iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brand New Boat Anchor

Started by rmack, March 02, 2013, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

Well, I went to look at an old Belsaw 802 twin edger and couldn't help but drag it home. looks like it's going to be a while before it cuts again but at least it's a place to start. 8)

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

isawlogs

8) Hey, it ain't all that bad, it does still have some paint on it in some places.  ;D :D  That will be a nice edger once you give it a go over, a little elbow grease and some TLC will go far.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redbeard

I would have picked that up also, if its to far gone it would make nice log yard art. Nice score!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Just how big is your boat anyway  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Sometimes you got to do, what you got to do ;D  It ought to work, given enough tlc,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

loggah

looks good to me!! but most of my stuff is rusty! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Put a little earl on it and see if it will move.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Not earl, but genuine Blue Creeper. Nothing better for this application.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rmack

Surprising enough, most everything is free. The moveable saw is frozen on the arbor but I think it'll come loose fairly easy. Infeed/outfeed rollers all spin though the bearings are all bad. main bearings spin nice and smooth, but no visible place to grease them. blades are 12" so hopefully it will go to 4" lumber.

The worst of it seems to be bent and welded, and welded bent issues... fortunately I should be able to deal with that. :)

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Looks to still be in good shape, just got neglected!

Put the Creeper to it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

That looks like it's going to be a project. Looks like lots of fun :D
It will be nice when it's done though.
Allan

rmack

btw, I almost forgot, the guy I bought this from also has what he called a left hand mandrel for driving a circle mill saw. He said it is threaded differently for driving the saw from the carriage side so you don't have the drive shaft between you and the boards/flitches etc.

I bought the 48" saw that he was going to use, but have his contact info if anyone is interested.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

rmack

So anyways, I'm thinking that the best thing to do is start from scratch and basically build a new edger based on this design.

What would the rpm limit be for those saws? I'm thinking of using the same feed speed ratios but cranking the input rpm up. I do have access to some 40hp range diesel engines and can fabricate the frame etc out of steel.

Does anyone know what the main shaft operating rpm range would have been for the original belt driven pto design?

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Piston

I can't believe it didn't even come with an anchor line. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Brucer

A couple of safety issues to consider...

You need to have the top of your saw blade well above the top of the boards you are edging. The less blade is exposed at the top, the greater the chances of a board getting fired back at the operator.

Find out what the maximum RPM is before you run it, and don't exceed that limit. Also don't move the main support bearings further apart and don't add anymore weight to the main shaft. If you do any of these, there is a good chance you will set up a resonant condition that can cause something to fail suddenly. One of my former high school classmates lost her husband when the sawmill he was refurbishing blew apart.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

mayor

I rebuilt one and if you need any pics. just give me a holler.   They work really well once you have it adjusted!.

customsawyer

If you are going to build a new edger then you have lots of parts you could steal off of your anchor.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

rmack

Quote from: Brucer on June 17, 2013, 01:18:51 AM
A couple of safety issues to consider...

You need to have the top of your saw blade well above the top of the boards you are edging. The less blade is exposed at the top, the greater the chances of a board getting fired back at the operator.

Find out what the maximum RPM is before you run it, and don't exceed that limit. Also don't move the main support bearings further apart and don't add anymore weight to the main shaft. If you do any of these, there is a good chance you will set up a resonant condition that can cause something to fail suddenly. One of my former high school classmates lost her husband when the sawmill he was refurbishing blew apart.

I certainly don't want things, inc saw inserts, flying apart on me... also, I have been thinking, why would I ever want to manhandle a 4" thick slab?  :D

Quote from: mayor on June 19, 2013, 06:32:37 PM
I rebuilt one and if you need any pics. just give me a holler.   They work really well once you have it adjusted!.

I may well take you up on that offer.  :)

Quote from: customsawyer on June 19, 2013, 07:07:37 PM
If you are going to build a new edger then you have lots of parts you could steal off of your anchor.

I was thinking of copying the pieces that are there, with improvements where things have not stood up, particularly the bearings, however, the whole thing really looks beat up. pretty well everything I inspect closely is bent, nonetheless its probably a good reference.  :)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!