iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

interstate shipping of wood products

Started by Josef, September 03, 2015, 09:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josef

Hello,

not sure if this is the right area to ask this question, hope so, are there restrictions or requirements to ship wood parts from PA to both FL and OH, i.e., do they need to be kiln dried, heat treated, etc. I want to ship cherry table parts for two farm trestle tables to my son in Florida and Son in law in Ohio

We have several pallet manufacturers in the area and they are all heat treating their pallets now (green sawn lumber) before delivery, several have a "stamp" they use to certify this treatment.

Must I, or should I do the same for these parts, they are air dried first, then kiln dried in a solar kiln but not "sterilized". These parts have some live edges with sapwood and bark. Would hate to have the wood intercepted and destroyed because I failed to meet a requirement.

I am building a small dh kiln where I will be able to sterilize, but it won't be done until I get some more "spare" time later in the winter.

Joe

In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Delawhere Jack

Most counties in south eastern PA have walnut under quarantine, and allow no movement of firewood into or out of these counties. Not sure about your corner of PA. Probably best to check the state Dept of Agriculture website.

Actually, a call to your county Ag Extension office might get you answers more accurately and quicker.

Josef

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll call them in the am,

Joe

In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Josef

Interesting, so far my inqueries have yielded only the prohibition on moving walnut from PA and a total ban on moving firewood or mulch out of the state and in some areas a ban on moving it out of a county.

No restriction on processed (not in log form) hardwoods that refer to kiln drying, heat treating or sterilization if the wood ships within the US beyond the requirement that bark be removed.

The holiday weekend must be why I'm still waiting for return calls from the USDA and the Pennsylvania Dept of Ag. I did speak with two heat treaters and one company that certifies those heat treaters.

Joe

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have never heard of any restrictions for movement of lumber and lumber products when the lumber has been kiln dried.  The few insects that attack dry wood are plentiful throughout the U.S., so quarantines would not be helpful.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Josef

Thank you GeneWengert-WoodDoc, this is what has been passed on to me by others as well, getting it from the "Doc" reassures me that I'm on the right track.

I have quite a few cherry and spalted maple slabs that need to start going into the kiln next, and a dh kiln to finish in my shop to finish them. This retirement thing is really working out, just don't know how I ever had time to work before.

On a side note, I really enjoyed sitting in on your talks at the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio this year, thats what motivated me to build a solar kiln. Thank you,

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!