iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bolens Diesel Tractor

Started by KBforester, November 13, 2011, 10:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KBforester

Hi everyone,

I've got a 1983 Bolens Iseki G244, its a 2 cyl diesel, 24 hp. Its a nifty little tractor, but its pretty rare and parts are hard to find/ and or are expensive.  I need a starter motor for it ($480), and I'm worried about what else might break in the future.

If you were in my situation, what would you do? Fix it and keep on running it? Fix it and sell it? Sell it as is?

Its just about the right size and power for what I want... skidding small firewood logs, brush hogging, hauling stuff around the property... etc. It's not a daily use machine.

If you were going to replace it, what would you replace it with?

Thanks
Trees are good.

T Welsh

KBforester, I have many diesels and yes the starters are big money. find a rebuild shop in your area and have them rebuild it. it will cost you a lot less money. as for trading in or up for something else? that,s your call :) any machine made by man will be broken by man.(Tim,s Law) nothing lasts forever, and all machines break something along the way, and they always do it at the wrong time :D Tim

Holmes

I say keep it until you decide exactly what would be the best tractor for you.  I figured out a tractor with cab, heat and ac was what I would like best particularly when snow blowing.  
 Check the ground wire from the battery to the engine or frame. Make sure it is well connected, {no rust} The ground wire can create a lot of problems with diesels and starters...
Holmes
Think like a farmer.

John Mc

If that's the price for a new starter motor, have you looked on ebay for a used one?

As Tim mentioned, a rebuild may be the way to go. Depending on what's wrong with it, that can be pretty inexpensive.

If you are looking for another tractor, someone has a thread here in the general board with the title "whats a good compact tractor?" That might be worth a read, though the poster their was probably looking for something larger than what you have.

Another good resource for small tractors:  www/tractorbynet.com
There are some very knowledgeable people on there who can steer you in the right direction. There tends to be a bias towards "bigger is better" (and maybe they're right. You don't often hear people complaining that they wish they'd bought a smaller tractor). So be prepared to have people tell you the only thing worth considering to replace your 24 HP Bolens is a 45 HP, 4000# compact tractor. On the whole, though, you can get some good advice there. As in most other web boards, it pays to browse a while to get an idea of who really knows what they are talking about, and who is just blowing smoke.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

KBforester

Thanks everyone. There is the one problem with the rebuild idea. The plastic housing on the starter (magnetic switch actually) is cracked/broken where the terminal is.

I had the starter tested... they said it was fine, so when I reinstalled it, I tightened a connection on the terminal and it broke  :( . I'm pretty paranoid about anything else plastic at this point. Not that there is a lot of it, but I'm afraid if I break something else I won't be able to replace it.

The only thing ebay turns up are glow plugs... I wouldn't be surprised if once in a while some parts for the tractor come up, but its not something regular.

Trees are good.

snowstorm

Quote from: KBforester on November 13, 2011, 10:42:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I've got a 1983 Bolens Iseki G244, its a 2 cyl diesel, 24 hp. Its a nifty little tractor, but its pretty rare and parts are hard to find/ and or are expensive.  I need a starter motor for it ($480), and I'm worried about what else might break in the future.

If you were in my situation, what would you do? Fix it and keep on running it? Fix it and sell it? Sell it as is?

Its just about the right size and power for what I want... skidding small firewood logs, brush hogging, hauling stuff around the property... etc. It's not a daily use machine.

If you were going to replace it, what would you replace it with?

Thanks       i find it cheaper to have starters and alt. repaired. call rons auto elc. in winsor

Taylortractornut

THe plastic part of the starter  could be sourced from several places.   My starter man   looks like a hippy but is brilliant.    I had a super off brand chinese diesel that was on a friends  mixer her got from  northern.     The plastid end peace broke out.    northern wanted 500 for a new starter.     We measured and  looked throught the catalouge and found one for a Ford starter that was similare and its stil running.

Other parts my be outsourced bearing wise and seals.  THe motor may have an aftermarket kit for it.     You could probably run it for many years with out a  problem
My overload permit starts after sunset

Woodwalker

I sold one, don;t remember the model several years ago. Water pump had gone out, new replacement parts were very costly. Had the old pump rebuilt, cleaned up the tractor, got a good price for and applied that to a new green one. 
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

thecfarm

I myself would not buy a Bolens now due to parts. You have to find parts yourself or be able to make something else work. I'm not really the best at the above. But another tractor like that will run you some money too. How about a ATV? I know,pricey too,but you may get more use out of it too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KBforester

I had thought about an ATV. I could probably make it do everything I wanted the tractor to do... except maybe dig post holes. But that's kind of a one time thing anyway. But if I wanted to mow the field for example I'd need one of those tow behind mowers which are more expensive than the PTO ones....A set of tracks on an ATV would be nice for the woodlot because the ground is so dang soft.
Trees are good.

beenthere

A set of tracks on an ATV ??  That sounds interesting, but don't understand.

I had an ATV but didn't find it to come even close to replacing my subcompact JD 4300.  To ride around quick and move light loads, then the ATV was ok. And it had power to pull, but nothing like the 4300 nor I suspect your Bolens.  And the ATV's can be a repair nightmare IMO.

For wood moving, a set of forks on the FEL in place of the bucket does wonders.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KBforester

Quote from: beenthere on November 14, 2011, 11:33:23 AM
A set of tracks on an ATV ??  That sounds interesting, but don't understand.

I had an ATV but didn't find it to come even close to replacing my subcompact JD 4300.  To ride around quick and move light loads, then the ATV was ok. And it had power to pull, but nothing like the 4300 nor I suspect your Bolens.  And the ATV's can be a repair nightmare IMO.

For wood moving, a set of forks on the FEL in place of the bucket does wonders.

Right, I wouldn't expect an ATV to pull like a tractor. The bolens does alright with pulling, if I put some weight on the front. Problem with it is the narrow tires and the soft ground. Its all clay around here with no bottom. July and August are pretty good... and winter is hit or miss. If there is enough water in the ground and we get snow before a stretch of cold, is just like fall. I've only got small trees to work with here in Downeast Maine. Mostly fir and larch. But still, skidding is hard on these little machines.

I've never owned an ATV so your opinion on their Repair is appreciated. I've never owned one because I don't find just riding around particularly appealing. Here is a setup that I would be aiming for if I were to go that route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZCDJoZPnvU&feature=related

But then I'm talking about big $$ just for the tracks alone.
Trees are good.

shelbycharger400

kb...    you always can put dual wheels on the back of the bolens.  Im not shure on the wheels you have,nor the size of ur machine,  but some guys i know that are into the cub cadett tractors are making axle spacers to make it happen.  those guys are pullin 2 and 3 bottom plows with the 129 cubs ect , thats heavy abuse..lol

KBforester

Yea I've thought of that. With the wheels I've got it would be pretty easy to do. The rear wheels anyways.
Trees are good.

Woodchuck53

Had a magneto housing on a Lincoln 200 crack one day. Machine wouldn't start and this turned out to be the problem. Put the housing in a vise and slowly flexed it to open the crack and squirted RTV in it. Released the pressure and 5 yrs. later still using the same housing. Is there enough of the starter cover there to do something like this?
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

KBforester

I thought about that. But the break occurred around a bolt... so I'm afraid it would make things more difficult, especially since I need to tighten the bolt once the repair was finished.
Trees are good.

Thank You Sponsors!