iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

palletizing firewood

Started by jimbarry, December 31, 2018, 05:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on September 18, 2019, 04:37:42 PM
2 ports, one circuit- correct?
2 hyd hoses, 1 toggle switch in the cab that's plugged in that switches between grabbing and rotating in combination with using one of the thumb buttons on the joystick of the skidsteer.

hedgerow

Jim 
I probably bought my first skid loader 25 years ago and over time got less and less farm tractors with loaders and haven't had a loader on a farm tractor in well over 10 years. Wouldn't be with out my skid loader. Last one I bought new in 2011 I wanted tracks but just couldn't spend that extra ten grand to get the tracks maybe next time corn goes to eight dollars a bushel I can trade for one with tracks. 

jimbarry

Quote from: hedgerow on September 18, 2019, 06:20:20 PM
Jim
I probably bought my first skid loader 25 years ago ...
I bought mine used in 2015, its  a2007 with 4200 hrs on it. Bought it over the internet, sight unseen and had it shipped to me. A big gamble but has served me well.

tamarackman

What dimensions are you pallets? I think you mentioned on your blog you make them yourselves.

Nice blog by the way; I've been binge reading it for the last few hours.

jimbarry

Quote from: SPDM on September 18, 2019, 06:40:10 PM
What dimensions are you pallets? I think you mentioned on your blog you make them yourselves.

Nice blog by the way; I've been binge reading it for the last few hours.
Current pallets are 48" x 32". Stacked 36" high.

Stephen1

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 06, 2019, 04:05:11 PM
They make ventilated firewood bags
I bought 10 to try this year
They preform well
Do you think you could add them directly into a kiln? Temperature of 160F
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

Quote from: barbender on September 18, 2019, 04:37:42 PM
2 ports, one circuit- correct?
yes male and female flat face couplers.  high flow.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

That's all you need to run one of those for hydraulics. There is an electric solenoid on the attachment that shifts between the two circuits on the attachment. So, you need to be able to plug the electric plug into your machine, if it has a plug for attachments. If yours doesn't, it's a pretty simple affair to run a wire and install a switch. They are typically just a 12 volt on/off.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

thanks.  I have an attachment called a crane by dirt works and I use it to pick logs off trailers and out of piles, but often need to get out or have someone help with getting skidding tongs off the log.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Stephen1 on September 20, 2019, 08:49:17 AM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 06, 2019, 04:05:11 PM
They make ventilated firewood bags
I bought 10 to try this year
They preform well
Do you think you could add them directly into a kiln? Temperature of 160F
I wouldn't put the bags in the kiln 
I don't think they would make it
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

quilbilly

Jimbarry where'd you get the bags? We currently make our own but are looking to get some made if the price is ok.
a man is strongest on his knees

jimbarry

Quote from: quilbilly on October 05, 2019, 06:31:11 PM
Jimbarry where'd you get the bags? We currently make our own but are looking to get some made if the price is ok.
Not sure what you mean. We don't use bags for firewood.

quilbilly

Looked like in a video on your YouTube page you used a mesh bag with a drawstring to package some firewood. Maybe I clicked on a suggested video after I watched one of yours.

jimbarry

No, you're correct. We do use mesh bags for kindling. Its just that we were talking about firewood, so I didn't connect the dots.

We bought those bags at bagsupplies.ca ... pricey. About $0.70 once landed here with freight cost included. Min order 1,000 bags.

quilbilly

We make our own, order the mesh bulk. We are at about .25 a bag. Trying hard to find a way to make the bagging process quicker and simpler. Even if it means paying more. .70 might be a bit much though.

jimbarry

Quote from: quilbilly on November 26, 2019, 06:16:05 PM
We make our own, order the mesh bulk. We are at about .25 a bag. Trying hard to find a way to make the bagging process quicker and simpler. Even if it means paying more. .70 might be a bit much though.
Where are you getting bulk mesh?

quilbilly

Not sure, the secretary does all the ordering. We use oyster bags and cut them to length then put a little bull ring on one end and zip tie the other when done. It's time consuming but she is on salary and does it in her spare time. I think our total cost is close to .25 per bag.

TCove

Quote from: doc henderson on January 01, 2019, 08:56:57 PM

This is how I store and move my wood.  have forks for my skid steer

Made the conveyor using a truck tarp gear reduction motor running off 12 volts.  Libby in the foreground.  wood drops in the basket.  made lids to cover from the plastic insides.
Doc, i really like that firewood bin.
Where'd you get that?

jimbarry

Quote from: TCove on May 19, 2020, 01:10:48 AM
Quote from: doc henderson on January 01, 2019, 08:56:57 PM

This is how I store and move my wood.  have forks for my skid steer

Made the conveyor using a truck tarp gear reduction motor running off 12 volts.  Libby in the foreground.  wood drops in the basket.  made lids to cover from the plastic insides.
Doc, i really like that firewood bin.
Where'd you get that?
Search for IBC tote bins that might be for sale in your area.

jimbarry

The mesh bags survive the kiln just fine. Though my kiln only goes to 125-128ºF. Handling them wnhile at that temp they are just the same as if at 70ºF room temp.

doc henderson

they are used to transport 250 gallon amounts of liquids.  used by road construction, and ag folks.  I have had over 18 of them.  4 of them is about a cord of wood stacked.  I throw it in loose to help with air drying.  If you look you can find them free.  mine had wax based concrete cure in them.  the company otherwise duh a hole, crushed them and covered them up.  some now have started charging for them.  I cut the inner plastic into covers, and even a mini paint booth for my shop.

Thank You Sponsors!