the cold winter and cold March, everyone has just been pumping the wood out. Had it been a warm winter with tight supply I think prices would have remained stable.

BargeMonkey

I want to say i feel bad for the guys with a huge skidder payment, but you cant forecast the future.  :D Other than logs for ourselves, and FW we are going to scale back on cutting the decent stuff for a while.  The price went down another 50 per mbft between tuesday and friday on the RO, any lower and the #3-#4 are going for FW.
You dont see alot of huge guys down here, but ive seen a few come and go quick, 100 loads a week to keep afloat your going to watch the bank load your stuff on the trailer.

xalexjx

the mill iv been sending quite abit to dropped hard maple across the board 75-100 a thousand. Leaving the nice stuff till the prices go back up.
Logging and Processed Firewood

Thank You Sponsors!