iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire chains

Started by Plankton, January 01, 2016, 04:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plankton

I spent the morning researching choices for tire chains for my clark 664.
Alot of good information but I found some different opinions, some people said only run chains on all four tires otherwise youll ruin planetarys. Others said you can run them on two only.

I just started my logging business and I'm working on my first sale now. The weather this year has been fighting me every step of the way. If I had chains  I could be working  at least half of the days I'm not now .

I only have the budget to buy two tire chains, is it ok to only run 2 Chains on a Clark? If so is the front or back preferable, there's barely any room for chains on the front tires my thoughts were to get two chains and put them on the back. But then I would have less traction for steering.

Ideally I would just buy all four chains but that's not possible right now. I was looking at TCR.com I like the Double net chains. Most people around here run bear paws on the front and ice chains on the back usually single diamond. I'm not really interested in the bear paws I would probably run 4 Ice Chains.

Anyways mostly just wondering if I can run two chains on my Clark, or should I just wait and save up and buy all four?
Also how anybody dealt with the limited space on a Clark for front chains.

Thanks, Daniel

starmac

Just a new loggers experience here. He bought a timberjack that had chains on the rear when he purchased it. He ran it last season like that but it did not steer well at all. I mentioned that all I had ever seen running one set of chains, ran them on the front, he changed them for this season and it made a huge difference in the machines capabilities.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ken

We usually only ran chains on the front tires of our line skidders.  Chains on all four is nice but overkill much of the time imho.  I have run ring chains and ice chains and both work well in the particular application they are designed for.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

BargeMonkey

Ice chain is great for just that, ice. A set of close ring chains from TCR is the biggest performance upgrade you can do.
I have a set of worn but usable 18.4 single diamond ice chains out back. They are yours if you want them. Take a little bit of work but would get you by for a while.

timberlinetree

Just make sure that your ring chains on the front are tight. I have had limbs get caught between the chains and tire and almost got javlined(stabbed) /bonked a few times. I really should have screens/doors on our skidder. Keep chains tight and work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Spartan

In my experience, you'll want to run the chains where the weight is, usually the front.  I am a big supporter of 4 chains but if you have budget for two then so be it.  you won't get as far as 4.  Bear paws for rock and heavy debris and steep.  Ice chains never came close on that stuff for traction with me.  On flat might not make a difference, but that's a foreign situation to me.

Might look for a used set but most are trashed, might get lucky though.  I would rather have 4 at 50% then 2 at 100%.  Just my opinion.

As far as two only, I think you're ok if you don't run on hard surfaces a lot, (roads and that stuff)  Gotta have some give.  If anything I think it would trash your difs rather than a planetary.  That's more what I would worry about on harder surfaces.  another note, if you have different tire wear, put them on the two most worn tires.

xalexjx

i run tight rings front, and ice chains in the rear, if only had one set id put them on the front.
Logging and Processed Firewood

OntarioAl

This is how the jewelry is set up on my machine. Bear pads on the front and ice chains on the back. Please note the warn down tires chains will rapidly wear out the lugs on new tires but will run for years on "bald" tires.
Al
Al Raman

Plankton

Thanks for all the input. I have lots of hills on my main skid trail but the woods are flat on this particular sale. Lots of steep ground around here though so it looks like tight rings on the front and ice chains on back. I guess I'll get a set if bear paws for the front then and wait for the rear chains.

I can't find any used chains around here. so I'll have to buy new but I don't have to worry about chains running down my lugs cause I ain't got any haha

Thanks so much for the offer barge monkey but I think my tires are 23.1s looked today but all the writing Is worn off except for one tire that I can barely make out forestry special.

Anybody have experience with tire chains on the front of a clark 664 skidder and clearances? Before I make the purchase I want to be sure I don't need to get half inch or something so it will fit.

Brandon1986

I think its all pretty much been said, but I second (or third) the chains on the front favoring a full set when money allows.  I have an old 668 with 4 bear paws and that bad mamajamma will (has) climbed ice hills with a full turn behind it.  A skidder without a full set of jewelry, just isn't quite complete if you ask me, at least not up here in the ice and snow..

BargeMonkey

Your pictures look like 23.1s, I figured I would offer, takes a little effort and a 3rd chain to stretch them but it can be done. If your tires are really worn down I wouldn't spend big money on great chain, taking a torch to new chains tends to hurt a bit. TCR is the best deal going, I wouldn't waste the money on chinese knockoff chain if you plan on keeping the machine.

Plankton

I was looking at the American chains tight rings 5/8. One thing I didn't realize was the pricing on there was for two not one so 1700 for two isn't bad. I'm still only going to get one set for now though.

millcreek40

I thought that 18.4-34 & 23.1-26 took the same chains. Could be wrong
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

coxy

Quote from: millcreek40 on January 04, 2016, 08:07:16 PM
that's what mine says on the tag 18-4-34or 23-1-26 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on January 04, 2016, 09:55:59 PM
Quote from: millcreek40 on January 04, 2016, 08:07:16 PM
that's what mine says on the tag 18-4-34or 23-1-26
I should have said 18.4x26.   :D.   I'm looking for a 23.1 Bearpaw chain in decent shape if someone comes across one.

Nemologger

For a smoother ride I run multi ring bear paws on the front and I mean I  get them tight..I converted a handy man jack into a chain tightener.
Best place I've found for skidder chains is Tirechain.com
Clean and Sober

Thank You Sponsors!