iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crusarius’ sawmill build - started with Linn Lumber basic kit

Started by Crusarius, September 18, 2017, 01:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I figured somebody would come in and say it was terrible. Thanx everyone. I do really like the colors together.

So close to calling it complete. Then on to version 2? :)

Crusarius

So since i haven't put the final coat of paint on the carriage yet I decided to make some improvements.

One of my complaints I had from the beginning was how much effort it was to lift the head. So I added cam followers to the mast. Using something similar to @proptorudder posted at reply #303. Now instead of gouging and scraping the steel off each time it goes up or down it rolls nice and smooth. Takes quite a bit less effort to move it as well. Took the raise time from 2.5 minutes to roughly 1.5. 

Unfortunately in the process of adding the cam followers that added some more issues. My threaded rods now interfered with the cam followers. I was not able to have a final cut of less than 10". So I ended up moving the threaded rod forward with a 1" spacer. This may have helped make it go up easier because now it is closer to the heavy part of the head.

Now with the threaded rod 1" further forward the chain going across the top interferes with the muffler. 

So now I am working on redoing my chain setup to clear the muffler on the engine. 

In the process of redoing all that I decided to make it dual width capable. Now I am able to run 158" or 176" band. If my math is correct that gives me a 41" cut width.

Once I get the remainder of this fix done I will tear it apart and put final paint on it.

Crusarius

Cam follower on the mast. you can see how the paint and steel was removed from rubbing before the cam follower.

Finally got my rotary table setup and working. This is machining the spindle I am making for the chain relocation. I used a cam follower a block of steel and a 3/4" bolt with 2 sprockets. See below.

Here is what adjustable bracket for the chain looks like. The plan is to have a common chain run across the back of the mast with 2 short ones going to the threaded rod. This will make adjustability much easier.

Here is the finished spindle without the sprockets. I need to finish machining the sprockets and put that all together.

I also forgot to mention above I made the lifting blocks on the threaded rod float to take up the minor bit of deflection in the rods themselves.

bwstout

i enjoy reading what you are doing to your mill, I would love to have the skills you have on the machine. Weld I can do some fab work ok machine work  not very good just enough to be dangerous, bought a smithy 3/1 mill back in 96 never mastered but was able to do some machine work when I built my mill. But age has become a factor in comprehension ;D
home built mill

Crusarius

Thank you. I really appreciate that. It is kinda weird thinking about my skills, to me it just comes natural. Maybe its just because I never really was able to just go out and buy stuff. But I sure do enjoy the fabrication. I really love to teach, and showoff my work.

This thread is therapeutic :)

bwstout

Now you can have two reason to come to East Texas Cholate Pie and old man for a student :D
home built mill

Crusarius

Funny thing about that. My wife may have a USITT conference in Houston April 1-4 2020. Be a nice road trip. I enjoyed San antonio for one of the AWI conferences.

bwstout

We live right out of Atlanta TX, if you go down us 59 10 miles to my house from Atlanta
home built mill

proptorudder

Was the interference with the threaded rod due to the cam bearing diameter or lower threaded rod mount?

Crusarius

mostly the lower mount. but there was one point the diameter made the clearance very tight. as in paper fits through but nothing else tight. It did not actually touch but was close.

I wish I had slightly longer threaded rods then I could have eliminated the standoff.

Crusarius

It's done!!!!!! Just finished tweaking and re-aligning after paint. Now just need to cut something and see how I did on my alignment.

I still need to make adjustable toe boards, and log loader/roller but those will get bolted to the trailer.

Wide setting (176" blade) without guards cause I forgot to put  them on. They do fit.

Narrow setting (158" blade) with guards.

btulloh

HM126

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crusarius

Here are some of my first test cuts after finishing the mill. It just happened to be a random walnut tree branch I cut into 1/2" slabs. My wife wanted something like that for a project and it was convenient and easy :)

RAYAR

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Crusarius

Definitely cutting very nice. Extremely happy with it. Still pretty impressed since I had only ever seen a few sawmills and never run one before building this.

Of course now that I have built this one and used it the next one will be very different.

JEverettM

Nice build and thanks for sharing pics and progress. I read through your posts, took some notes, and made some changes to the design I'm working on!

Crusarius

Sweet. I would love to see what you got. I know my stuff is not perfect. Some of it works for me but will not work for other ppl. I always like new ideas.

Don't be afraid to start a build thread. Then we can all get involved :)

BigZ La

Quote from: Crusarius on July 15, 2019, 07:59:57 AM
Definitely cutting very nice. Extremely happy with it. Still pretty impressed since I had only ever seen a few sawmills and never run one before building this.

Of course now that I have built this one and used it the next one will be very different.
I have followed your build. What changes would you make. thanks for sharing.

Crusarius

still unsure if the threaded rod was the right solution for raise and lower. Lowering it is perfect. raising it is to slow.

Move the engine to the back side to change the rotation of the blade. Right now I have to flip all my blades since it runs opposite of woodmizer. 

Probably more things but thats all I can think of right now. 

I do have a plan for V2.0 in my head that I would love to play with but this one would need to be sold first. V2.0 will have a bigger budget and hydraulics.

Crusarius

I finally got around to remembering to take completed pics. I have been using this for a good amount of time now. I am still very happy how it turned out. I do have a list of things I would change that will probably be incorporated into V2.0 if somebody offers me the right amount of money for v1.0.

Old Greenhorn

Wow, that is a BEAUT! I'd kill for a solid bed like that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

It definitely does not flex at all. and with all 8 trailer jacks down I barely notice any movement. I was a little concerned at first but not now.

JEverettM

If my build comes out looking half that good @Crusarius , I'll be thrilled.

Right now, my sliding roller guide does not have the vertical support but will just cantilever from the sleeve. Do you think the vertical support that slides along with the guide is necessary?

Crusarius

on mine it totally was. I modified it to be dual width so the length the arm was cantilevered was excessive. Without the support when I would tension it I could watch the guide move up 1/8".

Thank You Sponsors!