iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with shingle mill

Started by bhandley, February 19, 2014, 08:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhandley

Does anyone know how to time the ratchets on a shingle mill? It's cutting the shingles straight with no bevel. I just purchsed this used mill and am trying to get it set up.
It's a Dunbar shingle mill.
Thanks!

Magicman

I can not help you but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bhandley.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

bhandley,welcome to the forum.
I have no idea what kind this one is,but I like to watch it run at Fryeburg,Me Fair.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Handly on all the shinglemills I've used the ratchet wheels have unevenly spaced notches you will have two close togather then a larger gap between. Turn one of the wheels one notch feeding then it should alternate giving you thick butt and thin top and next cut reverse that. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

whitepine2

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 20, 2014, 06:54:34 AM
Handly on all the shinglemills I've used the ratchet wheels have unevenly spaced notches you will have two close togather then a larger gap between. Turn one of the wheels one notch feeding then it should alternate giving you thick butt and thin top and next cut reverse that. Frank C.
What Frank says is true,however some of these mills were set up to saw box board and the dogs are evenly spaced and will only saw non tapered. Check it out if this is true you will need to get or make the two stepped dogs  Whitepine2

whitepine2

Quote from: thecfarm on February 19, 2014, 10:36:17 PM
bhandley,welcome to the forum.
I have no idea what kind this one is,but I like to watch it run at Fryeburg,Me Fair.

thecfarm this is a CHASE made in ORANGE MA. I got his brother.
     Whitepine2

nk14zp

The one my Dad had used different ratchet wheels  for box boards or shingles.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

bhandley

Thanks for replies! Not sure why I'm not receiving the email notifications when someone replies to my thread??
I figured out the problem. I manually turned the ratchet wheel one notch and then it started working. Thanks Frank C. for the advice.

thecfarm

Thank you whitepine.
Bhandley,go to Profile,that's in the Menu Bar above,starts out with Home,Help,Search,click onto Summary,in the drop down menu,this should take you to your profile,look for Modify,on the left side,than click onto Notifications and that will bring you to a page that you can set up how you want it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!