iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed

Started by brianb88, October 19, 2015, 10:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianb88

I have found a used lt15 woodmizer for sale relatively close to me and under $3,000. I haven't seen it in person yet but the pictures show a decent looking used sawmill.  It seems like a decent mill for the $$. What are some things I need to look for as far as wear and tear, abuse, etc.?

I plan to use the mill for shed's, barn siding, decking, among other small home projects. Thanks in advance
Measure twice, cut once

Solomon

Ask the guy where he got the mill.
If he says he bought it new, ask to see the invoice.   Call woodmizer with the sieral #. they will tell you how old it is.
Check for play in the band wheel shaft bearings and all moving parts.   It's a fairly small simple mill.  Look at the guide bearings and check the drive clutch or whatever system it has to transfer power from the motor to the blade.    Look it over carefully to see if anything is bent or dammaged.
  Call woodmizer and ask them what to look for as well.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Sixacresand

That is a decent price.  I hope it works out for you.  Have the seller demonstrate it for you. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kbeitz

Any woodmizer for that price is a deal unless it crashed going down the road...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

brianb88

Thanks all for the replies. They really helped me ask the right questions. The seller has replied to my inquiry that his cousin is the second owner and it has a 15HP Kohler engine that hasn't been used much??. Still waiting on the serial #. Does anybody know where the serial # is located on an lt15?

The seller has invited me over to see the mill in action and the pictures show it in an obviously working shed. The lack of a serial # is a concern and I don't know if they just can't find it or what. If serial # isn't given I will not consider buying. How hard is it to get the serial #. What is the likelihood of someone stealing a sawmill to try and sell? To me that seems to be a really dumb idea. I mean how hard would it be to steal and sell a "hot" sawmill?
Measure twice, cut once

beenthere

brian
Been several incidences of stolen mills from members of this Forum. Not pretty, and don't know of any that have been found.
May hit the black market and go right to a container and then on a ship. Who knows....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tell him to crank her up and saw a log or 2.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

Woodmizer can tell you where to locate the serial number.  WM may also have recorded the serial number of the engine, if it is the original engine.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

brianb88

Thanks again for the help. Sawmill sold before I got the chance to look at it.
Measure twice, cut once

Thank You Sponsors!