iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newer skid steer tier 4 emissions

Started by oakiemac, November 23, 2019, 01:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Looking to get a newer skid steer. Specifically looking at a 2014 and 2016 John Deere 332E. Looks like a great machine but my friend that helps me with mechanical issues has advised me to stay away from machines post 2010 because of the mandated emmsions stuff that they put on equipment greater then 76 hp.
just wondering if anyone has an newer machine with the tier 4 stuff on it and if they have issues. Also anyone know anything about the JD 332?
I'm thinking that getting an older machine might have its own issues being older.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Bandmill Bandit

On most of the machines in that power range with the emissions crap are mostly not great machines. There are countless stories of the disastrous problems in almost all of them.  

The best machines in the under 100HP power range for emissions compliance WITHOUT the additional crap are the Volvo powered units.

Volvo and JCB machines are well built and reliable. I think up to 90 HP do not have the additional emissions crap as they meet the requirement with out them. At least up to current production year. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

oakiemac

I though all equipment over 76hp since 2010 has had to have the emissions crap. Could be wrong
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Southside

A friend bought a new 90 something HP Bob Cat skid steer this summer for his tree service. Nice machine, 4 wheel steer or skid steer mode, lifts plenty of weight. Burns 60 gallons of diesel a day!!! Mostly because of the emissions junk she runs hot to stay clean. Brought it back to the dealership and they said it's working as designed. FWIW my 175 HP Cummins in my 40,000 lb skidder won't burn that much fuel in a whole day of work, and it is pre emission....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

charles mann

Mine is just a farm tractor, but it has that dang tier 4 crap. About every 4-6 hrs of operations, it has to do its regen. The last time, i was 10 min into shredding and the light came on, along with the temp gage indicating a lil high. I ran it for another 20 min and tried keeping the eng facing into the wind to help keep it cool and to blow the dust away from. 

Finally the ck eng light came on and it shut the pto off. I parked it, popped the hood, checked the coolant and it was low (had just replaced the radiator and evidently the thermostat nvr opened to pull the coolant in the eng. I topped the coolant off then fired it up for the regen. This regen is a PITA, but 2 yrs of owning it (knock on wood) no issues, other than shoving a tree stob in the radiator. 
Plus side, i dont have to add DEF like i do my dually. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

barbender

I struggle to understand how emissions are less when the tier4 engines are burning that much more fuel🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Bandmill Bandit

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

oakiemac

The tier four stuff probably does nothing,might even be worse for environment. Like some recycling but it makes some people feel good so we are stuck.
I'll probably try to find a pre emissions machine.

Thanks for the comments. 

wesdor

Not a skid steer but a combine. Yesterday while combining our corn with a 16 row head, the combine shut down after about 3 hours. Said it had to regenerate. 
Thankfully there were 2 other older (non tier 4) that could finish the field. I wouldn't touch a tier 4 if they gave it to me.  

oakiemac

wesdor, I think I'm with you on that. I'm going to go old school and get an older machine with no tier 4 stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!